Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?  (Read 21261 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?
« Reply #45 on: 18 December 2015, 12:56:52 »

Just seen this... it's broken, but frankly looks easily repairable, and after the usual culprits have been sorted seems a fine motor, all look very clean and tidy cosmetically.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-ELITE-V6-AUTO-GREY-/231786923640?hash=item35f793c678:g:dx4AAOSwJcZWcshb

I might be interested in that if I could get it transported to here cheaply enough.Not worth going much above the start price though as the cost of oil cooler, cambelt kit, possibly tyres and god knows what else, will soon add up.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 December 2015, 13:32:20 »

Engine got to be worth 150 notes alone  :-\ A good buy if it near you , got to add at least £100 for delivery truck or trailer hire £50 . Soon adds up but if its a keeper then no brainer  :)
Omegatitis

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #47 on: 18 December 2015, 15:24:01 »

Certainly reads like an enthusiast. They clearly don't  know the cars..
Otherwise they wouldn't be advertising it as HG failure ::)

I am enthusiastic about E-Type Jags, but I don't know the first thing about working on them:)

If I didn't already have two Omegas - one broke, one SORN - then this would be a tempting way of me getting a very very well specced car.  :)

Did a fair amount of work on my old 3.8 E Type back in my youth in the late 60s.  Fairly easy and straightforward caar to work on including setting up and balancing the triple SUs ;)  Wish I'd still got it, along with a few other tasty cars I've owned.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

ted_one

« Reply #48 on: 18 December 2015, 16:26:32 »

Whoa!!! having taken a much lower mileage non running car from a salvage company,I can only impart my own experiences about such a venture. Because if, it's a non runner there could be a range of other problems that may only become apparent once you get your hands on the car and it has been thoroughly worked through.I can tell you that the £650 paid for the car quickly turned in to a project that has cost in excess of £5-£6000,this includes low loading fees,a replacement engine/cambelt kit etc,replacement auto trans/filters etc,all new steering/suspension parts,shocks springs etc,brakes,new cats and a complete exhaust system,tyres,wheel arches replaced, condenser, radiator,full respray.Also the car being ex police had hidden ''operational damage'' requiring it to be jigged to straighten it out,and that's really not all of it, as it still continues up to present time!with more fettling planned for the coming year.
I think that there's an element of optimism about cars like this,and you have to be careful not to have eyes to big for your belly,because it's an Omega and it will start sucking up your hard earned very quickly and that usually ends up as bad news for the car as the money starts to get tight,which ultimately then seals the fate of the car. So as the man says ''buyer beware'' and the other one is ''a fool and his money are easily parted'' I fit both of those catergories........regretfully!! ::) ::) ::) so just be a bit careful not to end up in my select club!!

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 December 2015, 22:51:31 »

To be honest that ebay non runner '' bargain '' could be ok but its not for me ! I am after a well looked after but running car, a car like the one on ebay could be a total money pit. I will keep looking and no doubt in time one will turn up.

05omegav6

« Reply #50 on: 18 December 2015, 23:33:19 »

To be honest that ebay non runner '' bargain '' could be ok but its not for me ! I am after a well looked after but running car, a car like the one on ebay could be a total money pit. I will keep looking and no doubt in time one will turn up.
Could someone ppease use a bit of imagination... ::)

Any Omega you buy will most likely need a full service, cambelt, wishbones and a decent geometry set up... You could potentially pick up that one linked to for sub £300 or you could spend ten times as much, but either way you'll be spending on the above list regardless at some point in the first year..

If that one is relatively rust free, and straight and tidy, then it has serious keeper potential. Whilst you're working through it making it just right, you can cross off all the usual items and at the end of the process you will have the car you want just how you want it...

If you need a car now or don't have time/space for a keeper project, then the Omega probably isn't for you...

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 December 2015, 08:50:27 »

If that one is relatively rust free, and straight and tidy, then it has serious keeper potential. Whilst you're working through it making it just right, you can cross off all the usual items and at the end of the process you will have the car you want just how you want it...

If you need a car now or don't have time/space for a keeper project, then the Omega probably isn't for you...

