Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooling - 2.5V6 CDX  (Read 2100 times)

UncleFugger

• Limassol, Cyprus.
    • View Profile
Cooling - 2.5V6 CDX
« on: 04 October 2006, 18:59:30 »

Hi Guys, new around here, great site.

I've had no end of problems with the cooling system on my meega, new rad, new oil cooler in the space of 7 months. Recently the pipe at the back of the engine split that feeds the heating system valve, Fixed that today. Now I'm preseuming since my oil cooler has been changed that the slimey deposits still in the expansion tank is whereby the guy who changed the oil cooler hasn't flushed the system out.

I'm based in Cyprus and just don't trust mechanics, especially after having a new heat exchanger fitted last year to find out it was a faulty compressor relay! >:( So far parted with nearly £1100 quid this year on a '96 Model Omega! :'( Yes, Ludicrous but second hand cars here are a fortune and the problems mostly with my car are only stupid things.

Two questions, can anyone recommend the correct way of flushing the water system thoroughly and anyone know where the aircon relay is situated. I'd prefer to have ago at fixing these myself and know it's been done properly. After all if I mess it up, I can only blame myself.  ::)

Cheers Guys, Great Site

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
Re: Cooling - 2.5V6 CDX
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2006, 19:31:44 »

Seem to recall that Ronnie McB had to flush one out recently (might find it under general chat - Ronnie project #14 or something like that) ,anyway seem to recall that he used a water soluble degreaser like Jizzer or gunk, diluted and runup to temperature and then flushed a few times to clean it out.

Semm to recall using that seem to recall phrase before?  Is senile dementia setting in?
Is that why i drive an Omega?
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

UncleFugger

• Limassol, Cyprus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2006, 13:14:02 »

Seem to recall that Ronnie McB had to flush one out recently (might find it under general chat - Ronnie project #14 or something like that) ,anyway seem to recall that he used a water soluble degreaser like Jizzer or gunk, diluted and runup to temperature and then flushed a few times to clean it out.

Semm to recall using that seem to recall phrase before?  Is senile dementia setting in?
Is that why i drive an Omega?

Don't worry Captain, I suffer from the same condition :-/ Ok, flushed the system through today until water totally clear. I've taken off the expansion tank and it's currently soaking in wash powder detergent, lots of it, and it works great, the oil (Sludge) is coming away. I'm going to refit expansion tank and reflush, give it a 30km run and see if the sludge returns. I've got a sneaky feeling, the guy here who fitted the oil cooler 7 months ago got an 'el cheapo' or non-standard oil cooler and it's failed again - worse case. No water in my oil so sounds like the head gasket is ok. BTW how much an oil cooler vx for in the UK?

Quick question, is there such a thing as a snide or cheap replacement oil cooler that is prone to failing as quick as 7 months, if not and this a genuine part, what else could cause this? take in to account a brand new rad system installed to around the same time as the oil cooler with brand new heat exchanger on ecc. Oil always continously checked and no major leaks.

Thanks,

Mike
« Last Edit: 05 October 2006, 13:15:57 by UncleFugger »

UncleFugger

• Limassol, Cyprus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2006, 15:05:34 »

***UPDATE***

Ok, flush the system about 10 times. Water much clearer although still a little mush in there, not much. Noticed that the pipe I repaired it still leaking at the back, think it may be the HBV thingy? That'll be interesting trying to get one of those here in Cyprus, the Opel garage said there are only 5 registered V6 Omegas on the island.

I'm not writing off the oil cooler at this stage, i'll let it cool down and check again, but again could be still residue from where not flushed thoroughly in the first place. Ever elt like you are going round in circles?

Ok A/C....Gas Full, compressor on, the fly wheel is turning too, but no cold air. Any ideas or clues? Engines / Mechanics not my thing but if it's straight forward enough will look myself. Does anyone know which relay controls the A/C? this went beofre but someone cleaned it up and it kicked in? Is it a relay nect to the ECU? any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

UncleFugger

• Limassol, Cyprus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2006, 15:15:11 »

Sorry, I know I'm probably boring your socks off with this preface lift omega, but I'm no mechanic.

Mechanic come again today, the pipe from engine to HBV burst again, says oil has softened the rubber. To the touch is was very soft. Hopefully get a new pipe tomorrow. I've ordered a full set of water pipes as it's cert that the others will fail too.

The mechanic says the head gasket may of gone, but I said that there was no oil in the water, he is under the impression this doesn't matter, depends on how mbadlt the gasket is damaged, is this true?

No return of sludge in the head tank so hopefully it is not a problem with the oil cooler again, just this pipe from the HBV to the engine.

I'd be interested in your comments with regards to the head gasket?  :-/

Thanks,

Mike
« Last Edit: 06 October 2006, 15:16:13 by UncleFugger »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2006, 15:28:17 »

i really really could not see it being HG - they hardly every fail on omegas.

So its almost always oil cooler. So questions are was it oem oil cooler?

Secondly if there was leaks of sludge and oil and it wasnt flushed properly it may have over time softented the pipes/rubber. So what you could still be seeing as a backlash from a poor initial job.

