Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RUNNING TEMP  (Read 1989 times)

simon p from donny

• doncaster,s yorkshire
  • elite v6,directors car on my cortina wages.top buy
    • View Profile
RUNNING TEMP
« on: 06 August 2006, 07:57:25 »

A VERY GOOD MORNING EXPERTS(NOT ME)
THE USUSAL QUESTIONS AGAIN IAM AFRAID.

I HAVE A 2.5V6 ELITE AND BY THE SMELL OF THE EXHAUST PIPE (BURNIN OIL) I NEED TO DO MY ROCKER GASKETS AND CLEAN THE BREATHERS.
WHEN THIS IS DROPPING THE OIL DOWN THE BACK AND PRESSURISING THE OIL -WOULD IT MAKE IT RUN HOTTER THAN NORMAL.
I TOOK HER FOR A RUN YESTERDAY -SOME MOTORWAY AND SOME "A ROAD" DRIVING.THE MOTORWAY RUN AT 95 FAIRLY CONSTANT BUT WHEN I WAS DOING 40 ON THE A630 IN DONCASTER IT WENT UPTO 100,THE FAN CAME IN AND DROPPED TO 97,THEN UPTO 100 ,FAN CAME IN AND SO ON!

IAM GLAD THE FAN COMES IN BUT IS THIS NORMAL ,AS THE CAR WAS MOVING AT 40 EVEN WITH A COUPLE OF TRAFFIC LIGHTS.
THE AIR CON WASN'T ON AND IT DOESN'T USE MUCH WATER AT ALL.

COULD IT BE ROCKER G RELATED??
OH LAST QUESTION-IT IDLES ABOUT 650 REVS PER MIN STEADILY NO ERATTIC  WITHOUT AIR CON ON,IS THIS LOW??
elite v6,more toys than woolworths,comfier seats than my front room.just need a tv in the car then i could live there -cr tax cheaper than bloody council tax.

RonaldMcBurger

Re: RUNNING TEMP
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2006, 08:13:32 »

Check your water level just to make sure it is correct and there is no sludge in the header tank (oil coller failure). Temperature is about right, should be around 98 in this weather.

Idle should be about 600ish, so again spot on.

simon p from donny

• doncaster,s yorkshire
  • elite v6,directors car on my cortina wages.top buy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2006, 09:33:57 »

water level is fine ,fans cut in etc and its running fine(don't speak too soon)
it was the temp that concerned me !!
especially when i have read some threads that say their temp never moves,having said that on the guage the min is 90 and the max is 100 so they are 10 degrees betwen the two.#
my mondeo has 60-120 as the min/ max.
 no oil in my water!i will go back to bed then
elite v6,more toys than woolworths,comfier seats than my front room.just need a tv in the car then i could live there -cr tax cheaper than bloody council tax.

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2006, 10:42:33 »

Do the V6s tend to run cold in winter (if you know what I mean)?

Last winter I noticed the temp barely moved off cold in cold weather. If I was on motorway or used aircon it was even more noticeable. It seems fine in summer.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2006, 11:03:14 »

B52 - My V6 does not run cold in the winter.  When warmed up, and it always suprises me how quickly it warms up, the gauge indicates about 93oC.   I would suspect your thermostat TBH.

Simon p - My fans cut in at under 100oC - I would say at around 97.  My idle is 500 RPM with climate (air con) off and 650 with it on.  If the fan was coming in at 100 with the car moving at 40MPH, I would suspect a problem withe the rad or at least the air flow over it.  Are (is) there any leaves / dead flies / dust covering it for example??  If not, there could be a low flow rate through it which could be cured by flushing.

Finally, have you checked the antifreeze mixture?  If not strong enough i.e. 50 % Antifreeze and 50% water, this could also cause the engine to run hotter (but not the fans coming in at 40MPH).  Don't forget that antifreeze also has cooling agents in addition to corrosion and freeze protection.

In your position, I would check the air flow over the rad, and blow out any dust, caught flies etc with a footpump.  Then I would flush the rad to check the water flow rate.  Finally, refill the system with a fresh mix of 50% soft water and 50% antifreeze.

