Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Con - some pointers please  (Read 1980 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Air Con - some pointers please
« on: 30 July 2006, 08:44:18 »

Hello All

Okay Aircon, to me anyway, is a waste of space in a car in this country. I never ever use it - remember you guys down south a heatwave in Scotland is when it doesnt rain  :-[

But even we have had some sun recently and i decided to play with my aircon.

I am totally ignorant on the subject so could someone dispell some myths and answer a few questions.

My dad says air con in vauxhall is notoriously poor and should be run one a week every week - true or false?
Bacteria builds up if its never used true or false?
Whats the best setting to put it on ?
Should the eco button be used in conjunction with air con?
Generally i drive with everything air con/ climate control off - if i am hot i open windows!! what does everyone else do?
Finally - when i tried the air con...when its hot its roasting but when its cold its errr well not exactly freezing - do i need a re gas  :o

thanks and apologies for the ignorance!!
« Last Edit: 30 July 2006, 08:46:27 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
Re: Air Con - some pointers please
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2006, 09:17:54 »

My dad says air con in vauxhall is notoriously poor and should be run one a week every week - true or false?
Not true, AC on VX isn't as strong as it could be, but, its good. All AC system should be run regulaury, stops the compressor packing in and the seals drying out.

Bacteria builds up if its never used true or false?
True, You can get an aerosol cleaner that will deal with this. You put the AC on, turn on Recirc, fire this thing off in the car, close the doors and leave it to it.

Whats the best setting to put it on ?
Depends how cold you want it. For extra cold, ten use teh recirc as well. Then the AC is cooling already cool air, not the warm air from the outside.

Should the eco button be used in conjunction with air con?
This would turn off the compressor, and stop the cooling effect of the AC. Doing this for long periods isn't good for the compressor.

Generally i drive with everything air con/ climate control off - if i am hot i open windows!! what does everyone else do?
My AC doesn't work (needs a regas) but usually I let the ac keep me cool. Opening causes drag, and uses more fuel. Running AC uses more fuel too, but only about the same as opening the window. And you dont have to worry about messed up hair (Not an issue for me as I look like Duncan Goodhew)

Finally - when i tried the air con...when its hot its roasting but when its cold its errr well not exactly freezing - do i need a re gas  :o
WHen was the system last done? AC Should be drained and regassed every 3 yrs.

« Last Edit: 30 July 2006, 09:18:45 by cipher »
Breaking a 1996 'N' 2.5 V6 Omega
PM For Details

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2006, 09:29:06 »

Air con is a damn useful feature, winter or summer.
In the winter it is very helpful in defrosting the windows and is a huge help to stop them steaming up when it is very wet (not unknown in Scotland...  ;))

Air con in the Omega is actually very very good.
If you don't have it on normally, I do recommend runing it at least once a week for a few minutes to keep the system lubricated.

Bacteria will certainly build up in the system if it is not used. This can be treated easily enough. You buy cans of stuff to do the job in Halfords.

The best setting is personal preference. If it is climate (digital temp settings) then choose your preferred temp and press auto. It will then automactically keep the cabin at that temp regardless of what is going on outside.
If it is manual, ie rotary dials, then set to a mix of screen and front vents at a temp that is comfortable.

ECO button disables the air con.

Generally I drive with the climate set to 20 degrees and on auto (when I get to use the MV6!)

If you set it to cold, and it is not freezing the **** off you, then an air con service is highly recommended! :)
Expect to pay £60 ish for a decent independant.

I would not buy another car without air con, just too good a feature. :)
The Administrator.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2006, 09:54:27 »

Vaux use standard off the shelf parts for aircon (and many other items) which many of the other manufacturers use....its very eliable but, you have to look after it (keep it topped up and use it regularly)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2006, 11:26:51 »

Guys, as ever many thanks  ;)

i reckon its time for a regas - Spend quite a bit on the Omega in that last month but it was coming one day as i have never had to do anything but tax and test it -  no notice in the history of it being done and i have had it 18 months as well.

On Cold iits sort of "air temp" but on hot it is hot. Its digital climate control too that i have.

Its now set up and will run it a few times a week to keep it tipping over till regas is squeezed in  ;)

hmmmm, wifes Safrane is similar when it comes to cold air that obviously needs done too - wonder if i can get a buy one get one free  ;D
« Last Edit: 30 July 2006, 11:28:17 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2006, 11:47:06 »

Considering you have climate, once regassed (and treated for bacteria!) I recommend you leave it on auto in future. It just does what it needs to and you will realise just how good it is! :)

Test the system now. with the car just idling, note the revs with the climate off. It should be around 500rpm.
Now press the auto button. It should increase to 600-650rpm.

If it doesn't, then there is most likely no gas at all in the system... and that is not good.
The Administrator.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2006, 15:08:13 »

Considering you have climate, once regassed (and treated for bacteria!) I recommend you leave it on auto in future. It just does what it needs to and you will realise just how good it is! :)

Test the system now. with the car just idling, note the revs with the climate off. It should be around 500rpm.
Now press the auto button. It should increase to 600-650rpm.

If it doesn't, then there is most likely no gas at all in the system... and that is not good.
The revs will rise when the Climate Control is "switched on" whether the compressor clutches in or not. I found this out last Easter when discovered my A/C wasn't working - long story but it was an electrical fault associated with the compressor.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2006, 21:04:34 »

yp, right as ever Dave  ;)

Car idles just a fraction under 500rpm
aircon on and it goes up to around 600-650

So theres at least gas in it for now! regas is now on the list!

cheers
mark

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2006, 22:15:47 »

My climate has never worked since I got the car.

Compressor never cuts in, assuing the low pressure switch is keeping it that way.

I know that thisisn't good for the system, but casn afford to re-gas at the mo, as have just had to pay for the front end!
Breaking a 1996 'N' 2.5 V6 Omega
PM For Details

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2006, 22:36:26 »

I know my commpressor is working , clutch engages, when air con is switched on, you can hear it working too, and the fans switch in too !

In need of a re-gas now though as no cold air !

Anyhow, my revs hardly change, well no more than about 50 rpm anyhow !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.