Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing  (Read 18638 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Rear Wheel Bearing
« on: 22 April 2012, 20:57:11 »

On the way back from the weekend away the car has developed  a "speed variable" whiney type noise that we think comes from the rear nearside. By the time we'd put the tin tent away, unpacked and had dinner it is now too dark to do anything practicable....

I know it could be lots of things but it "sounds" like  bearing starting to breakup so ....

Easiest way of checking rear wheel bearings ?? The noise only changes with speed....... braking - both footbrake and light handbrake - and/or cornering does not change the noise at all.

How easy to change ?? There's a guide for the fronts but not the rears ... is Haynes book of lies sufficient ???

Any advice gratefully accepted

feeutfo

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2012, 21:04:52 »

No experience with rear wheel baring E, and I hope I never encounter the problem.

But just wondering what sort of miles your on?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2012, 21:06:29 »

No experience with rear wheel baring E, and I hope I never encounter the problem.

But just wondering what sort of miles your on?

It might not be a bearing I suppose, stone caught by the disk ?? Shield dragging on the disk ?? Diff ?? (I hope not) .. but definately a speed and therefore a rotational whine... :(

:)
« Last Edit: 22 April 2012, 21:08:09 by Entwood »

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2012, 21:11:33 »

Would tend to lean towards dif issue maybe.

But I guess a jack up and wheel wiggle in the morning will tell...?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2012, 21:42:40 »

Would tend to lean towards dif issue maybe.

But I guess a jack up and wheel wiggle in the morning will tell...?

Unable to do owt until Tuesday evening at the earliest ...  :(

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2012, 21:49:24 »

did you try pull to left or right when drive at speed?? see if noise stop

IHMO dont think its diff
have look here for wheel bearing change , on omega its same work
http://www.lotuscarlton.co.uk/rbearings.htm

« Last Edit: 22 April 2012, 21:52:21 by serek »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2012, 21:52:07 »

did you try pull to left or right when drive at speed?? see if noise stop

IHMO dont think its diff
have look here for wheel bearing change , on omega its same work
http://www.lotuscarlton.co.uk/rbearings.htm

Yup .. no difference at all.

Thanks for the link  .... but that looks completely beyond my abilities !!!   :(
« Last Edit: 22 April 2012, 21:54:29 by Entwood »

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2012, 21:54:28 »

have you ever check diff oil?? any leak from this area??

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2012, 21:55:42 »

have you ever check diff oil?? any leak from this area??

Diff oil was checked at Gaffers first meet .. when the pinion seal (?) or whatever it is called .. the seal from the propshaft into the diff .... was replaced due to a small seep.

Not looked under there recently for any new leaks

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2012, 22:34:38 »

Had O/S rear bearing go last year.

It was diagnosed by driving at a constant 40 mph and gently turning steering wheel from right to left in effect causing the laod to be put on each side in turn .In a straight line noise was like a low whine and when transfered load it could be eliminated or made worse.
Not sure how else it could be tested as needed reasonable speed/rotation to produce noise.

As it required a lot of stripping down and a fairly hefty press to remove and replace decided to give car to my friendly mechanic who agreed a 4 hour fixed labour charge to replace the genuine £40=00 VX bearing.

When I collected the car later that day he swore it was the worst job he had ever taken on any car and said he would have charged me twice what he had agreed to do the job.

If it is a  rear wheel bearing I would suggest getting somebody else to do the work and agree a price first !!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2012, 22:41:55 »

Had O/S rear bearing go last year.

It was diagnosed by driving at a constant 40 mph and gently turning steering wheel from right to left in effect causing the laod to be put on each side in turn .In a straight line noise was like a low whine and when transfered load it could be eliminated or made worse.
Not sure how else it could be tested as needed reasonable speed/rotation to produce noise.

As it required a lot of stripping down and a fairly hefty press to remove and replace decided to give car to my friendly mechanic who agreed a 4 hour fixed labour charge to replace the genuine £40=00 VX bearing.

When I collected the car later that day he swore it was the worst job he had ever taken on any car and said he would have charged me twice what he had agreed to do the job.

If it is a  rear wheel bearing I would suggest getting somebody else to do the work and agree a price first !!

Thanks for that ... couldn't do too much side-to-side activity as the tin tent was on the back and I didn't want to do anything stupid !!  but I'll try that idea as soon as possible.

Having read the link posted there is no way I'll be doing this, so your suggestion will be followed up ... I just need to find a competent mug cheap mechanic ......  :(

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2012, 22:48:15 »

That was my plan...get a "fixed price" and if less than 3 hours accept it as my guy took 2.5 hours just to get the old bearing out and new one in thats not taking into account all the rear end strip down.

Never had a peep from it since so was money well spent ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2012, 22:55:56 »

Given past posts, it was mentioned it might be better to replace the whole arm, with known good baring attached.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 April 2012, 06:35:34 »

Some have play some don't. Some just drone driving, noise getting worse when turning and "loading" the faylty side. Usual reason is that water gets in the bearing making inner parts rust and water does wear marks on bearing components. Have had two with noise and no play, both have had water and rust inside. Probably due high pressure wash or something. Also the inside of bearing is poorly covered.

Having replaced now four rw bearings (two water ruined, one worn, one pattern fitted which lasted 3 months) have found out following:
- it is BEST to remove the whole arm from the start. You will have better access to it and in case old one is really stuck you can put it in a press
- get some M12x1,5 threaded bars, 2x500 mm pieces will do. These are used to pull out the hub.
- get a pipe which inner dia is a bit bigger than bearing outer dia. Also some very thick and strong washers/steel plate is needed
- do not everm, never, in any circumstances use any other bearing than a known good wordwide brands. I have learned I will ever put anything else than FAG in. Patterns have play from new, seems the inner races contact and therefore remains the play

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2012, 09:29:25 »

I have done about 5 or 6 now.

The only one I had an issue with was on Jimbobs and I suspect I could do it in situ given what I have learn't since. I seem to recall that the one I did for him snce (was it Jimbob?) went much smoother!

Its a medium to hard job, requires stripdown of the rear brakes and the drive shaft disconnecting. The last one I did took about 1.5 hours.

Heat is the get out of jail for this job and putting the bearing in the freezer for 24 hours is important to. Also the use of various drifts, big hammers and potentialy an angle grinder (to help fracture the inner race once the outer stub is removed)
« Last Edit: 23 April 2012, 09:31:27 by Marks DTM Calib »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.