I don't need a car now i have two already but wanted the Omega for ' sentimental ' reasons, i do have somewhere to keep it but want to find one that is owned by someone like me ..... who does not ignore items when they need doing or does them before they become a problem, thats how my cars are, anyone buying my car or my wifes car would have zero issues, both cambelts and waterpumps have been done on time all the service items are up to date, my wifes 06 plate has just had new discs and pads all round and had the 2 front tyres replaced as they were getting close to 3mm......they have never seen the inside of a car wash and are very well looked after, surley not ALL omega owners are shed merchants ? Those who just run them into the ground ? I will look for a normal driver who just looks after their car but simply wishes to change it.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2015, 08:53:07 by Hudson »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 December 2015, 09:24:42 »

I don't need a car now i have two already but wanted the Omega for ' sentimental ' reasons, i do have somewhere to keep it but want to find one that is owned by someone like me ..... who does not ignore items when they need doing or does them before they become a problem, thats how my cars are, anyone buying my car or my wifes car would have zero issues, both cambelts and waterpumps have been done on time all the service items are up to date, my wifes 06 plate has just had new discs and pads all round and had the 2 front tyres replaced as they were getting close to 3mm......they have never seen the inside of a car wash and are very well looked after, surley not ALL omega owners are shed merchants ? Those who just run them into the ground ? I will look for a normal driver who just looks after their car but simply wishes to change it.
The down side is that most people who treat their cars like you are enthusiasts and, probably, members here. That means they probably won't want to part with it until it gets to the point where it starts needing things  ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 December 2015, 13:10:07 »

Engine got to be worth 150 notes alone  :-\ A good buy if it near you , got to add at least £100 for delivery truck or trailer hire £50 . Soon adds up but if its a keeper then no brainer  :)

Have you ever tried selling a 3.2 (or any other v6) engine ? You cant give them away, unless your prepared to wait, possibly years, for someone who wants / needs one.
When metal prices were higher it was a better bet to leave them in the car and weigh it in.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ted_one

« Reply #54 on: 19 December 2015, 15:10:17 »

Can't quite agree with the last comment,to a point you are right,but I have nine messages in my inbox asking me to sell my cars to them  and two guys where I work also keep on at me for first refusals.I'm also of a mind that a lot of Omegas that come up for sale have never been cared for properly and I'm sure that's why so many are for spares or repair,thus making them money pits as you have to go through them looking for the regular faults caused by lack of proper care.It's taken me fourteen years of ownership to figure out that it's a beast that needs constant watching and being ready to put your hand in your pocket to give it what it needs. Also Al is right,if you are going to buy a non runner,then it's a project car which with a bit of hard work/money the car can end up being something to be proud of,conversely you could get it up and running using s/hand parts etc,getting it legal and the rag it to death for a year or two, or wait patiently for a low miler time capsule to pop up.It does happen occasionally as I'm sure there are a few squirreled away,but they don't come cheap and there's always a bit of a feeding frenzy when one appears.Also I've got to say that a couple of years back I would have certainly gone and had a look at that car,but I've had my bumps read recently and I now have closed the home for Omega waifs and strays, have now seen sense and won't ever buy any more projects or even a brand new barn find Omega(if there were ever to be one) :-\ :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19 December 2015, 15:28:12 »

Wouldnt disagree with any of that. My comment was purely in response to the quoted post about the engine alone being worth £150.  ;)

ted_one

« Reply #56 on: 19 December 2015, 15:40:13 »

Sort of fingers crossed that they'll get as rare as hen's teeth, and then it will be only genuine buyers looking to keep the cars long term,but for the present I'll keep them until the time comes when I can come to terms with seeing one of mine going down the road to a new home :'(  Will happen a lot sooner if SWMBO has anything to do with it!! :)

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 19 December 2015, 20:09:09 »

Sort of fingers crossed that they'll get as rare as hen's teeth, and then it will be only genuine buyers looking to keep the cars long term,but for the present I'll keep them until the time comes when I can come to terms with seeing one of mine going down the road to a new home :'(  Will happen a lot sooner if SWMBO has anything to do with it!! :)

I agree that decent ones are like hens teeth but from my limited search...... tatty ones are in abundance !!!

05omegav6

« Reply #58 on: 19 December 2015, 21:24:34 »

Define tatty... Have you actually looked at any :-\

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 19 December 2015, 23:24:49 »

Define tatty... Have you actually looked at any :-\

Yep, saw one yesterday.... a 2003 elite, 2.6 in manual (want auto so did not notice this in the ad but it was local)...... both arches gone, said svc history..... he could not locate it when i visited !!! rips in the seats.....no idea if cambelt had been done, did not know when the gearbox oil was changed,  need i go on.... TAT. They are so cheap now that price is not the issue, i simply want one that i have a reasonable chance to trust will not all light up like a christmas tree the moment i drive down the road ! I see other makes of cars older than 2003 where its clear the owners have taken care of them... i fail to see why an Omega owner should be any different.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.