Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need new clutch fitted in Scotland! Any offers?  (Read 1206 times)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Need new clutch fitted in Scotland! Any offers?
« on: 05 October 2006, 16:29:22 »

The bad news is I think my clutch is on its last legs... no surprise really considering the mileage and I don't drive it like miss daisy ;)

So I'm looking for someone to replace it for me, I'll be picking up a genuine VX kit soon (new pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing). I did VERY briefly consider giving it a go myself, but I have neither the tools nor the experience (not to mention the balls!) to tackle this kind of job. None of my previous cars have needed a new clutch, at least not while I owned them.

Basically I'm after someone who can do the job properly (meaning ideally someone who knows the weird features of this car, like the reverse clutch hydraulics bleeding thing) and will do so for a good price. I'm quite happy to muck in on the job, but let there be no doubt I've never done this before so will need full instruction all the way ;)

Drop me a PM if any of you wannabe (or real) mechanics think you're up to the task, and how many beer tokens you think it'll consume :)

Cheers.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Need new clutch fitted in Scotland! Any offers
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2006, 14:08:41 »

Check your local factors for a clutch kit and go for one of the names (much cheaper) like Borg and Beck or sachs (OEM suppliers so the same as the vaux ones anyway!)

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2006, 14:49:07 »

Check your local factors for a clutch kit and go for one of the names (much cheaper) like Borg and Beck or sachs (OEM suppliers so the same as the vaux ones anyway!)

What is your opinion about Luk kits? I have heard some people like them some don't, Valeo are pretty good clutches as well.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2006, 15:32:47 »

never ever had to fit one  :o if i had i would have been happy to assist
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2006, 21:16:48 »

The cost I was quoted of supply and replacing the clutch at a main dealer in Sevenoaks Kent  was about £400 for a 3 litre Elite Manual. Mr Clutch was about £380.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2006, 02:53:25 »

I can get the kit reasonably cheap for a genuine VX.

That price of £400 seems really steep, I'd expect a good garage with all the right tools to complete this job in a few hours, so even at the VX rate of £75/hour labour that's over 4 hours worth. Is it really that big a job on these? Most reports I've read are that it's reasonably easy, certainly far more so than your typical FWD job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.