Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: omega auto estate 2.0 16v  (Read 2148 times)

t230

• View Profile
omega auto estate 2.0 16v
« on: 04 October 2006, 16:04:42 »

Hi guys im new to this forum...so please be gentle.  Iv done an extensive search but cannot find a clear answer.  HOW DO I REMOVE THE STEERING WHEEL FROM AN OMEGA.  Im trying to sort my dads car for hime but i cannot get the steering wheel off.  Ive read one of the posts but  it doesent say HOW to actually remove the steering wheel.  

Ive stripped all surrounding areas but am left witht his steering as if it were glued on.  Basically everything is off except for the stalk that adjusts the height.  Holding nut is off aswell but it seems glued on.  Any reply would be appreciated. I have searched quite a bit on this and other forums (and after looking at the rest this is the best forum by far) and found nothing.  The thread that i came across on this site was slightly confusing as part of it read " 8 . use the puller to remove steering wheel" whats a puller??

Thanks guys , i know i may sound a bit thick on the omega but your help once again would be greatly appreciated. ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: omega auto estate 2.0 16v
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2006, 16:12:37 »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I got my steering wheel of by banging it from the rear on opposite sides but its not the best solution and a puller is a better idea. I think the puller fits in the two small holes in the steering wheel and has a threaded nut that pushes against steering column, pulling the wheel upwards.
Retired

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2006, 16:29:44 »

The ideal is to use a puller.

The alternative is to:

Disconnect the battery (because you need the airbag off and dont want a fault stored).

Slacken the nut off so it is protecting the threads and to ensure that the steering wheel doesn't fly off.

Brace your knees behind the steering wheel pushing as hard as you can towards yourself.

Hit the centre of the column with a hammer and suitable drift.

The risk is you damage the crumple mechanism on the steering column......but it works 99% of the time.

t230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2006, 21:54:46 »

cheers guys , I got it off in the end.  Now its down to vauxhalls to get a new airbag contact.  The indicators were not clicking back in to place and some how the tabs that do this have all broken off.  They have qutoed me 45 plus vat...is this correct.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2006, 08:38:08 »

Quite possibly but, search ebay for omega squib.....and compare the part numbers.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile

t230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2006, 17:34:38 »

im normally the bargain king on ebay but i ve got to say DOH! for this one...i dont know how i missed it!  anyway airbag light is on the dash constantly how do i remove????

BTW check this out ( for all you ebay bargin huggers)  www.goofbay.com

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2006, 18:11:19 »

im normally the bargain king on ebay but i ve got to say DOH! for this one...i dont know how i missed it!  anyway airbag light is on the dash constantly how do i remove????
Find someone with a Tech2 (cheapo lead one can clear the fault, though not diagnose what caused it) ;)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2006, 14:07:18 »

Find someone with a Tech2 (cheapo lead one can clear the fault, though not diagnose what caused it) ;)

It can diagnose it......truned the airbag light off on mine and read the fault codes and it told me I had a high impedance passenger side airbag.....which I had because it wasn't in....(I was playing with the cheapo tech2!)

t230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2006, 14:13:46 »

so how about the el cheapos you can get from halfords ( am i allowed to use that word on here?) they have fault code readers for 9.99 can they clear codes??

Or if i purchase the ones you guys mentioned (tech2) willit definately clear the codes.  I might just 'bung'my mechanic a fiver lol

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2006, 14:16:03 »

so how about the el cheapos you can get from halfords ( am i allowed to use that word on here?) they have fault code readers for 9.99 can they clear codes??

Or if i purchase the ones you guys mentioned (tech2) willit definately clear the codes.  I might just 'bung'my mechanic a fiver lol

I Think the ones from halfords can read codes but I doubt they would be able to clear them, as for the tech2 your alright to buy one if your loaded.

Cheapest option if you can do it is bung your mechanic a fiver if he will take beer money to do it. :)

t230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2006, 14:19:34 »

ive seen a few tech 2 's on ebay . Are these the real deal??  

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=tech2

surely for 30 quid it not too bad as i do most work my self and i could be a regional techtooie aswell(lol)  I have a spare laptop aswell and the software is actually shareware (as stated in some of the ebay ads) 8-)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2006, 14:25:05 »

surely for 30 quid it not too bad as i do most work my self and i could be a regional techtooie aswell(lol)  I have a spare laptop aswell and the software is actually shareware (as stated in some of the ebay ads) 8-)

A few people on here have tried them in fact I think TheBoy compared his real tech2 to the cheapo tech2 as its been called on here.

Might be worth Pm him as he knows more about them or even do a search on here I'm sure there has been a few threads started on the subject on here. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 October 2006, 18:04:09 »

It can diagnose it......truned the airbag light off on mine and read the fault codes and it told me I had a high impedance passenger side airbag.....which I had because it wasn't in....(I was playing with the cheapo tech2!)
Thats surprising - when I had Markjays to test, I unplugged drivers side bag, but cheapo wouldn't read code (proper tech2 would), so I plugged it back in, and cheapo cleared the codes (confirmed with real tech2)...   ...I tested on my 1998 MV6.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 October 2006, 18:06:17 »

The £30 ones from ebay are what we call here the cheapo tech2 lead. Software is awful, and mostly hungarian (even with English selected!). It is troublesome with laptops that don't have proper serial ports (the USB to serial adpaters appear to be troublesome, though it worked with mine, but made my P4 laptop struggle).

However, the real Tech2, as used by Vauxhall, is around £3,500 to buy....
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2006, 18:07:37 »

Working on filling in the blanks at the mo....nearly got the gearbox codes working.....(a few more to add to the file!)

Cruise is done but that is just one code (I used this to play with the system !)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2006, 18:09:50 »

Working on filling in the blanks at the mo....nearly got the gearbox codes working.....(a few more to add to the file!)

Cruise is done but that is just one code (I used this to play with the system !)
Good news Mark, keep it up :)

SHame we don't have source code, I reckon we could make it much more stable...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.