Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing  (Read 18634 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Wheel Bearing
« Reply #45 on: 27 April 2012, 21:44:49 »

So sorry to hear all that effort may have not resolved the problem :-[

When mine was removed it sounded like nails in a tin when rotated and all noise was gone when replaced and driven and has been like that now for some 50k.

Silly question but I assume you have checked oil level in diff ? even though reading this post I see it has been replaced a while ago.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 April 2012, 21:47:13 »

Sorry - coming to this late.

Are you 100% sure its not the brake disk rubbing against the backing shield? That would've been my inital guess given the Shhh-Shhh noise. Bearings normally whine or grumble continuously IME. Your Shhh-Shhh nois suggests something lightly loaded rubbing due to run-out. If bent, things only have to move a few thou to stop/start rubbing. Taking the wheel off to investigate can allow things to move a few thou.

Another possibility is the drive shaft or driveshaft flange rubbing on something - most likely candidate is here is a brake pipe, so best check to be sure!

Also, whilst the rear disks were off, I'd have replaced them (and the handbrake shoes) with new. Disks are £60 a pair, and given the greif getting old ones off past the handbrake lip....

I agree with you on the handbrake adjuster wheel thing. One of the many carry-overs from the Carlton/Senator days, and it was a cr@p design then.

Cheers
Malcolm

jiho102

• Newmarket
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 27 April 2012, 23:50:46 »

Hi.
    Not been on here for a few weeks but reading this tonight and had the same symptons last year on my 2.5 estate.
Thinking the huming noise was coming from the left hand rear bearing bought a new one ready for fitting when after trying to get more advice from a number of people the conclusion was the rear diff might be going. Dont ask me how every body come to that because i cant remember.
Anyway, went and got a second hand diff delivered more in hope than expectation and got my mechanic to fit it and wow be tide it cured the problem, the silence was bliss.
Now you have a new bearing fitted it might be the diff after all, not saying it is though :).
Hope this might help in some way.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 28 April 2012, 00:03:39 »

Hi.
    Not been on here for a few weeks but reading this tonight and had the same symptons last year on my 2.5 estate.
Thinking the huming noise was coming from the left hand rear bearing bought a new one ready for fitting when after trying to get more advice from a number of people the conclusion was the rear diff might be going. Dont ask me how every body come to that because i cant remember.
Anyway, went and got a second hand diff delivered more in hope than expectation and got my mechanic to fit it and wow be tide it cured the problem, the silence was bliss.
Now you have a new bearing fitted it might be the diff after all, not saying it is though :).

Much internet research tonight makes me start to think the same ... so it looks like I need someone breaking either a 2.6 manual or a 3.2 auto to get the right diff. I'll probably take the drive shafts as well just in case.

Looking through the past adverts that looks highly unlikely :(

My present plan is to suck out as much fluid as I can from the diff and refill with new.. and see if that makes any difference. I don't hold out much hope but it might keep it going until a replacement diff comes along .. :(

Only good thing is that reading the guides/haynes it appears to be within my limited abilities....

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 28 April 2012, 00:42:51 »

Hi.

Much internet research tonight makes me start to think the same ... so it looks like I need someone breaking either a 2.6 manual or a 3.2 auto to get the right diff. I'll probably take the drive shafts as well just in case.

Looking through the past adverts that looks highly unlikely :(

My present plan is to suck out as much fluid as I can from the diff and refill with new.. and see if that makes any difference. I don't hold out much hope but it might keep it going until a replacement diff comes along .. :(

Only good thing is that reading the guides/haynes it appears to be within my limited abilities....
3.0 auto has the 3:9 diff as does the 3.2 auto
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

feeutfo

« Reply #50 on: 28 April 2012, 02:24:45 »

Although if fitting a 2.6 dif, which will fit, it would give you better acceleration, making towing easier.
3.9 stock to 4.2 ....realistically though, it makes little odds tbh.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 29 April 2012, 15:38:43 »

Right... on with the saga ....

Had to tow the tin tent yesterday and today, and made the discovery that the noise, although still apparent is very much reduced whilst the van is attached. Take the van off the hitch and the noise is back loud again.

Now, even though I have self levelling suspension, I reckon there must be a difference in the alignement of the drive shafts when towing ?? They will be slightly "flatter" for want of a better description ?? Could it be that the UJ inside the drive shaft is the problem ??

I'm now very tempted to go for the drive shafts and diff from Robs 3.0 if still available and known to be good ....

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=102333.0

or the drive shafts off Brikheads 2.6

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=102211.0

Any thoughts from anyone ??

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 29 April 2012, 15:40:20 »

Doesn't the 2.6 have a different ratio diff?  :-\

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 29 April 2012, 15:50:35 »

instead of replacing parts willy nilly,drag it back to  riverway tomorrow night  and lets hava a listen to this noise. :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 29 April 2012, 15:50:45 »

Yup .. that's why just the drive shafts from the 2.6 .... :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 29 April 2012, 15:53:39 »

instead of replacing parts willy nilly,drag it back to  riverway tomorrow night  and lets hava a listen to this noise. :y

That's a very kind offer  :y :y but I wouldn't be able to get to your place before 18:30 at the earliest...  :(

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 29 April 2012, 15:57:57 »

fine.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 29 April 2012, 16:06:20 »

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 29 April 2012, 16:08:57 »

i will see you tomorrow night and hopefully, we will get to the bottom of this. :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 29 April 2012, 17:15:02 »

Yup .. that's why just the drive shafts from the 2.6 .... :)
Nige if it`s just a driveshaft/s think I`ve got 2 knocking around in the shed
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.