Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tax in the post.......  (Read 4227 times)

omega3000

Re: Tax in the post.......
« Reply #30 on: 27 September 2014, 11:35:33 »

I did say to the guy who said no insurance check was done by the Post Office person that it was all on the data base and he said she did not touch the terminal at all and just checked his MOT - handed the insurance cert back to him without looking at it stating it was no longer required.

That is correct as, to confirm that stated above, all the relevant information like insurance cover is now on the main DVLA computer and it any of the necessary is not in place -"Ping!"- a ANPR camera will get you and a police patrol will follow it up.  :D :D ;)

The MOT being shown to the post office clerk will, I expect, soon also be a thing of the past as that can be forged, but the computer system with insurance company confirmation cannot (usually it is correct!!) :)

There's going to be a shed load of pingiing in them plod cars ;D
Everything is far too reliant on computers nowadays , that can be good or very bad when it all goes wrong  :(

The flaw in the system of course Emd, as I have stated before, is that there are far too few traffic officers patrolling out there to catch all the "pings" and the culprits that cause them.  All this new technology is great, but unless you have enough police officers trained in enough patrol cars out there all too many criminals will initially escape the net.  They will eventually get caught, but they will be on the road for all too long. :( :(

That's right Lizzie , just what i was thinking  :( I think the plod cars can turn off the ping machine at any time .

So ill be taxing my car in 2 months , i go to the post office .. they scan relevant documents , you pay and thats it  ??? Do you get a receipt for proof of payment if say by paying cash :-\

belldarr

« Reply #31 on: 27 September 2014, 11:41:06 »

I don't think the post ofiice will be doing Car Tax after this month - it's all dealt with DVLA direct I am told (could be wrong) through online and 24 hour automated telephone, they then have payment details electronically to use to refund any unused RFL if and when you sell the car.

omega3000

« Reply #32 on: 27 September 2014, 11:48:50 »

I don't think the post ofiice will be doing Car Tax after this month - it's all dealt with DVLA direct I am told (could be wrong) through online and 24 hour automated telephone, they then have payment details electronically to use to refund any unused RFL if and when you sell the car.

Well thats going to cause a lot of trouble . I dont like the idea of no physical receipt in your hand and relying on DVLA to confirm anything  :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 September 2014, 12:02:40 »

I don't know what everyone is worried about. It's all going to be handled by a public sector IT system. We all know they never fail. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #34 on: 27 September 2014, 14:17:03 »

I did say to the guy who said no insurance check was done by the Post Office person that it was all on the data base and he said she did not touch the terminal at all and just checked his MOT - handed the insurance cert back to him without looking at it stating it was no longer required.

That is correct as, to confirm that stated above, all the relevant information like insurance cover is now on the main DVLA computer and it any of the necessary is not in place -"Ping!"- a ANPR camera will get you and a police patrol will follow it up.  :D :D ;)

The MOT being shown to the post office clerk will, I expect, soon also be a thing of the past as that can be forged, but the computer system with insurance company confirmation cannot (usually it is correct!!) :)

There's going to be a shed load of pingiing in them plod cars ;D
Everything is far too reliant on computers nowadays , that can be good or very bad when it all goes wrong  :(

The flaw in the system of course Emd, as I have stated before, is that there are far too few traffic officers patrolling out there to catch all the "pings" and the culprits that cause them.  All this new technology is great, but unless you have enough police officers trained in enough patrol cars out there all too many criminals will initially escape the net.  They will eventually get caught, but they will be on the road for all too long. :( :(

That's right Lizzie , just what i was thinking  :( I think the plod cars can turn off the ping machine at any time .

So ill be taxing my car in 2 months , i go to the post office .. they scan relevant documents , you pay and thats it  ??? Do you get a receipt for proof of payment if say by paying cash :-\

Yes, you get a receipt no matter how you pay :y :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #35 on: 27 September 2014, 14:20:32 »

I am not aware of that, and I have checked their web site and there is no indication of any forthcoming change.

Yes, that would cause a load of bother for people who haven't got an internet connection or have not got a debit/credit card.

That would be, for now, one change too far for a lot of elderly people plus others :P :P

The Sheriff

« Reply #36 on: 27 September 2014, 15:42:20 »

AFAIK you can still use the post office. I could google it but, then again, so could you have before posting.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 September 2014, 17:07:06 »

From Oct 1st, you get tax from Post Office, Online or a 24 Hour Manned Telephone No., so on the last 2 you could effectively Tax your Car at  3 am on a Sunday morning. however, unless the Insurance and MOT for the Car is all valid on the System for that vehicle, then No Tax.

So whilst in theory you may be able to get Tax after buying a new Car, out of Hours, good luck with trying to get a MID Update on your Car Insurance at the same time.

Unless they change the proposed System, I cant see it working for some.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2014, 17:09:14 by zirk »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #38 on: 28 September 2014, 19:38:40 »

Ok , not about tax....but i could never understand how this worked with APNR camera's.

I used to rent a trafic....i was given the insurance cert...

On it, it said.....any vehicle i own, rent, lease....the driver of the vehicle is insured. (bit basic info, but the gist of the cert)

So, if he's leasing/renting a vehicle, as it wont be in his name on the V5, how come it never gets pinged by the APNR camera as no insurance  :-\ :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #39 on: 28 September 2014, 20:30:21 »

Because you, as the registered keeper hold a valid insurance policy :y

Assuming I have understood your query at the wrong end of a twenty hour day :-\

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29 September 2014, 15:37:05 »

Ok,so today I went to the post office to change taxation class from disabled back to normal on my touareg,had to tax it from 1st October so did that there and then with no problem,got back to work and did an askmid check on the Touareg and its showing as uninsured(doesnt surprise me as it was only added to my traders Saturday afternoon(,just goes to prove that the Dvla have dropped the insurance check,chappy behind counter said he had online checked mot as I asked if he wanted to see it and my insurance policy,he said no. ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

The Sheriff

« Reply #41 on: 29 September 2014, 18:01:51 »

Ok,so today I went to the post office to change taxation class from disabled back to normal on my touareg,had to tax it from 1st October so did that there and then with no problem,got back to work and did an askmid check on the Touareg and its showing as uninsured(doesnt surprise me as it was only added to my traders Saturday afternoon(,just goes to prove that the Dvla have dropped the insurance check,chappy behind counter said he had online checked mot as I asked if he wanted to see it and my insurance policy,he said no. ???
Post office have been electronically checking mot and ins for donks. Where have you lot been  ???

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 September 2014, 18:41:47 »

Post office have been electronically checking mot and ins for donks. Where have you lot been  ???

I know that but they are not checking insurance any more so its changed
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.