Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tax in the post.......  (Read 4229 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Tax in the post.......
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2014, 17:57:23 »

my only question is, where does murphy's law stand on this topic !!
Normal rules apply. If something can go wrong then it will go wrong eventually.

In my case I am dreadful at remembering anniversaries, If the reminder gets lost in the post next year then I won't remember  :(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2014, 18:12:43 »

my only question is, where does murphy's law stand on this topic !!
Normal rules apply. If something can go wrong then it will go wrong eventually.

In my case I am dreadful at remembering anniversaries, If the reminder gets lost in the post next year then I won't remember  :(

+1 at both
RIP Paul Lovejoy

belldarr

« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2014, 21:21:10 »

We were discussing the new Road Fund Licence set up at work today and allegedly you now dont need to have insurance in place to tax a car under the new system - does anyone know if this is the case??

DB

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2014, 21:26:26 »

We were discussing the new Road Fund Licence set up at work today and allegedly you now dont need to have insurance in place to tax a car under the new system - does anyone know if this is the case??

DB

it's a c0ck up if it is the case ..... I very much doubt that's right though.  :-\

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2014, 21:51:14 »

We were discussing the new Road Fund Licence set up at work today and allegedly you now dont need to have insurance in place to tax a  - does anyone know if this is the case??car under the new system

DB

Yes you do  :y :y

belldarr

« Reply #20 on: 26 September 2014, 21:58:31 »

I did a quick google and it would appear that when you buy a car from someone else they get an automatic refund when the DVLA get the V5 with a change of keeper, and before you can drive it you call a 24 hour automated helpline to set up RFL so you can drive it home.  We all know that the Motor Insurance Database has a 2 day lag for new info so even if you arranged inurance on the car when you bought it you either can't tax it until that info is updated OR they dont check and just issue tax......

This was backed up by someone who taxed a car this week at the post office and was told that they no longer needed proof of insurance.......

If that is the case then I despair as I thought one of the benefits of this new system was to try and stop all the uninsured drivers getting away with it by buying cars with t & t.

DB

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 September 2014, 22:03:35 »

This was backed up by someone who taxed a car this week at the post office and was told that they no longer needed proof of insurance.......

In the same way you can tax your car online ....... the powers that be know whether it's insured or not - but I take your point re a delay.
SWMBO received a letter a few months after we bought her car suggesting that the insurance data base showed that it wasn't insured ....... it was - I had the certificate. A call to her insurer sorted it.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 September 2014, 22:39:40 »

Oh great so more ruddy cameras trackin your journeys.  >:(  Now a glimpse into the future ...... so as time goes by, some smart arse computer will come on-line & automatically ticket you :o cos no way could you have travelled from point A to point B legally in the time noted from the data collected for your car this week & it happened on 3 occasions & your license has been revoked & £1000 has been removed from your bank account  :D :D :D

cnj

• Intermediate Member
  • ludgershall
    • 2.2 Manual CD(51 plate)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 September 2014, 08:03:01 »

big brother is perfect you know!!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 September 2014, 09:04:19 »

You'd think in this day and age they could give refunds to the day.  :-\  As we now cannot sell a car with remaining tax, think of all the 'overlaps' that will occur when a car is sold mid month and all the extra money that the revenue will be collecting.  ::)  Bastards!  >:(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 September 2014, 09:08:36 »

DB

it's a c0ck up if it is the case ..... I very much doubt that's right though.  :-\

When I taxed my Discovery earlier this month there was no mention of insurance check,only mot check ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

belldarr

« Reply #26 on: 27 September 2014, 09:56:20 »

I did say to the guy who said no insurance check was done by the Post Office person that it was all on the data base and he said she did not touch the terminal at all and just checked his MOT - handed the insurance cert back to him without looking at it stating it was no longer required.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #27 on: 27 September 2014, 10:50:08 »

I did say to the guy who said no insurance check was done by the Post Office person that it was all on the data base and he said she did not touch the terminal at all and just checked his MOT - handed the insurance cert back to him without looking at it stating it was no longer required.

That is correct as, to confirm that stated above, all the relevant information like insurance cover is now on the main DVLA computer and it any of the necessary is not in place -"Ping!"- a ANPR camera will get you and a police patrol will follow it up.  :D :D ;)

The MOT being shown to the post office clerk will, I expect, soon also be a thing of the past as that can be forged, but the computer system with insurance company confirmation cannot (usually it is correct!!) :)
« Last Edit: 27 September 2014, 10:53:40 by Lizzie Zoom »

omega3000

« Reply #28 on: 27 September 2014, 11:16:48 »

That is correct as, to confirm that stated above, all the relevant information like insurance cover is now on the main DVLA computer and it any of the necessary is not in place -"Ping!"- a ANPR camera will get you and a police patrol will follow it up.  :D :D ;)

The MOT being shown to the post office clerk will, I expect, soon also be a thing of the past as that can be forged, but the computer system with insurance company confirmation cannot (usually it is correct!!) :)

There's going to be a shed load of pingiing in them plod cars  ;D
Everything is far too reliant on computers nowadays , that can be good or very bad when it all goes wrong  :(

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #29 on: 27 September 2014, 11:27:29 »

There's going to be a shed load of pingiing in them plod cars ;D
Everything is far too reliant on computers nowadays , that can be good or very bad when it all goes wrong  :(

The flaw in the system of course Emd, as I have stated before, is that there are far too few traffic officers patrolling out there to catch all the "pings" and the culprits that cause them.  All this new technology is great, but unless you have enough police officers trained in enough patrol cars out there all too many criminals will initially escape the net.  They will eventually get caught, but they will be on the road for all too long. :( :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.