Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm keeps going off!  (Read 3449 times)

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
Alarm keeps going off!
« on: 30 September 2006, 20:01:35 »

Picked up my Omega yesterday. Its a spotless 2001 CD 2.6 and I absolutely love it! Cannot fault it to look at or drive. Really pleased.

ONLY PROBLEM!!!

The alarm keeps going off for no apparent reason. I left the car in the car park of the services on the M1 on the way back from picking it up. I was in there only 5 mins and i came out to it going off for no obvious reason.

It went off again at 2:30am this morning waking up my whole street again for no apparent reason! It has also done it a couple of times this evening.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Is there a way to lock the car without setting the alarm until i get the problem sorted out?

Would REALLY appreciate any help on this one.

Cambelt changed 03/12/06.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm keeps going off!
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2006, 20:23:53 »

Check the bonnet sensor, make sure teh bracket is not bent or damaged and that it is making good contact on the bonnet.

To prove its this, unplug the connector from the base (sensor is rear right of engine bay near passenger side front turret)

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2006, 20:54:36 »

Would unplugging this sensor mean that it will just no longer sense the bonnet?

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2006, 21:05:41 »

I just checked the bonnet sensor and it was already unplugged???

I have now plugged it back in. Could it have been this causing it, or is it more likely the previous owner had unplugged it trying to eliminate the alarm problem?

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2006, 21:06:27 »

The second option, I thinks...

Could also bee the NiCd backup battery in the power sounder - but then you should also sometimes hear four beeps from the bonnet area.

« Last Edit: 30 September 2006, 21:07:11 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2006, 21:14:37 »

Could also bee the NiCd backup battery in the power sounder - but then you should also sometimes hear four beeps from the bonnet area.
Nope, that wouldn't cause the alarm to sound, you would just get the 4 chirps when switching off the ignition.
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2006, 21:26:03 »

My power sounder keeps going off for 30s whilst driving. Tech2 says 'Intermittent Horn circuit open circuit' - so I'm guessing I have a bad connection to the horn...
Grumpy old man

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2006, 21:56:07 »

Does anyone know if the alarm has its own fuse?

If this keeps up i'm going to have to do something to stop it from going off in the middle of the night.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2006, 22:06:18 »

Disconnect power sounder and alarm horn, both underneath scuttle.  You will need to disconnect battery within 15s of switching off ignition before you do this (and make sure you have radio and cd codes...)
Grumpy old man

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2006, 22:27:57 »

Yeah disconneced mine  ;D, tried all the bonnet sensor stuff nothing worked  >:(and I'm tight so I didn't want to spend any money :o ! So out came the scuttle and I removed the battery pack , still not got round to replacing it yet but problem solved [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] and neibours relived ::) ::)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2006, 00:25:15 »

Nope, that wouldn't cause the alarm to sound, you would just get the 4 chirps when switching off the ignition.

Err... sorry Kev, but yes it would. It did on mine - I had the four beeps and the occasional unexplained alarm going off. Vx said it was the backup battery, and the power sounder was replaced by Vx under warranty which solved the problem.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2006, 00:28:00 »

Err... sorry Kev, but yes it would. It did on mine - I had the four beeps and the occasional unexplained alarm going off. Vx said it was the backup battery, and the power sounder was replaced by Vx under warranty which solved the problem.

I've had the four chirps since the day and hour i got the car and i've never had the alarm sounding. Strange. Perhaps there was a genuine fault with your sounder, as well as the batteries.  ::)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2006, 00:37:43 »

I've had the four chirps since the day and hour i got the car and i've never had the alarm sounding. Strange. Perhaps there was a genuine fault with your sounder, as well as the batteries.  ::)

Quite possibly, Vx being Vx never actually volunteer any information regarding warranty repairs (and they certainly do not give you anything in writing), all the information I have is after giving the Spanish Inquisition treatment to the service receptionists – who went out through the back door (presumably to the garage floor) and came back with answers – probably made up on the spot by someone who have never actually seen my car in the first place.

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2006, 09:58:24 »

I think the power sounder going off for 30s is likely to be poor connection. This could possibly stop sounder from charging properly, hence 4 chirps as well. I believe knackered nicads just give the 4 chirps.

If power sounder keeps going off, clean the contacts of the power sounder connector and the horn connector next to it (either of these have poor connections to extent alarm thinks they've been disconnected, the power sounder will go off).
Grumpy old man

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2006, 18:08:02 »

Sorry for sounding thick but what is the scuttle and wher do i find it? I've got to try and do this tonight cos my neighbours are going mad!

what tools do i need for this?

sorry for being dumb but i'm not very technical.

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2006, 18:12:30 »

Sorry for sounding thick but what is the scuttle and wher do i find it? I've got to try and do this tonight cos my neighbours are going mad!

what tools do i need for this?

sorry for being dumb but i'm not very technical.
The scuttle is the plastic grill just below the windscreen, where the wipers are mounted.

There is a How2 covering scuttle removal, you can find it by clicking here.  ;)
« Last Edit: 01 October 2006, 18:14:14 by Kev »

Doughboy

• Edinburgh
  • ?% Tax on Fuel, Fags and beer(I luv em all) bstds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2006, 19:51:20 »

I had this with a new Astra estate, Vx replaced the sounder and all was ok. All I did to stop the alarm going off was lock the car from inside, opened rear door and pushed the driver door lock down.

Neighbours sorted untill new sounder was fitted.
[size=20]I want that one!!![/i][/size]

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2006, 20:04:58 »

Doughboy,

[size=16]YOU ARE A GENIUS!![/size]

That has saved me and my neighbours from more nights of interruption!

Many thanks!

(Thanks Kev also for the Scuttle removal link! Will get round to that next weekend!)

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2006, 12:28:06 »

Picked up my Omega yesterday. Its a spotless 2001 CD 2.6 and I absolutely love it! Cannot fault it to look at or drive. Really pleased.

ONLY PROBLEM!!!

The alarm keeps going off for no apparent reason. I left the car in the car park of the services on the M1 on the way back from picking it up. I was in there only 5 mins and i came out to it going off for no obvious reason.

It went off again at 2:30am this morning waking up my whole street again for no apparent reason! It has also done it a couple of times this evening.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Is there a way to lock the car without setting the alarm until i get the problem sorted out?

Would REALLY appreciate any help on this one.

Hi, I had the exact same problem with my 2001 -The good members ressloved my problem read here - http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152786754

Dave.
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

JONNYWAKEY

• Bilsthorpe Nottinghamshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 October 2006, 19:10:49 »

hi

I had the exact same fault on my 2.2CD 2001 Omega.

I had the four chirps when taking the key out of the ignition.

It is the batteries in the power sounder, they only last for upto five years so the timing is about right.

I managed to get two new batteries from cellpack soloutions, they hard to get hold of though as they come from germany.

Easiest option is to leave the power sounder and horn out of the car - problem solved!

to replace the batteries in the Black power sounder box, cut using a dremmel around the visible seam of the plastic.

remove the two batteries and clean the terminals.

Replace batteries if you manage to get hold of some.

Good luck!

Martin_1962

« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2006, 16:29:30 »

Power sounder batteries - that's what mine had
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.