Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Loom  (Read 32809 times)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
Engine Loom
« on: 18 February 2015, 18:19:05 »

Not sure if i am going to be needing one of these just yet  :-\ :-\ do they have part numbers.Seen talk of getting the right one with a number on a white label on the loom and this must be matched...   :y

05omegav6

Re: Engine Loom
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2015, 19:36:13 »

Not sure if i am going to be needing one of these just yet  :-\ :-\ do they have part numbers.Seen talk of getting the right one with a number on a white label on the loom and this must be matched...   :y
You might get away with adding a tail to the 246 coil pack loom, to essentially replace the plug... if two coil packs haven't solved the issue, then it must be wiring related :-\

I might have a spare one here... will have a rummage shortly :y

Any 2.6/3.2 auto loom will do the job if changing the plug/6" of loom doesn't work :y

The extras like oil level sensor etc are on a separate loom, btw...

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2015, 19:54:58 »

When yours went Al did it sort of make a knock noise once the cylinder shut down  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2015, 20:03:56 »

When yours went Al did it sort of make a knock noise once the cylinder shut down  :-\
It really wasn't happy, to the point that the plug had disintegrated :o there's a pic here aboots of the offending plug, but only symptoms were a persistant 0300 and 0306, followed by 0304,0305,0303 etc, but always 0300 and 0306 :-\

Symptoms persisted even with new plugs, coil packs and even tried swapping the ecu... all made sfa difference :-\

Took two attempts for the loom to finally solve the issue.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2015, 21:01:38 »

What is strange about it is, it came about owing to the coil pack not like being unplugged.yet it dont seem common on here from what i see.. its just good old lucky you and me  ;D ;D And would of thought first port of call would be wiring in the plug,but you went down that route.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2015, 21:47:41 »

If the wiring within the plug is corroded then changing the plug and a small section of loom could be all it needs :-\

Could try spraying a contact cleaner into the plug terminals before getting stuck in, and see if that helps :y

I do have a couple of tails here with plugs if needs be, and can give you the auto loom details... will dig them out in the morning...

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2015, 22:58:00 »

Had one of them brain wave moments. ;D ;D thought lets do a macro to see if i can see pitting/arcing.. And then blame the connector.. Not So  :'( :'(

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2015, 23:19:03 »

What state is the loom side in?

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2015, 23:30:40 »

What state is the loom side in?
Never looked at that Al..Owing to when i fitted the new coil pack i thought that was the problem...

If a tail and plug/connector are soldered to that part of the loom ...does the work have to be done down there in that tight spot ,,behind the coil pack.  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2015, 23:40:12 »

Cover off the loom tray, remove the tape and you'll get the plug to about where the oil cap is... :y

Once a bit more accessible, you can carefully strip the plug down to check for evidence of water ingress at the loom side :y
« Last Edit: 19 February 2015, 23:41:55 by Taxi Al »

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2015, 23:48:07 »

Cover off the loom tray, remove the tape and you'll get the plug to about where the oil cap is... :y

Once a bit more accessible, you can carefully strip the plug down to check for evidence of water ingress at the loom side :y
did you see that on yours..

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2015, 00:08:00 »

did you see that on yours..
Truth be told, I didn't check it... :-[ I figured that if three known good coil packs and a known good ecu didn't fix it then the problem must be in the loom :-\

Between them both coil packs have eight wires from the ecu... 1 common power supply, 1 common return, and six trigger wires... one for each cylinder. The common power feed also goes to a resistor which mounts to the back of the 246 head.

If you find a loose brown wire that doesn't connect to anything then that's where that is supposed to go. New resistors are readily available from Vauxhall, but you'll need to renew the plug for it on the loom. Mine had separated due to water from the scuttle... the break on it was blue with copper oxide. This wire is live with the ignition so DO NOT ground it... I did and it nearly torched the car :-X

It was a while ago, and iirc, that was when I replaced a section of wiring, which didn't help so I went straight to changing the loom.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2015, 00:21:24 »

yes i seen that one  ;D ;D

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=97906.msg1226018#msg1226018

yes mine had a previous water problem too from the scuttle..

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2015, 18:37:48 »

Was talking to Daz about loom swapping and chopping around and he said....Just to be sure that is what it needs doing go out to car and swap plug 6..

So i went out and swapped plug 6...i also had a wiggle of that radio thing/ brown wire...i removed the black wire tray and pulled the million wires out the way. and unplugged and removed coil pack.The plug i removed looked all good to me,but i swapped it anyway.
Put coil pack back on plugged it in.And left all the wires there naked cos i hate removing that plastic tray.
I then decided to give it a run out after clearing all the old codes....These were ...p0302,p0304.p0306 All the n/s bank..

now i went for a run 10 miles fast/slow/thrash it the lot... And not a single code and it never missed a beat.
Wonder what will happen when i put the wires back in the case, ;D ;D ;D

Al you said....Between them both coil packs have eight wires from the ecu... 1 common power supply, 1 common return, and six trigger wires... one for each cylinder. The common power feed also goes to a resistor which mounts to the back of the 246 head

From them codes it must be a problem with the common power supply to that bank or the common return to that bank.. I cannot see it being any other.

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2015, 19:08:57 »

Could be but it always starts with 0300 and 0306,  the 0300 caused by a general grumble, the 0306 being number 6 shutting down eventually, if left idling, the rest of the cylinders will fall over, generating the rest of the codes... if the issue is with the common feeds it would affect all six cylinders equally  :y

Oh, and not wanting to piss on your fireworks, but after the codes are cleared it will run fine for a while... do another ten miles then leave it idling... within five minutes you'll have the light back on and an 0306 to clear :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.