Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a quick update....  (Read 16530 times)

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
Re: Just a quick update....
« Reply #60 on: 21 August 2006, 12:12:07 »

Ok, i see your point better now! I suppose if, in the future, i wanted the cams done it's no big deal to whip them out and get them done.

I hadn't thought about the lifters and followers until Markjay said, shame really  :(

I'll still have to wait 2 weeks for Grant to get back if i want the heads done though....And then add on the time to do them and the rebuild time. I want my Omega back  :'(

I've called Autovaux and they're getting back to me on a price for a full set of lifters and followers....

Martin_1962

« Reply #61 on: 21 August 2006, 12:17:47 »

Last time I tuned an engine I took it from 69bhp to 65bhp to 115bhp.

The drop was caused by a rebore using L/C pistons (they supplied wrong ones!!!!).

Twin carbs and Kent cam helped to get it to around 90, VERY heavy head skim (60 thou) to around 100, Hepolite pistons and K&N filters to 115 (silly CR)

Only mild porting!

Easier/cheaper to tune the high torque than locate a sports version.

If I had the money I could have gone bigger on the valves, could have gone DCOEs could have gone wilder on the cam, I have seen a 160bhp version of the same lump!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21 August 2006, 12:26:06 »

Why would anyone want 1 lifter?  :-? And that 1 looks very slightly different to mine...

Martin, sounds like you've done some impressive tuning yourself! When i had my gsi Nova i bought twin 40's, round port inlet manifold for the 40's, a kent ast2 cam, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, ported and flowef 1.6 head and a couple of other bits.....It's just i never got round to fitting them all!  ;D But when i sold all the bits off again i made a decent profit so it wasn't all bad.

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 21 August 2006, 12:34:05 »

Thats the old style and they have 20 avalable, and thats a cheap price as they are over £10 each to me COST.
the later style fitted to 99 model year V6's has a slimmer piston but you have to fit new style T vents to fit those.

What, like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Valve-Lifter-New_W0QQitemZ300001755517QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10404QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21 August 2006, 13:17:50 »

...If I had the money I could have gone bigger on the valves, could have gone DCOEs could have gone wilder on the cam, I have seen a 160bhp version of the same lump!

The intake noise of three 40 or 45 Webers shod with K&N is intoxicating, but I doubt if it will pass the MOT emission test...  ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21 August 2006, 13:36:41 »

What, like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Valve-Lifter-New_W0QQitemZ300001755517QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10404QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I got mine from here, £8 each:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Tappets-Corsa-Astra-Vectra-Omega-Frontera_W0QQitemZ4610101316QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10404QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As v6man says you need to change the 'T' vents if you go from old style to new style and Autovaux have been trying to get me 4 since the beginning of July. I don't think many people realise that you have to change the vents for the new style lifters...

Martin_1962

« Reply #67 on: 21 August 2006, 15:07:17 »

Why would anyone want 1 lifter?  :-? And that 1 looks very slightly different to mine...

Martin, sounds like you've done some impressive tuning yourself! When i had my gsi Nova i bought twin 40's, round port inlet manifold for the 40's, a kent ast2 cam, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, ported and flowef 1.6 head and a couple of other bits.....It's just i never got round to fitting them all!  ;D But when i sold all the bits off again i made a decent profit so it wasn't all bad.

Started as a £100 banger when I was desperate, got offered a 1.6 Avenger lump so swapped out the imp engine, upgraded the suspension. Then I started tuning very little was original in the end - scrap yards were so usefull. I bought Weller 8 spoke wheels for it.

Martin_1962

« Reply #68 on: 21 August 2006, 15:08:00 »

...If I had the money I could have gone bigger on the valves, could have gone DCOEs could have gone wilder on the cam, I have seen a 160bhp version of the same lump!

The intake noise of three 40 or 45 Webers shod with K&N is intoxicating, but I doubt if it will pass the MOT emission test...  ;D

This was on my Sunbeam - that had 2x 1.5" Strombergs

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 21 August 2006, 16:06:49 »

Tbh guys, i'm considering just rebuilding her as she is. I'm not sure i want all this hassle with (what should be) my day-to-day car. Everything is ready and waiting sat in my garage, it's not as though she's slow as she is and a chip, remap and xe flywheel she see her shifting pretty well....

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 22 August 2006, 18:56:54 »

Well, i'm afraid i went for the rebuild! I have my reasons....Sorry if anyone was looking forward to seeing the results of the mentioned mods. Anyway, got loads done today! The heads are back on, rear connections sorted, wiring tidyed up, rear cambelt cover on, spark plugs in, PAS pump back on and oil dipstick fitted. I also got my new oil cooler and thermostat fitted. So tomorrow will consist of torquing the heads (new a torque angle guage), fitting the water pump+pulley, crank pulley and re-fitting the cams. Then it's time to get it timed up! I can't believe how much ground i've covered today, its gone so much quicker than the strip down! Pics (sorry about the poor quality);

New drivers head gasket;

Drivers head re-fitted;

Heads re-fitted with gaskets;

The biggest pain in the ar5e today was fitting the engine lift bracket, oil dipstick and steal coolant pipe, what a bastard!!

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 22 August 2006, 18:59:23 »

Well done, you'll soon be an RMB [smiley=beer.gif]
I like red cars

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 23 August 2006, 08:14:47 »

You shoud have fitted the inlet coolant pipe before you put the passenger side head on - remember how hard it was to get off!!!!!

That outlet pipe is a pain - thats why you often see Omega's without the lifting BKT fitted - I find it easier using a 10mm ratchet ring spanner on the E12 bolt there should be a spacer ring aswell - this was used as the bolt was too long for the hole.

Well, i'm afraid i went for the rebuild! I have my reasons....Sorry if anyone was looking forward to seeing the results of the mentioned mods. Anyway, got loads done today! The heads are back on, rear connections sorted, wiring tidyed up, rear cambelt cover on, spark plugs in, PAS pump back on and oil dipstick fitted. I also got my new oil cooler and thermostat fitted. So tomorrow will consist of torquing the heads (new a torque angle guage), fitting the water pump+pulley, crank pulley and re-fitting the cams. Then it's time to get it timed up! I can't believe how much ground i've covered today, its gone so much quicker than the strip down! Pics (sorry about the poor quality);

New drivers head gasket;

Drivers head re-fitted;

Heads re-fitted with gaskets;

The biggest pain in the ar5e today was fitting the engine lift bracket, oil dipstick and steal coolant pipe, what a bastard!!
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 23 August 2006, 08:43:26 »

Well done Tezray your on a roll now just hope it sounds like new when turning the key for the first time after the rebuild, fingers crossed for you mate  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 23 August 2006, 08:55:35 »

Re-builds are always more pleasent as you are generaly working with nice clean bits....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.