Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JVC in the meega  (Read 2773 times)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
JVC in the meega
« on: 13 December 2006, 19:56:38 »

Fitted a JVC MP3 head unit in the Omega, to replace the ancient Aiwa player. The latter had to have the wires changed round to work properly with the Vx loom, but did not run the steering wheel controls or the display unit. I didn't mind this tho and didn't really miss it. The JVC plugged straight in and is working grand, but when its powered on the middle line of the dash display disappears ( where the date was and where the original Vx radio display would be ) and it does not retain the memory settings, so that each time you turn it on you have to program it again. Nothing major I know, but a little annoying nonetheless.
Would a harness adaptor, like the one for utilising the steering wheel controls, cure the memory problem as well as providing the remote control capability?
Any help much appreciated

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
Re: JVC in the meega
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2006, 20:45:43 »

sounds like the permanent and switched lives were swapped round for the Aiwa unit - swap them back and that should cure the JVC's amnesia!

It may also cure the display problem ...

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2006, 21:59:36 »

IIRC vaux don't stick strictly to the pin wiring convention and swap ignition and permanent lives to the din connector so what the hu thinks is permanent live is ignition live and vice versa. My sony hu has two connections in its loom that can be swapped to counter this or my stalk/display adapter does it automatically.
I think the display line is blanked when the display detects a feed on the electric aerial line. It was suggested cutting this line to stop blanking.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2006, 23:06:33 »

Switch the RED & YELLOW connectors on the headunit wiring (DO NOT switch round on the car wiring, this would be a very bad idea!).

The headunit wiring should be very easy as these wires are on bullet connectors that simply pull apart.

This will sort the memry problem. As for the display, that is a question of one of the other wires, and I can't remember which one it is!  :-[
The Administrator.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2006, 00:01:22 »

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately the hu has no wiring as such, with the Vx loom plugging straight into the back of the unit. I guess I'll definately need some sort of cable to at least 'fix' the wiring.

Coincidentally, the dash display remains on with the hu, even whilst the ignition is off, until the key is actually removed. This did not happen with the old unit, neither did the middle display line go blank, and maybe linked to what the Capt said.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2006, 13:23:30 »

Time for purchase of the Autoleads adaptor then. Will sort the memory issue, not sure about the display...
The Administrator.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2006, 18:06:50 »

My radio will stay on until the key is removed even if ignition is switched off, but wont come on till ign switched on afterwards if that makes sense.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2006, 18:59:27 »

this is the kind of thing you need  :)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2006, 20:39:48 »

this is the kind of thing you need  :)

Cheers for that s2k. Before I go for that I called into Halfords to see what they have with regard to the harness adaptors. Oddly enough they had the Autoleads adaptor for the Meega, at £29.99 and I would also require a patch lead I think it was called, for the JVC, at £4.99. At £35 I would hope this would rectify the memory issue and also give me steering wheel controls. Have to decide though whether or not it is worth the extra money, compared to the above lead...... [smiley=undecided.gif]

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2006, 16:45:20 »

I also had the problem with the MID showing a blank line when I fitted my Pioneer headunit.

Remove the dash clocks, and look at the large wiring plug for the MID (if there's two). Cut the red wire with the white stripe. This will make the date display when the headunit is on.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2007, 22:13:21 »

Finally got both of the Autoleads cables and got round to fitting them today.
Not all went as I had hoped......

1. the memory did not work until I switched the fuse on the back of the hu to the other position, but this means that the unit is always live   [smiley=huh.gif]

2. the cable did not solve the display problem, but one of the wires had an inline bullet connector - once disconnected the display was restored, but the steering wheel controls do not now illuminate   [smiley=sad.gif]

3. the plugs on the autolead that connect to the vehicle harness were in two pieces and did not therefore fit onto the single vehicle plug without some modifications (namely hacksaw and craft knife!)  [smiley=shocked.gif]

4. the steering wheel controls, though not illuminated, work perfectly  [smiley=happy.gif]

There may have been something else, but I can't decide whether I'm happy or sad overall. I guess the cheaper cable and moving of the fuse would have solved the memory issue, and perhaps the display (?) and saved some money, but then again I have the benefit (?) of remote control which would have been unachieveable without the expense........ ah well the joys of motoring......... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2007, 23:43:38 »

The steering wheel controls are great. A lot of people seem to be happy to do without them when upgrading, but I think they're well worth the £35 or so to get them working. The radio is quite low down on the dash in the Omega, so it's great for when you're cruising on the M-way, saves having to stretch forward and look down every time you want to skip a track or adjust volume.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2007, 00:30:22 »

You're quite right Paul, and I'm really pleased with the controls. As the unit is now always live, the remote won't turn it off, but it will turn it on for some reason. Also handy is the mute/att button.
Not entirely happy that the controls don't light up, but with some usage I'll remember what's what, and I think that would be easier to bear than the middle line missing from the display.
The controls on my car never did light up, though it never had a genuine Vx hu. Only when i fitted the JVC did I realise they were in fact working, and only lit up when the stereo was on! Quite clever that, but now I wish they were 'always on'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.