Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry, but the scuttle guide is useless.  (Read 9865 times)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
Sorry, but the scuttle guide is useless.
« on: 20 November 2006, 18:11:25 »

I spent 45 mins trying to get it off today.  Got the wipers off, but that's it.  Could not get the screw out of the o/s strut tower.  Is it T25 or T28?  Stripped out my T20 after backing it out 2 turns and getting stuck on the rust.  I want to go buy the right bit, so please tell me what to get.

Main thing though, what is the deal with the plastic screws at the base of the windscreen?  I could not get them to release.  If I had had the right crank sensor from VX I would have snipped them off with the dykes.  I'd prefer not to, so any suggestions?

Anything else I need to know once I get past those 2 issues?  Otherwise the scuttle is getting torn out in shreds so that I can get the car back here.  Then I'll have to get one from a breaker.

Thanks in advance!
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry, but the scuttle guide is useless.
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2006, 18:44:19 »

Not a good day then!  :-?
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2006, 18:46:15 »

We could all compare your version of how it should be written then with NIXORO's & we'll take a vote on it!  ::)
I've just read NIXORO's version and compared to my experience of removing the scuttle (pre forum) I can't fault it.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2006, 18:56:00 »

We could all compare your version of how it should be written then with NIXORO's & we'll take a vote on it!  ::)
I've just read NIXORO's version and compared to my experience of removing the scuttle (pre forum) I can't fault it.
It is fine, in that it covers what is obvious after you open the hood.  It does go a bit further in mentioning the screws at the base of the windscreen, but not what to do with them.  It also doesn't say what tools you need.

Long story short, I'm not mechanically inept, but with those instructions I could not remove the scuttle while being confident that I would not break it or the windscreen.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2006, 19:07:11 »

It is fine, in that it covers what is obvious after you open the hood.   .......
Perhaps it's your US spec car then!  :-? Your car have a trunk too??
My car has a bonnet.  ;)
Too many USA sit-coms/films. My 18yr old son's friend was talking about bloody flashlights  :o when the power went off locally last week-end and my 11 yr old niece (another USA sit-com/kids TV addict) talks about bloody diapers! >:(

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2006, 19:09:18 »

It is fine, in that it covers what is obvious after you open the hood.   .......
My car has a bonnet.  ;)
Too many USA sit-coms/films. My 18yr old son's friend was talking about bloody flashlights  :o when the power went off locally last week-end and my 11 yr old niece (another USA sit-com/kids TV addict) talks about bloody diapers! >:(
Yep it does!  :D

Actually, I started to write bonnet, but wasn't sure if it had 1 or 2 t's  :-/ ;D

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2006, 19:11:55 »

My car has a bonnet.  ;)

Hey Andy your car has a boot mate :y Bonnet covers the engine , which they call a hood ;)

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2006, 19:17:18 »

I spent 45 mins trying to get it off today.  Got the wipers off, but that's it.  Could not get the screw out of the o/s strut tower.  Is it T25 or T28?  Stripped out my T20 after backing it out 2 turns and getting stuck on the rust.  I want to go buy the right bit, so please tell me what to get.

Main thing though, what is the deal with the plastic screws at the base of the windscreen?  I could not get them to release.  If I had had the right crank sensor from VX I would have snipped them off with the dykes.  I'd prefer not to, so any suggestions?

Anything else I need to know once I get past those 2 issues?  Otherwise the scuttle is getting torn out in shreds so that I can get the car back here.  Then I'll have to get one from a breaker.

Thanks in advance!

Don't know about the strut tower , but the plastic screws just need to be turned through 45 degrees (its more of a clip than a screw) then if you have already removed the sealing strip the scuttle cover lifts up from the leading edge . :y

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2006, 19:20:26 »

Thanks in advance!

Don't know about the strut tower , but the plastic screws just need to be turned through 45 degrees (its more of a clip than a screw) then if you have already removed the sealing strip the scuttle cover lifts up from the leading edge . :y
Are you saying that when they are all turned 45 degrees, the scuttle detaches by pulling it horizontally towards the front of the car?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2006, 19:20:39 »

..... which they call a hood ;)
THEY being the opperative word! WE call it a bonnet. ;)
Creeping Americanism gets up my nose ... incase you hadn't already noticed.  ::)
disk, tire, color etc etc are all US but you see them used all the time when people mean disc, tyre & colour.
The original English word for jail cropped up at work in a magazine and nobody had even heard of the word GAOL  :-? ( & no I hadn't mis-spelt goal!  ;D )

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2006, 19:21:58 »

Are you saying that when they are all turned 45 degrees, the scuttle detaches by pulling it horizontally towards the front of the car?
Yes.  :)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2006, 19:23:11 »

Ah, now we're getting somewhere!  Cheers!  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2006, 19:25:53 »

The screw on the off-side strut on mine is a 'push fit' (some heavy handed previous owner) so I can't really help on the proper Torx size.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2006, 19:26:12 »

Slight mistake in above info - the plastic clips need to be turned through 90 degrees (so slot is parallel to bas of windscreen), then lift then out. Once all 8 are out (and that torx screw removed, and rubber strip that runs along from of scuttle is removed (sometimes bonnet cable attached to this), the scuttle should wiggle out...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2006, 19:28:09 »

Ah, now we're getting somewhere!  Cheers!  :y

Thats not strictly true because the right hand end of the long piece of scuttle ( where it joins the short piece ) has to be lifted up over the housing area for the pollen filter. You can't just pull it staight out towards you. Just remember this when you are doing it ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.