Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing  (Read 18657 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Wheel Bearing
« Reply #105 on: 12 May 2012, 18:28:07 »

Diff is OFF .....   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Need to rethink the lowering/raising method .. car is so high my trolley jack wouldn't reach, so I put some blocks of wood between it and the diff .......  needless to say, halfway through lowering it, the damn thing fell off, and like a numpty I attempted to catch it one handed .... :(  fingers is bruised and a tad sore but nowt broken .. :)

Let me know if you need a third expert numpty to help tomorrow Nige :y

If you want to come and heckle/drink coffee/get dirty/do the job ( :) ) you're more than welcome  :y :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 12 May 2012, 18:34:57 »

Need to rethink the lowering/raising method .. car is so high my trolley jack wouldn't reach, so I put some blocks of wood between it and the diff .......  needless to say, halfway through lowering it, the damn thing fell off, and like a numpty I attempted to catch it one handed .... :(  fingers is bruised and a tad sore but nowt broken .. :)

If you want to come and heckle/drink coffee/get dirty/do the job ( :) ) you're more than welcome  :y :y
Thought you might have sussed that Nige ;D ;D ::)
Still have to twirl the spanners tomorrow :D ;D. Are we going to drain "my" diff and re-fill with fresh before fitting :-\
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 12 May 2012, 18:36:59 »

He`s already got one delivering the diff so another won`t make any difference ;D ;D ;D

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 12 May 2012, 18:51:32 »

Been following this post with interest.

Would be nice to see a few pictures of the removal and refitting as sure would be usefull for us "mere mortals" in case of future issues. :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 12 May 2012, 18:55:01 »

Been following this post with interest.

Would be nice to see a few pictures of the removal and refitting as sure would be usefull for us "mere mortals" in case of future issues. :y
Only had those in my head. :D We`ll see what we can do tomorrow on fitting :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 12 May 2012, 18:59:21 »

Still have to twirl the spanners tomorrow :D ;D. Are we going to drain "my" diff and re-fill with fresh before fitting :-\

Haynes says if you drain and refill you need some special lubricant ?? But if you just top-up then any Hypoid gear oil SAE 90 will do. I'll pop out in the morning and get some of that from somewhere .. :) perhaps it might be best NOT to drain yours ???, as long as you can transport it without it leaking all over your motor !!! If thats the poblem then drain it .. we'll fill it with SAE 90 for now and I'll get some of the fancy stuff during the week

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 12 May 2012, 19:11:06 »

Haynes says if you drain and refill you need some special lubricant ?? But if you just top-up then any Hypoid gear oil SAE 90 will do. I'll pop out in the morning and get some of that from somewhere .. :) perhaps it might be best NOT to drain yours ???, as long as you can transport it without it leaking all over your motor !!! If thats the poblem then drain it .. we'll fill it with SAE 90 for now and I'll get some of the fancy stuff during the week
BS  ::)  D/S apertures plugged with carrier bags, diff in black bag, driveshafts bagged up, in the boot ready to go

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 12 May 2012, 20:54:46 »

BS  ::)  D/S apertures plugged with carrier bags, diff in black bag, driveshafts bagged up, in the boot ready to go

Fair enough .. I'll pop out and get some SAE90 to top it up with anyway ..  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #113 on: 13 May 2012, 08:50:59 »

FWIW, clearly I'm late to the party here, but:

1) Yes, I'd have expected the input shaft to be stationary if you stopped the output shaft; the slip should happen in the torque convertor (assuming automatic) or the car stall (if manual)
2) Notchiness not normal - it should be buttery smooth IMHO. Even the 20y/o Jag diff I have in the shed is buttery smooth..
3) A little lash on the input shaft is normal, but 1/2" sounds excessive if measured at the prop shaft
4) Don't try and catch a falling diff! ;) But be thankful the Omega's is light .. I did the same thing last week with a Jag diff and that finger still isn't right... but then the diff alone weighs about 50Kg ;D

Good luck getting the new diff in :)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 13 May 2012, 09:42:02 »

Yes, hoping for a satisfactory outcome. :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 13 May 2012, 14:14:50 »

Right :)  The job is jobbed !!!  :y :y :y :y :y :y :y

Many, many, HUGE thanks to Rob for driving up from Bristol with the bits, and staying to help replace them, and to Chris (Shackeng) for coming over to assist as well.

First thing we did was to compare turning the input shaft on Rob's diff and mine ... wow .. what a difference, his .. smooth and tightish ,  mine.... loose, noisy, & notchy.. sort of proved mines dead ... :(

With the three of us under the car we got the diff into position quite easily ..... All was going really, really well at 10:30, when we couldn't get the 3 T20 bolts into the side of the diff...... only to find that the threads are different on my diff and the replacement one !!! :(

We then discovered that the thread on the replacement is the same as the propshaft bolts, cue Chris driving us around Swindon (Halfords, B&Q - failed) until we found a tiny backstreet garage with a bucket of old bolts and found 3 that were almost right, just a wee tad too long. Back home cut one down, pack the other with washers and the third one is NOT a blind hole so it went in as-is !!!

Rest of the work went like a dream....

Took it for a test drive and YEAH .. my old silent Omega is returned to me ... no rumbling/graunching/grinding whatsoever ...  :y :y :y :y :y

Not too happy with those bolts so if anyone has the correct 3 bolts for the diff, the ones that are the same thread as the propshaft bolts, I'd love to buy them off you :)

Once again though ... many thanks for all the helpful advice given here, and especial thanks to Rob & Chris  :y :y :y :y :y

Now ... do I persaude Bill in Trowbridge to change the other wheel bearing ?? ......  if I do then the whole rear drive has been redone .. should last a few miles  :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: 13 May 2012, 14:18:38 by Entwood »

feeutfo

« Reply #116 on: 13 May 2012, 14:30:42 »

Good Job guys. :y

omega3000

« Reply #117 on: 13 May 2012, 15:25:51 »

Nice one , another mig sorted  8)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 13 May 2012, 15:28:35 »

Suggest you re-check diff oil level Nige. The rear end was quite high when I topped it up ;D ;D ::)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 13 May 2012, 15:45:53 »

Good result and pleased all is now restored. :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.