Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Plenum removal  (Read 3277 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Plenum removal
« Reply #15 on: 02 October 2006, 18:15:44 »

Have to call with local dealer in the morning to order/prepay the plenum O rings. I got the part number for him from the camcover guide otherwise he wouldn't have been able to find the item! Anyway, £10 something plus vat. Sound about right? Will take a couple of days to arrive though.  [smiley=sad.gif]
My meega has the short plenum by the way.
£10 for the pack of 6 sounds right
Grumpy old man

UncleFugger

• Limassol, Cyprus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 October 2006, 22:33:25 »

Hi guys, new to this site and been reading this as it's one of the jobs I got on my list. Since importing my Omega to Cyprus, it's been a bloody nighmare;

New A/C Heat Exchanger
New Radiator  & Oil Cooler

Now a hose at the back at the engine decided to burst from the back of the engine to the valve. I've got fingers like Walls Sausages, so its look like I'll be trying to take the Plenum off tomorrow too. Great advice on this site, wish I found it a while ago as some of the work carried out on cars out here is bloody awful. One mechanic out here decided to use cable ties instead of jubilee clips on the water hoses, hence the problem I face now.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 October 2006, 19:23:28 »

After oil cooler failure, some of the rubber hoses will fail unless thoroughly flushed a few times (oil softens the rubber)...   ...that same short hose failed on one of mine after oil cooler failure...
Grumpy old man

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 October 2006, 19:26:10 »

I agree with The Boy about the cost of the o rings - what a blinkin rip off though! :-X
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

UncleFugger

• Limassol, Cyprus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 October 2006, 19:34:03 »

After oil cooler failure, some of the rubber hoses will fail unless thoroughly flushed a few times (oil softens the rubber)...   ...that same short hose failed on one of mine after oil cooler failure...

You hit the nail on the head! The hose I took off today at the rear of the engine was very soft at the engine end of the hose. As a temporary fix, managed to get hold of some copper coated pipe inserts and put them both end of the pipe and reconnected with the clips. Should hold until I get a replacement pipe (Not easy here in Cyprus).

Still got deposits of oil, quite a bit, in the water. The so called mechanic who replaced the oil cooler didn't even bother fulshing the crud out! Had a load of oil in the expansion tank today which caused the temp to rise sharply. Let the stuff leak out, took the lower rad hose of and tons of the brown crap came out. Refilled system with water and seems better, stayed around 93 - 95C. Looking for a fail safe way to flush the system properly....any ideas?

Cheers, Mike.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 October 2006, 19:35:03 »

Ordered the rings (and a new pollen filter) yesterday, and should get them tomorrow. Seems quite dear for what I imagine are pretty basic O rings, but they would appear to be a necessity when removing/replacing the plenum.
It was mentioned though that if I do the camcover gaskets soon that I would not need to replace the plenum rings again. Can they be used and reused then if necesaary for a certain amount of time?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 October 2006, 19:40:57 »

You hit the nail on the head! The hose I took off today at the rear of the engine was very soft at the engine end of the hose. As a temporary fix, managed to get hold of some copper coated pipe inserts and put them both end of the pipe and reconnected with the clips. Should hold until I get a replacement pipe (Not easy here in Cyprus).

Still got deposits of oil, quite a bit, in the water. The so called mechanic who replaced the oil cooler didn't even bother fulshing the crud out! Had a load of oil in the expansion tank today which caused the temp to rise sharply. Let the stuff leak out, took the lower rad hose of and tons of the brown crap came out. Refilled system with water and seems better, stayed around 93 - 95C. Looking for a fail safe way to flush the system properly....any ideas?

Cheers, Mike.
Not easy way to drain v6 coolant completely. I would flush through as best as possible, and each time you emtpy it, remove coolant expansion bottle and clean. You will need to repeat this several (about 10!) times before it starts to clear properly...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.