Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drive belt options..?  (Read 1162 times)

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
Drive belt options..?
« on: 26 July 2009, 21:23:55 »

I have stripped the air con comperssor from my engine. I believe that there is an engine option without aircon, so will that belt fit a 3.0 V6 ?

I also dont need the power steering pump, but I will fabricate a bracket to mount the pump & pulley in the same location to suit the belt as it will foul the water pump pully without it.

Bent valve

• View Profile
Re: Drive belt options..?
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2009, 21:58:42 »

What you need is a belt for a 2litre 16v WITH aircon.
 I did the same thing when my compressor went tits up :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2009, 22:01:49 »

Can't you just run a belt over the crank pulley, under the water pump pulley to the tensioner and then back down via the alternator? Looks like it might work...

Failing that an extra idler pulley as you say.

if you run a bit of string round the pulleys and measure its' length in mm then have a rummage in Halfrauds you will soon find something the right length, or close enough. The part number is normally a combination of the length in mm and the number of poly-v's i.e. 092506 would be 925 mm long and 6 vees (from memory, but it will be clear when you look at a couple).

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2009, 22:13:26 »

Can't you just run a belt over the crank pulley, under the water pump pulley to the tensioner and then back down via the alternator? Looks like it might work...

if you run a bit of string round the pulleys and measure its' length in mm then have a rummage in Halfrauds you will soon find something the right length, or close enough. The part number is normally a combination of the length in mm and the number of poly-v's i.e. 092506 would be 925 mm long and 6 vees (from memory, but it will be clear when you look at a couple).

Kevin

I can see where you are going with that route, it will only give a waterpump contact area of about 25% of the pully as opposed to 75% on the conventional route.

Thanks for the belt info, will have a mooch.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2009, 12:16:54 »

Kevin

That would rotate the water pump the wrong way....which on some makes of pump,will make a difference

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2009, 12:58:13 »

That would rotate the water pump the wrong way....which on some makes of pump,will make a difference

Would it? Water pump normally runs the opposite way to the crank pulley IIRC? So if it's running off the back of the belt it'll go the right way, I think.

Either way, running it backwards is best avoided, as you say.

Maybe adding an idler would be better. There wouldn't be much belt contact on either the water pump or the alternator pullies with my scheme. Water pump will not present much load so unlikely to be a problem but the alternator will be a different matter.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2009, 20:09:38 »

Vx Part Nº 93181718 - V6 aux belt no aircon or 2.0Lit aux belt with aircon - £17 on TC  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2009, 23:03:20 »

Vx Part Nº 93181718 - V6 aux belt no aircon or 2.0Lit aux belt with aircon - £17 on TC  :y

:y Thanks

martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.