Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?  (Read 21267 times)

STEMO

Re: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?
« Reply #90 on: 23 December 2015, 22:09:17 »

Here's one up north :

:oNot for me i am afraid...... i want to pay a tad more than that one  ;D To much to say on what is wrong with it to really inspire confidence that what he is saying is just the tip of the iceberg !
You're chasing something that simply isn't out there.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 24 December 2015, 00:19:15 »

One posted by EMD looks tidy enough, it's body work and condition to look for. I spy a new coolant bottle in that bay, looks straight enough inside too, seats look good.

You will need to budget for suspension, cambelt, general service on anything.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 24 December 2015, 11:05:48 »

One posted by EMD looks tidy enough, it's body work and condition to look for. I spy a new coolant bottle in that bay, looks straight enough inside too, seats look good.

That one didnt last long , its already sold .
Omegatitis

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 24 December 2015, 15:53:00 »

That one didnt last long , its already sold .

Not surprised. Looked a good example :)

ted_one

« Reply #94 on: 24 December 2015, 16:17:38 »

That 3.2,is a potential shed/money pit >:( take it from one who has seen the light ::) obviously been neglected reading between the lines ???

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 24 December 2015, 16:27:08 »

Here's one up north :

:oNot for me i am afraid...... i want to pay a tad more than that one  ;D To much to say on what is wrong with it to really inspire confidence that what he is saying is just the tip of the iceberg !
You're chasing something that simply isn't out there.
About right there  :y

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 24 December 2015, 22:21:46 »

That 3.2,is a potential shed/money pit >:( take it from one who has seen the light ::) obviously been neglected reading between the lines ???

yep, what i thought...... oil leaks etc and jobs that the owner says are easy to do but he could not be bothered to do them ! Speaks volumes as to the kind of owner he is. Like any car which is looked after all through its life the overall condition will reflect what has been done under the bonnet, most owners of cars who bother to not take it through car washes and take pride in how they look tend to do the mechanical things as well, everytime i see cars for sale with dent's in the wings etc but with the owner's blurb of '' easy fix at a bodyshop '' i would simply ignore it. Its a guarantee that the rest of the car will be neglected to the same standard but you will not see it so easily.

As an example of what can be found out there this is currently on autotrader, i know its not an Elite but it could of easily been and if this CD exists with these miles and condition then an Elite can.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201511128636484?page=4&sort=default&make=vauxhall&radius=1500&postcode=M3%204HH&search-target=usedcars&onesearchad=used&model=omega&logcode=p
« Last Edit: 24 December 2015, 22:35:24 by Hudson »

05omegav6

« Reply #97 on: 24 December 2015, 22:44:48 »

Swapped a 27K 2.2 for.my current 170K Elite Estate...

The catches...

No history and needed a top half respray... Dealer I sold it to sold it for £2250 as it was :-X

Hadn't been on the road for over a year.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 24 December 2015, 23:32:49 »

I don't see why people get so hung up on miles, I bought my BMW GS with 35k miles on it. I test rode others with less than 15k, mine went better, looked better and went like new.

My 151k 3.2 Elite goes better, looks better and has a better interior than those of half the mileage. TheBoy here got a 50k? 3.2 Elite, body wise underneath, mine was in far far better condition.

Even if you buy a 65k Elite, or the one you linked to, you will still need to budget for:

Cambelt
Wishbones
Drop links
Springs/Rear shocks
Cam Cover gaskets
Breathers
Plugs
All service stuff.

All same stuff as 6 figure mileage example, except you won't be paying a premium for a "low miles mint" example.  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #99 on: 24 December 2015, 23:34:36 »

People won't be told T...

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 25 December 2015, 00:06:35 »

Before buying my first 3.2 a few years ago I went to see a clean inside and out 2003 2.6 CDX with 45,000 for £1,100 but the engine had no poke, didn't sound right plus it had leaking oil around the cam covers a loud ticking sound, still on the original belt apparently etc..

Same goes for a '53' black 3.2 Elite with 75,000 with an engine with so many rattles and noises, plus the body work had a load of lacquer peel and dents, ripped seats etc.. So left them well alone!

Then shortly after I saw a 2002 51' 3.2 Elite with 188,000 at the time thought it would be a right dog but took the chance to go 200 miles to see it, yes it needed a few suspension/steering parts in need of replacing and a general service but the engine was pretty much perfect with plenty of power on demand... It's still going strong with around 202,000 now..

Basically what I'm saying is don't dismiss high mileage Omegas without giving them a try..., there is likely to be more issues with a low mileage car that hasn't been treated well or used regularly enough... over a high mileage car, after all it's likely to have been looked after to some extent to reach the high miles to begin with  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 25 December 2015, 10:23:37 »

TheBoy here got a 50k? 3.2 Elite, body wise underneath, mine was in far far better condition.
Indeed, it was sub 60k at the time (now, well into 6 digits, as its "her" car), and was not bad for its age. But yours was a minter.

For those that don't know, the 3.2 tunnie now owns, I bought from Gixer, purely for the Irmscher stuff, and intended to break the rest. However, it was, without doubt, the tidiest Omega I'd seem on the outside, even with all the bumpers removed, not a spot of rust.  Tunnie saw it (as we were using his garage as storage) and agreed it was too good to break, and bought it.  Apart from a pesky lifter, and 3.2 economy, I think tunnie loves it. And rightly so :)
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 25 December 2015, 12:31:08 »

yep, what i thought...... oil leaks etc and jobs that the owner says are easy to do but he could not be bothered to do them ! Speaks volumes as to the kind of owner he is. Like any car which is looked after all through its life the overall condition will reflect what has been done under the bonnet, most owners of cars who bother to not take it through car washes and take pride in how they look tend to do the mechanical things as well, everytime i see cars for sale with dent's in the wings etc but with the owner's blurb of '' easy fix at a bodyshop '' i would simply ignore it. Its a guarantee that the rest of the car will be neglected to the same standard but you will not see it so easily.

As an example of what can be found out there this is currently on autotrader, i know its not an Elite but it could of easily been and if this CD exists with these miles and condition then an Elite can.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201511128636484?page=4&sort=default&make=vauxhall&radius=1500&postcode=M3%204HH&search-target=usedcars&onesearchad=used&model=omega&logcode=p

Looking at the pics on the link i am always wary when the engine bay is tarted up and polished. Is it done to hide various little leaks etc.? :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Hoof'land storeman.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 25 December 2015, 19:44:45 »

I bought a similar car 2.6  03 reg  in similar condition in Jan2010 64000 mls for £3300.00.So nice car but very expensive. :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.