Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?  (Read 21255 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?
« Reply #105 on: 25 December 2015, 20:23:19 »

Also note the leather interiors : i would not have another leather due to the drivers heated seats failing ...all the cloth heated seats ive had have always worked  :)
Omegatitis

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 25 December 2015, 21:00:38 »

Also note the leather interiors : i would not have another leather due to the drivers heated seats failing ...all the cloth heated seats ive had have always worked  :)

To be honest i do like leather but i would also be happy to have an elite with a cloth interior, its warmer in winter and more forgiving in terms of providing comfort, the issue is i only want an Elite and as far as i am aware (apart from the 2.5/2.6) they all came with leather as standard and even the smaller engined ones were often spec'd with it as an option, to find a 3.0litre or a 3.2 with cloth will be highly unlikely.

The Omega CD on the link is expensive but given its miles and condtion i would be happy to pay that, as i have said befoe the price of these cars is so low in real terms that its a none issue, its finding the car that will cause the problem as nice ones (aka unmolested) is getting harder and harder.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 25 December 2015, 22:26:24 »

Mine has cloth seats - heated front and rear.

I have never needed to use the heaters so they probably still work ::)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 25 December 2015, 23:26:40 »

My Elite's heated leather driver's seat worked ..... well it did after I fixed it.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 25 December 2015, 23:42:57 »

My Elite's heated leather driver's seat worked ..... well it did after I fixed it.

So is mine sort of , it burns your bottom  ::) I believe yours was the superior p/f though andy  ;)
Omegatitis

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 26 December 2015, 08:51:08 »

I believe yours was the superior p/f though andy  ;)

Indeed it was  :y :y :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #111 on: 26 December 2015, 09:01:11 »

To be honest i do like leather but i would also be happy to have an elite with a cloth interior, its warmer in winter and more forgiving in terms of providing comfort, the issue is i only want an Elite and as far as i am aware (apart from the 2.5/2.6) they all came with leather as standard and even the smaller engined ones were often spec'd with it as an option, to find a 3.0litre or a 3.2 with cloth will be highly unlikely.

The Omega CD on the link is expensive but given its miles and condtion i would be happy to pay that, as i have said befoe the price of these cars is so low in real terms that its a none issue, its finding the car that will cause the problem as nice ones (aka unmolested) is getting harder and harder.

I sold my 2 owner 2.6 CDX manual back in November full history all receipts in great condition one tiny spot on the rear wheel arch to a member on here via the bay for £755 , he was well pleased with it ,so there are good ones around consider a CDX they are excellent.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 26 December 2015, 09:46:39 »

Cloth ones fail as well.  My old tractor only had 1 working seat out of the 4 ;D.  Doesn't matter with cloth, though.

Both my current Omegas each have 4 working seats, admittedly, the front passenger one in the MV6 has been repaired once, and I think the drivers soon will due to a hotspot.

IMHO, Elite cloth is more comfortable than Elite leather, even without taking the leather temperature discomfort into account.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 26 December 2015, 09:57:50 »

TheBoy here got a 50k? 3.2 Elite, body wise underneath, mine was in far far better condition.
Indeed, it was sub 60k at the time (now, well into 6 digits, as its "her" car), and was not bad for its age. But yours was a minter.

For those that don't know, the 3.2 tunnie now owns, I bought from Gixer, purely for the Irmscher stuff, and intended to break the rest. However, it was, without doubt, the tidiest Omega I'd seem on the outside, even with all the bumpers removed, not a spot of rust.  Tunnie saw it (as we were using his garage as storage) and agreed it was too good to break, and bought it.  Apart from a pesky lifter, and 3.2 economy, I think tunnie loves it. And rightly so :)

Indeed. The 3.2 drives so well, it really needs a cambelt  though ::)

The tints really set it off, not something I would have ever thought to fit personally. But they do look good and make driving at night in the motorway a real pleasure, no glare. Must be getting old  ;D

I need the 2.2 to meet its end, to force me to part with it now. It's worth penny's yet it's so, so, so cheap to run on LPG.