Any issues after this post them on here and we will do our best :-)

and if there is any issues - bin the mechanics and diy it  ;)

just re read and you suspect cheap ouil cooler - if replacing get vx parts....what weight an oil cooler anyone  :-/
« Last Edit: 06 October 2006, 15:29:32 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

UncleFugger

• Limassol, Cyprus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2006, 15:38:55 »

Thanks Markiec, yes, been a lot of shoddy work done to this car. New oil cooler 7 months ago but don't know if genuine or oem. Trouble here is most mechanics say 'no problem' to everything when in fact take the opposite. The last mechanic who fitted the oil cooler said he had to take the engine out to do it, load of rubbish.

I'm convinced it's this pipe that is causing my current problem and the fact the system was not flushed after the oil cooler change, this has caused other problems.

I thoroughly flush the system yesterday, seems not too bad today, very small traces. Oil is fine, no trace of sludge / water in that. As a precaution, I'm going to flush it out a few more times, change all the water pipes and hope for the best.

Just a couple of questions:

• If the head gasket went, would the engine temp rocket up in the red pretty quickly even whilst idling? mine doesn't.
  • Would you definately find traces of water / sludge in the oil? mine is clear.

Thanks,

Mike

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2006, 15:59:56 »

number of reasons for temp rocketing, on any car, lack of coolant, water, thermo problems - if its left unattended long term and run consistantly like that it can cause hgf, but very very rare on a vx v6. On the k series rovers however you simply need the sun to shine on it to warp the heads  ;D

Sludge/mayo in header would point to oil cooler. Head gasket failure is more likely if you have water in the oil on the dipstick. You dont have this so it suggests hgf is unlikely

Remember the sludge is really really ahrd to flush 100% so you may still have it after the job and if you ever have the same sludge oin the neck of the filler cap its "normal" for an omega, just means it needs a 40-50mile run to clear it.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: 06 October 2006, 16:03:15 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2006, 17:08:26 »

I would agree with Markiec , [smiley=thumbsup.gif] sounds like oil cooler has gone at some point in the past , 7 months seems very short time for it to go again , probably just needs a REALY good flush out with degreaser  [smiley=bath.gif]this can take a long time to do it thoroughly , which is probably why it wasn't done properly by the first guy .  [smiley=evil.gif]If head gasket had gone it would be overheating and I think over-pressurising the cooling system

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2006, 18:15:02 »

Doubt HG has failed, just still aftermath of oil cooler failure.

Make sure coolant is flush through several times, then again weekly for a while...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2006, 23:45:22 »

Yep , totally agree with TB, flush,flush ,flush, changed my cooler a few months back and still getting the odd bit in header tank, weekly flushes is probably the best idea ;)

UncleFugger

• Limassol, Cyprus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2006, 10:15:49 »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Mechanic came again this morning, flushed the system out thoroughly with degreaser, got the engine up to running temp and drained thoroughly repeating the procedure 5 times. Stuck on new pipes, filled up and hey presto! the car is running back to normal, no more trace of oil in water, just the odd tiny bit. He recommended flushing it every week until all traces are completely gone.

I took it for a long run and everything seems normal now. So far looks like I've escaped the dreaded Head Gasket problem (Fingers Crossed). Just going to keep an eye on header tank for oil traces, the mechanic has stated that if the oil cooler was changed here in cyprus, it will most certainly be an el cheapo copy or oem version, not the vx part :-[

Thanks for all your assistance guys, it's great listening to everybody's experiences on here. This site is a gold mine of meega info! especially for us novice mechanics.

Right, now just got to get my head round AC problem, Cam Belt Change (Well over), Light bulbs in centre console, change front stabilisers (Knocking), Rust bubbles on the two front doors by rubber seals and some other minor bits of body work and I'll be laughing   :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2006, 11:46:34 »

Glad the cooling is sorted, esp in hot country...

Don't attempt cambelt without a locking kit, not sure if you can acquire that sort of thing over there...

Grumpy old man

UncleFugger

• Limassol, Cyprus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2006, 11:58:54 »

Thanks, the Mechanic told me there is a Vauxhall Spares shop here in Limassol (Omly one on the island) supplying genuine parts, so hopefull might get the kit there. Cetainly going to go there with a bit of a list at this rate. Also trying to find the plastic trim that goes under the drivers side headlight. Parked front end over a high curb some months back and ripped off the whole front end bumber - Ouch! :-[ Luckily, that piece of trim was the only major damage apart from a fog light wire got ripped off but now fixed.

This car has taken some punishment since it got shipped to Cyprus. When it arrived last year off the ship, the shipping idiots fork lifted the car!!!! Broke the whole exhaust system! An unmarked police car decided to ram me off the road smashing into the back offside door in February mistaking the car for a renowned drugs smuggler's car. How can you mistake an Omega for a Granada!? I took that as an insult  :) Servere sun fade damage on the bonnet, now got car port so ok. I'll take a pic of her today and compare it to one year ago and post it here, you'll cringe. :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 October 2006, 12:17:39 »

Not sure a dealer will sell you cam lock kit, but worth a try...

In UK, you can buy for around £50 from ebay, but obviously postage there would be high. You could try if local auto tool shop could get one? (Same kit used on many GM V6 engines, though diesels seem more popular in Cyprus from what I've seen)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.