Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Purchase Disco 1  (Read 2022 times)

Crazycarzowner

New Purchase Disco 1
« on: 23 July 2014, 21:26:26 »

Well, I took a punt on a V8 Discovery which was advertised on ebay. I was the only bidder and won it at £999. 75k on the clock full SH with 12 months MOT. Got the train to London earlier today & drove it back. REALLY impressed  :y :y :y No, I repeat NO rusty sills or wheel arches, underside virtually rust free apart from 2 little scabs which can be easily sorted. Lovely rumble of the V8 with loads of LR service history & receipts for work done.

There are a few niggles Boot is tempermental locking / unlocking, needs a new battery, needs new sunroof seal, steering is a bit vague - needs new joints probably, needs a jolly good cleaning. But overall very very impressed, Ohhhhhh and that V8 rumble  :o 8) 8) 8)

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: New Purchase Disco 1
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2014, 21:34:35 »

It is the boot floor and corners of the boot and the boot cross members that rot like hell......I know i have had one that looked perfect and then i found the rot...had to replace all of the rear floor and cross members....lift the boot floor carpet to take a look...if ok should be sound.I always wanted one and i hated every minute of owning it,,glad too see the back of it...never again,,awful thing,,,,but each to their own....good luck with it...

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2014, 21:42:15 »

Jason before messing around with bushes your steering box is possibly more of the problem :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2014, 21:47:15 »

Well done & good luck. I hope it meets your expectations.  :y

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2014, 21:53:26 »

I've had a look at the boot floor Floor, Still in its original blue colour with no rust  :o :o :o absolutely amazed. Cross members showing a little surface but not bad.

I was thinking about the steering box too Alarming man  :y :y will be a good place to start. But I've bought it as a doer upper, so gonna gut it completely. Brakes, suspension, steering, all axle fluids, trans fluids, engine major service. There are some usual traits but I just wanted a good solid base really. I'd post piccies but dunno how.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2014, 22:18:14 »

It is the boot floor and corners of the boot and the boot cross members that rot like hell......I know i have had one that looked perfect and then i found the rot...had to replace all of the rear floor and cross members....lift the boot floor carpet to take a look...if ok should be sound.I always wanted one and i hated every minute of owning it,,glad too see the back of it...never again,,awful thing,,,,but each to their own....good luck with it...

I have a Discovery 2,no issues with body rot on them so the chassis rots instead :-X,luckily mine is good in that department and other than it being way too thirsty I love it,reminds me of the original Range Rover  :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2014, 22:21:46 »

I have a Discovery 2,no issues with body rot on them so the chassis rots instead :-X,luckily mine is good in that department and other than it being way too thirsty I love it,reminds me of the original Range Rover  :y

I didn't mention that it's a brilliant towcar,fitted with ACE and rear self levelling air springs its rock steady with 26ft of pikey palace behind it
other rides 

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2014, 23:06:02 »

Well, I took a punt on a V8 Discovery which was advertised on ebay. I was the only bidder and won it at £999. 75k on the clock full SH with 12 months MOT. Got the train to London earlier today & drove it back. REALLY impressed  :y :y :y No, I repeat NO rusty sills or wheel arches, underside virtually rust free apart from 2 little scabs which can be easily sorted. Lovely rumble of the V8 with loads of LR service history & receipts for work done.

There are a few niggles Boot is tempermental locking / unlocking, needs a new battery, needs new sunroof seal, steering is a bit vague - needs new joints probably, needs a jolly good cleaning. But overall very very impressed, Ohhhhhh and that V8 rumble :o 8) 8) 8)

Ohhhhhhhh Yesssss.......... :D :D :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2014, 23:51:49 »

My mate is a Disco addict and has had several!  ::) To my knowledge at the moment he has 3 on 2 different continents and in various states of repair!  ;D

He drove a Disco 1 from Cape Town to Nairobi over several months and many back roads!  :y  and a few years later he bought a Disco 2 and drove it from North Berwick to Cape Town which he did in several stages and over a 3 year period.  I think he got through 3 head gaskets, 2 water pumps and a gearbox on that trip and that's only what he told me about!  ;D

His daily drive is a Disco 2, the Disco 1 for some reason got shipped home and is quietly rotting away in his Dad's yard and the other Disco 2 is stashed somewhere in Africa ready for his next jolly!!  :y  He did have a Disco 3 for a while but decided it was too sophisticated for him!  ::)

As well as being a Disco addict, he is also a paraplegic and has been wheelchair bound for the last 14 years, during which he has done the above Discoing around Africa!  :y  Helluva guy and one I'm proud to call a mate!!  :y :y :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2014, 21:17:47 »

Jason before messing around with bushes your steering box is possibly more of the problem :y
You can take the slack up on the steering box on the Disco 1
Oh and buy parts from Paddocks spares there good on prices sometimes cheaper and the sales staff know there stuff :y

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2014, 21:32:47 »

oh steer well clear of Britparts.... :y

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2014, 22:19:58 »

Shitpart if you visit Landyzone :)
other rides 

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2014, 01:30:18 »

You can take the slack up on the steering box on the Disco 1    ??? ???

Go on, how? I'm all ears 

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 July 2014, 21:15:13 »

Shitpart if you visit Landyzone :)

and island 4x4

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2014, 21:16:00 »

You can take the slack up on the steering box on the Disco 1    ??? ???

Go on, how? I'm all ears

hmm me too?? :y

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.