Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing  (Read 18642 times)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Wheel Bearing
« Reply #75 on: 01 May 2012, 02:13:45 »

Just a thought, but what about getting a tow? Disconnect the drive shaft and see if the noise is still present?

Been following this saga:
This is a sound idea Nige, and I'm with young Tunnie on this! ;)

(Borne out of bitter experience some years back whilst 'on the buses' - a mis-diagnosis had previously involved a diff-change which eventually revealed the fluid flywheel loose at the crankshaft!)
No tinker listened to this scribe's theory - the result was an immobilised bus/passengers with gallons of transmission fluid spewed over a busy road junction, plus a grid-locked town centre in the evening rush hour.
Thank the Lord that I was on an early shift that day! ;D

If ya need a high-speed tow, send me a PM; as I'm off work next weekend, with nowt really planned (yet!).
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 01 May 2012, 09:35:32 »

What's the input taper bearing into the diff like? (it's the bearing you need to take note of the pre-load if you change the diff input oil seal)  :-\ :-\

I've no idea what it is like .. but 2Woody changed the diff input seal for me last year ....... do you think this could be related ???

..and I remember when we took the old seal out, that the pinion nut had worked loose. :o Maybe the bearing's fate had been sealed then?

Failing that, driveshaft or prop centre bearing perhaps?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 01 May 2012, 11:24:22 »

Could you not run the wheels unloaded? Ie rear end on axle stands  put it in drive and have a listen under the car. Doing this you may be able to locate the noise.  If you also pull the hand brake cable on each side in turn you may be able to work out what side the noise is coming from, if you still get it when each side is locked then it narrows it down to diff or gearbox. 
Lee
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 01 May 2012, 11:45:46 »

What's the input taper bearing into the diff like? (it's the bearing you need to take note of the pre-load if you change the diff input oil seal)  :-\ :-\

I've no idea what it is like .. but 2Woody changed the diff input seal for me last year ....... do you think this could be related ???

..and I remember when we took the old seal out, that the pinion nut had worked loose. :o Maybe the bearing's fate had been sealed then?

Failing that, driveshaft or prop centre bearing perhaps?

I had the same thought about the centre bearing, had one go on a Ford and it took ages to find the problem!
best wishes
Simon.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 01 May 2012, 12:01:20 »

Could you not run the wheels unloaded? Ie rear end on axle stands  put it in drive and have a listen under the car. Doing this you may be able to locate the noise.  If you also pull the hand brake cable on each side in turn you may be able to work out what side the noise is coming from, if you still get it when each side is locked then it narrows it down to diff or gearbox. 
Lee

Yep, good point. A little braking on one side will stop that side and transfer the torque to the other side. If it's a noisy lobro joint it'll help diagnose it.

.. and that might tie up with the reduced noise with the burger-van on the back, as the angle of the joints will change with loading.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 01 May 2012, 17:46:47 »

Thanks for all the ideas ... keep 'em coming !!!!  :)

Mr S checked the diff oil level and played with the prop shaft, he couldn't feel any slack/play ... but that doesn't mean the input bearing is good I suppose...   :(

Due to other commitments I'll not be able to do anything until a week Thursday, which will actually support Mr S's idea of driving it until it gets worse and REALLY tells me where the problem is !!

On that Thursday I plan to do the following..... until I find some answers ..hopefully

Swap tyres front to rear - Mr S's idea
Jack the back end up on axle stands and run with both wheels off the ground - Lee's idea
Use handbrake cable to stop each wheel in turn - Lee's idea
Use the trolley jack on each suspension point to raise/lower the wheel whilst it is turning - Kevin's idea (ish)

If all that achieves nowt I'm thinking of removing the drive shafts and then running it again to try and check out the diff alone ??

Trouble with all the above is that it will all be done under "no load" conditions so may prove nothing.....   :(

In the mean time I'm tempted to ask Rob to remove the diff and drive shafts from the 3.0 and sell them to me. I then have them if needed, if it turns out to be something else I just keep them as spares.

Puzzled of Wiltshire ...  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 01 May 2012, 18:20:56 »

Have you ruled out tyres, any different with a load in the rear?

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 01 May 2012, 19:45:34 »

Is it ok to run the back wheels with the back jacked up I have heard that damage can be done to the  drive shaft or diff bearings

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 01 May 2012, 19:52:20 »

Have you ruled out tyres, any different with a load in the rear?

Mr S has suggested swapping the wheels around to see if the noise moves, I plan to do that and to try the spare on each side to see if it makes any difference.

With the tin-tent on the back the noise is reduced but does not stop

:(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 01 May 2012, 19:53:14 »

Is it ok to run the back wheels with the back jacked up I have heard that damage can be done to the  drive shaft or diff bearings

mmmm not heard of that before .......  :(

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 02 May 2012, 06:10:00 »

I've heard the same, someone here said a few years back that it should not be done as the drive shaft joints come to a very "uncomfortable" position as they "hang".

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 03 May 2012, 13:08:42 »

I've heard the same, someone here said a few years back that it should not be done as the drive shaft joints come to a very "uncomfortable" position as they "hang".

If the car is jacked at the rear of the trailing arms it should keep the angles close to what they are on the ground but If jacked and allowed to hang I agree that drive joint chatter could be present.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 11 May 2012, 11:00:13 »

Any resolution yet Nige :-\
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 11 May 2012, 16:33:22 »

Any resolution yet Nige :-\

Nah .. weather has been too bad to get anywhere near it .....  There is now an exceedingly marked difference between solo and towing.

My plan, if the weather allows tomorrow is to jack the back end up and place on axle stands, then to use bottle jacks under the rear shock absorber lower mounts to raise the wheels until they are as near normal as possible, then run the car in gear and try and identify the source of the 'orrible noises.

Once that's done I expect I'll be contacting you for the diff and drive shafts as I'm slowly getting convinced thats the only way to fix the problem......  :(

Just hope for some decent weather tomorrow !!!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 11 May 2012, 20:05:57 »

Nige, I'm about this weekend if you want to try Tunnie's tow idea. :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.