Hope that helps and sorry for the long winded post.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2006, 11:07:08 »

The two V6 I had so far behaved the same:

Motorway driving in winter - engine can stay very cold, e.g. 80-85 even on a long drive. But this is the only time the engine is running cold.

Town driving - temp gauge goes up and down between (roughly) 95 and 100 as the fans cut in etc.

However, the gauge is just a tad below 100, never actually reaching it. But then it is well down to 95.

As for the other posts here, firstly if the gauge does not go all the way down to 95 (or less) when the fans cut in, then there is a problem with either the cooling system, the gauge, or the sender (don't just assume the gauge is accurate). It is not right in my opinion if the fans can't cool the engine down below 97 even on a hot day.

Then, if the car is automatic and mildly driven, the engine will rev very very low and as result the coolant circulation is slow - so on a hot day even at 40mph you could see the fans cutting in.

The V6 in the Omega does not work too hard and it's cooling is efficient, if the cooling system is in good nick (fresh coolant, good stat, no sediment or blockages etc) then the engine should not overheat even on the hottest of days.

« Last Edit: 06 August 2006, 11:08:11 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2006, 16:33:23 »

Mine used to run quite cool too in winter while on the motorway, 80-85 degrees. Probably the thermostat opening a bit too early, but it's such a minor issue and a complete nightmare to change on this car so I'm not bothered about it.

infinity1

• sunny south east
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2006, 21:05:54 »

sat on the m25/m23 tonight for 3 hours! doing about 10mph..the gauge fluctuated between,95 -100 then the fan cuts in just below 100,takes it down to 93(?) then you get some speed up cool it down etc, what was most worrying was as i pulled up to a junction needle was just over 90 at this point,as i slowed/stopped it rocketed up to 100 then the fan cut in,could this be a sign of a blocked rad,or a rad that needs cleaning????
mechanics? not me at all mate...

infinity1

• sunny south east
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2006, 21:08:35 »

rad flush maintenence guide anyone please????????
mechanics? not me at all mate...

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2006, 21:45:00 »

sat on the m25/m23 tonight for 3 hours! doing about 10mph..the gauge fluctuated between,95 -100 then the fan cuts in just below 100,takes it down to 93(?) then you get some speed up cool it down etc, what was most worrying was as i pulled up to a junction needle was just over 90 at this point,as i slowed/stopped it rocketed up to 100 then the fan cut in,could this be a sign of a blocked rad,or a rad that needs cleaning????

Rad flush and coolant change are always a good thing, but what you describe sounds absolutely normal to me...

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2006, 21:47:18 »

Rad flush and coolant change are always a good thing, but what you describe sounds absolutely normal to me...

That's the crash between the lorry and the car where four people died? They closed that part of the M25 for most of the day today. Hope you weren’t on the way to Gatwick to catch a flight ...  ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2006, 06:53:54 »

Courtesey of MJ http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1154811901
I like red cars

R-PAC

• lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2006, 10:04:41 »

when we first got our V6 it ran at about 95 most of the time and up at about 100 if driven hard,
we then had to tow caravan and temp ran at about 95 at a stead speed but in traffic and on hills it shot up into the red,
after the weekend away we check the rad and found a small cold spot, gave it a flush - no better so fitted a new rad and this cured it, it now runs at about 90 most of the time and at about 95 when driven hard but drops back to 90 very quickly as soon as i drive steady again.
towing caravan it still runs at 90ish and 95ish on hill and in heavy traffic.

jeff

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2006, 10:14:49 »

when we first got our V6 it ran at about 95 most of the time and up at about 100 if driven hard,
we then had to tow caravan and temp ran at about 95 at a stead speed but in traffic and on hills it shot up into the red,
after the weekend away we check the rad and found a small cold spot, gave it a flush - no better so fitted a new rad and this cured it, it now runs at about 90 most of the time and at about 95 when driven hard but drops back to 90 very quickly as soon as i drive steady again.
towing caravan it still runs at 90ish and 95ish on hill and in heavy traffic.

jeff

Sounds good  :), mine alot of the time sits at around 95, in traffic it sometimes goes up and the fans bring it down again and 90 with the AC on granted it could be better but as seen in another thread my rad is in need of replacement so will more than likely be causing the problem. Wonder if mine will be similar when replaced.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2006, 10:16:00 by nixoro »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.