Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for MCE....and questions...  (Read 2198 times)

Taxi_Driver

Recommendations for MCE....and questions...
« on: 07 October 2007, 19:22:53 »

Gonna be using a Celeron 2.8Ghz.....with 512M RAM.....with 160Gb HD

Im gonna leave the HD in it for now.....as i also have a vid recorder with a 160GB HD as well and it must be poss to connect this up in the setup.

Im gonna get one or two digtital tv pci cards (one if you can get dual tuners cards)

Ive been having a look on MS site and it basically says tuner cards designed for MCE will be the way to go.....

So bearing in mind what i already have.....and it would be nice not to have a pc monitor next to the TV.....so a graphics for the pc with s video so i can view the pc on the tv.

What would you use and whats the best way to connect it all up.....including the vid recorder.

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for MCE....and questions...
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2007, 19:28:40 »

Im gonna leave the HD in it for now.....as i also have a vid recorder with a 160GB HD as well and it must be poss to connect this up in the setup.

Im gonna get one or two digtital tv pci cards (one if you can get dual tuners cards)

Ive been having a look on MS site and it basically says tuner cards designed for MCE will be the way to go.....

So bearing in mind what i already have.....and it would be nice not to have a pc monitor next to the TV.....so a graphics for the pc with s video so i can view the pc on the tv.

What would you use and whats the best way to connect it all up.....including the vid recorder.
God that all sounds pretty technical i wish i could Understand you :-/

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2007, 19:44:14 »

Hi,

Complicated environment.. :o

Cameras can be connected directly to the PC with a TV card (PCI) mosty with 4 connection (inlet) slots..
I think one PCI TV card will solve your problem..(dont understand why you need 2)

PC s with many PCI cards will suffer for performance and from time to time you will see crashes..

Another problem is video recording sofware use important amount of system resources
(in my home I use the recording PC for storage purposes only and small applications but I reach that PC from others with network)

One PC equipped with cameras and other equipment soon will suffer for space so you will need bigger disks. (if you dont clean them frequently)

Using one TV for all those equipment is possible but for initial configuration (at least) you need PC monitor (or new TVs which have similiar functions-not necessary S band)

« Last Edit: 07 October 2007, 19:44:52 by cem_devecioglu »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2007, 19:51:01 »

Hi,

Cameras can be connected directly to the PC with a TV card (PCI) mosty with 4 connection (inlet) slots..
I think one PCI TV card will solve your problem..(dont understand why you need 2)

PC s with many PCI cards will suffer for performance and from time to time you will see crashes..

Another problem is video recording sofware use important amount of system resources
(in my home I use the recording PC for storage purposes only and small applications but I reach that PC from others with network)

One PC equipped with cameras and other equipment soon will suffer for space so you will need bigger disks. (if you dont clean them frequently)

Using one TV for all those equipment is possible but for initial configuration (at least) you need PC monitor (or new TVs which have similiar functions-not necessary S band)

Sorry slight confusion here......vid recorder is not a camera.....its a just a recorder with 160G HD and a dvd burner in it.

I want two digital tuners (or one dual card) so that i can either record two diff progs at the same time or watch one whilst recording another  :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2007, 20:01:56 »

Hi,

Sorry slight confusion here......vid recorder is not a camera.....its a just a recorder with 160G HD and a dvd burner in it.

I want two digital tuners (or one dual card) so that i can either record two diff progs at the same time or watch one whilst recording another  :y

This changes the picture ..

Whatever option you choose go for lesser PCI slots..

And I think dual cards will be better hardware solution ..

But also there are digital tuners (seperate equipment) that can do these functions very detailed and more expensive way  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2007, 20:16:07 »

Few things TD...  ...as you know I am an MCE fan.

Stick to XP MCE for now, Vista home premium needs massive resources to run the MCE part.

What TV have you got? Do not use S-Video - this will (within the card's hardware layer) resize to 640x480, whatever your resolution is. Use VGA or DVI if possible, If you can't, let me know, there is another solution, but its not pretty, and a PITA.

If you are planning on using S3 standby, build the OS with S3 enabled in BIOS - not starightforward to rejig after (HAL change).

If you are using S3, ensure your mobo can wake from USB (ie the remote).

If you are using S3, avoid USB based TV cards (that includes many PCI ones, such as Hauppauge Nova T 500 Dual tuner which is 2 usb tuners connected to a USB hub all on a single PCI card). Windows/S3/USB is always touchy.

Do not install loads of software, particularly codec packs, as MCE doesn't like it.  The only codec you need is ffdshow.
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2007, 21:18:31 »

Few things TD...  ...as you know I am an MCE fan.

Stick to XP MCE for now, Vista home premium needs massive resources to run the MCE part.

What TV have you got? Do not use S-Video - this will (within the card's hardware layer) resize to 640x480, whatever your resolution is. Use VGA or DVI if possible, If you can't, let me know, there is another solution, but its not pretty, and a PITA.

If you are planning on using S3 standby, build the OS with S3 enabled in BIOS - not starightforward to rejig after (HAL change).

If you are using S3, ensure your mobo can wake from USB (ie the remote).

If you are using S3, avoid USB based TV cards (that includes many PCI ones, such as Hauppauge Nova T 500 Dual tuner which is 2 usb tuners connected to a USB hub all on a single PCI card). Windows/S3/USB is always touchy.

Do not install loads of software, particularly codec packs, as MCE doesn't like it.  The only codec you need is ffdshow.

Yep, will be using XP MCE  :y

As for TV.....it'll only upset you if i mention the make  ;D

But i think it only has scart and s video inputs.....theres red/yellow/white connectors under the flap on the front.....i think thats video and sound in.....can they be used??  :-/

S3...Hmmm.....hadnt thought of that....good job i asked then  ;D

Just been throught all the bios settings on the mobo......S3 isnt mentioned as far as i can see  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2007, 21:50:01 »

S3, may also be called STR.

Forget the s-video (yellow) input.  Do you have a spare SCART that supports RGB and an ATI VGA card?
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2007, 22:03:26 »

Recomendations for MCE? Don't you mean MICE? Anyway, I thought you'd got rid ;)
I like red cars

omegalord

« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2007, 22:11:28 »

hauppage tv cards are really good. I think their new one is a dual freeview digital .

Matt

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2007, 22:12:14 »

What inputs do you have on the TV Dave? I'm running mine on a DVI to HDMI cable into the HDMI port on the TV. Just need to use the DVI monitor port on your video card then.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2007, 22:14:20 »

hauppage tv cards are really good. I think their new one is a dual freeview digital .

Matt
Except its bloody useless for MCE. Its USB based, and Windows, S3 standby, and USB is a poor combination.
Grumpy old man

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2007, 22:16:04 »

Stay away from pinnacle tuners, I've had a load of probs with mine.
Have to go through the retuning every time I reboot the bloody thing.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2007, 22:19:59 »

I have a K World PCI Freeview card..No problems with it.. :y
Is the world ready for me..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 October 2007, 22:34:42 »

I have a Nova-T (single) tuner card and it works very well as a DVB tuner.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.