But for now the 3.2 is our family car  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 26 December 2015, 10:06:00 »

Do lifters first or at same time. Save doing it twice :)

The tints really set it off, not something I would have ever thought to fit personally. But they do look good and make driving at night in the motorway a real pleasure, no glare. Must be getting old  ;D
Obviously the Elite has a pretty reasonable autodip mirror, so I never have an issue without them, expect in door mirrors. I suspect with rear tints, your mirror never dips anyway?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 26 December 2015, 10:16:05 »

As we've said time and time again, though, despite the fuel consumption:

it's comfortable
It's capable
It's roomy, with plenty of room for adults in the back
It's cheap to run (fuel aside), service, insure and tax
I'd rather be in an Omega that a lot of other cars in a pile up
Its an easy, effortless drive that can crunch miles easily and comfortably, even with 4 adults and luggage in.

Or buy something similar for £10k for a 10yr old model, that at best will be equal to it, maybe better on fuel if you plump for diesel. £10k is a lot of fuel - lets say a replacement is a third better on fuel, you'd have to burn through £30k of fuel to break even purely on fuel, before you even take into account the savings the Omega has with servicing, tax etc etc.

No brainer, really, from a purely financial point of view (and ignoring desires, little wanters, and keeping up with the Jones' etc)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 26 December 2015, 10:17:06 »

Do lifters first or at same time. Save doing it twice :)

Obviously the Elite has a pretty reasonable autodip mirror, so I never have an issue without them, expect in door mirrors. I suspect with rear tints, your mirror never dips anyway?

To point one yes, I'm hoping to arrange a timely curry at the same time. Been a while since done weekends car work plus a curry.

I've bought all bits, cambelt kit (3.0 one) - I have lifters, black goo for cam covers. GM for o-rings, but was looking to try dbugs gaskets. Just need to find a time with you and your new  neighbour   :)

To the second point I've had to unplug the auto dip, as it never undipped. Bright sunshine and it would be ok, but normal conditions it was too dark looking into it. So with it unplugged your can see a lot better

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 26 December 2015, 10:20:43 »

Surprised the mirror is always dipping - I'd expect the it wouldn't really see the lights behind as bright.  But as you don't need the function anyway :)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 26 December 2015, 10:38:20 »

As we've said time and time again, though, despite the fuel consumption:

it's comfortable
It's capable
It's roomy, with plenty of room for adults in the back
It's cheap to run (fuel aside), service, insure and tax
I'd rather be in an Omega that a lot of other cars in a pile up
Its an easy, effortless drive that can crunch miles easily and comfortably, even with 4 adults and luggage in.

Or buy something similar for £10k for a 10yr old model, that at best will be equal to it, maybe better on fuel if you plump for diesel. £10k is a lot of fuel - lets say a replacement is a third better on fuel, you'd have to burn through £30k of fuel to break even purely on fuel, before you even take into account the savings the Omega has with servicing, tax etc etc.

No brainer, really, from a purely financial point of view (and ignoring desires, little wanters, and keeping up with the Jones' etc)

Yep. I've had offers to buy it, also seriously considered a Zafria. But if have to spend at least 3 times what the 3.2 is worth to get a half decent Zafria. What would gain? Won't be as comfy or as fast, look as good, go as well. No Bose sounds, leather and effortless drive.

MrsT has really grown to like the 3.2 as well, she switches between both. Never driven an auto before, but now she always goes for the 3.2's keys.

I've mentioned it before, but when we need 3 seats in the back row, that is when a decision will need to be made. That's if both are still running then, as it will be around 3 years at least I think before little MissT has two brothers or sisters.

I do like the Merc CLS 320's - but even 10k there means oldish example. No cheap service any more either!

If 3 back row seats are not needed, we might look at XC90's  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 26 December 2015, 10:59:28 »

I've mentioned it before, but when we need 3 seats in the back row, that is when a decision will need to be made. That's if both are still running then, as it will be around 3 years at least I think before little MissT has two brothers or sisters.
Whilst, like virtually any RWD car, 3 adults in the back is a squeeze, its fine for "smaller ones", and having 3 real seatbeats in the back keeps safety up :)

Mrs TB always tends to go for the 3.2, as deep down, I think she quite likes the Chav.  I rarely get to drive it ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.