Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting an AR35 from Senator  (Read 20455 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Fitting an AR35 from Senator
« on: 21 July 2016, 09:49:32 »

Thanks to BigGriffin, I have sourced a brand new AR35 which was purchased some (6?) years ago to fit to a Senny. This is going on my TD to replace the, supposedly, re-furbished one that ate its thrust washer. Apart from the bell housing and torque converter, are there any other Senny only bits which will need swapping?
Also, as this box was bought from Germany at a cost of £660, this suggests that it may be older than 6 years. If so is it likely to have been fitted with the later, more robust thrust washer?
I am thinking that it may be sensible to strip and fit a Sonnax washer before fitting. :-\ :y
Any thoughts?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting an AR35 from Senator
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2016, 09:55:30 »

I have a recollection that the wiring is all different on the Senator, so probably worth keeping the internal looms and connectors from the old one. Not sure on the thrust washer, but if you've got to swap bellhousings anyway, you might as well, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2016, 09:59:55 »

Deleted due to writing piffell  ;D
« Last Edit: 21 July 2016, 10:02:32 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2016, 10:03:28 »

I know preventative maintenance is often a hugely useful thing, but surely having acquired a brand new box, you should be trouble free for a great many years to come. I completely take your logic, but I'd say fit and forget. But, it won't do any harm to fit one, of course. When I fitted brand new wishbones, I gave them an extra couple of coats of paint, no reason, other than 'why not? can't hurt'
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2016, 10:09:32 »

Those are my thoughts also, as the bellhousing has to come off anyway, its not much more to replace the thrust washer, and, I have an unwanted AR25 on which I can practice first!
 Kev, I'm trying to remember what electrickery, apart from the selector which will have to be fitted, is involved. :-\ :y I certainly will be concerned if I have re-build the internal electrics. :-\
« Last Edit: 21 July 2016, 10:11:28 by Shackeng »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2016, 10:14:18 »

From what Kevin says above, it seems that the box may be somewhat different internally. I am now getting cold feet. :-\ :-\ :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2016, 10:17:06 »

As I understood it, though annoyingly both called AR25 / AR35, the Omegas AR25/35 is slightly different (the wiring etc you mention) and fitting the one in the other is a pita... I'm assuming you've got some extra info over me with regard to fitting them? If so would perhaps be nice to see a howto appear in the future? (Not that many people finding NOS Senny gearboxes for their Omegas, but the practice in reverse may be of great use to Carlton / Senator owners) ?  :)

Edit: don't get cold feet, it's doable as far as I've heard, just requires some research and 'measure twice cut one' methodoly  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2016, 10:32:36 »

As I understood it, though annoyingly both called AR25 / AR35, the Omegas AR25/35 is slightly different (the wiring etc you mention) and fitting the one in the other is a pita... I'm assuming you've got some extra info over me with regard to fitting them? If so would perhaps be nice to see a howto appear in the future? (Not that many people finding NOS Senny gearboxes for their Omegas, but the practice in reverse may be of great use to Carlton / Senator owners) ?  :)

Edit: don't get cold feet, it's doable as far as I've heard, just requires some research and 'measure twice cut once' methodoly  :y

I agree with your last comment. The current box in my TD is an AR35, and was a direct swap for the old 25 sitting sadly under my bench. Nothing at all was required electrically, it was a straight swap, with just the bell housing and torque converter required. Box has worked OK for the 17k since fitting until acting strangely recently which turned out to be the thrust washer. Annoyingly it was sold to me as 'Refurbished 12k ago'. Hmmm, must have been a very hard 12k. >:(
I'm now wondering if even the gear ratios are likely to be the same, or are these determined by the electrickery? (Shows how much I know about auto boxes  :-[)
« Last Edit: 21 July 2016, 10:38:09 by Shackeng »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2016, 10:40:22 »

Seem to think the ratios are identical, sadly my brochures are all packed away at my parents, but have a neb at the ABS website, they have some detail info from the brochures.  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2016, 11:06:10 »

I'm now wondering if even the gear ratios are likely to be the same, or are these determined by the electrickery? (Shows how much I know about auto boxes  :-[)

Ratios are determined mechanically via the planetary gear sets, which gear you are in is determined by the solenoids 'locking' gear sets via brake bands.

This video should explain everything*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyC3dn3HJY

*It won't, it really won't, but it's very neat nonetheless. Automatic gearboxes are still magic and fairydust to me.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2016, 11:11:31 »

Seem to think the ratios are identical, sadly my brochures are all packed away at my parents, but have a neb at the ABS website, they have some detail info from the brochures.  :y

Just checked, they are the same except
Reverse: Omega=2.00:1, Senny 1.92:1

I don't see that as a problem. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2016, 11:14:29 »

Ratios are determined mechanically via the planetary gear sets, which gear you are in is determined by the solenoids 'locking' gear sets via brake bands.

This video should explain everything*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyC3dn3HJY

*It won't, it really won't, but it's very neat nonetheless. Automatic gearboxes are still magic and fairydust to me.

This is the bit that concerns me, as presumably given the different power outputs of Senny straight six vs Omega V6 this may affect speeds at which gears change. Having said that, the Ar35 in my TD appears to behave the same as the old AR25 I took out. :-\ :-\ :-\

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2016, 11:22:19 »

Just a thought.. you could give this bloke a ring and see if he can shine any light on your thoughts.
I was in there a few years ago talking to him about AR25 and solenoids and he seemed clued up on the omega box...

http://www.mechanicalworkshop.co.uk/

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2016, 11:26:44 »

This is the bit that concerns me, as presumably given the different power outputs of Senny straight six vs Omega V6 this may affect speeds at which gears change. Having said that, the Ar35 in my TD appears to behave the same as the old AR25 I took out. :-\ :-\ :-\

IIRC the speed of change is related to the hydraulic pressure routed to the brake bands via the solenoids; that should be a function of both pump and software (the solenoids are likely PWM'd).. a bigger concern would be whether the pressure applied would be enough to lock the gearset and whether the brake bands are capable of doing so..

IIRC the 24v was pretty comparable to the later V6 though in power and torque?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2016, 12:01:55 »

The shifting behaviour is all electronically controlled by signals to the solenoids, as said, and you'll be keeping the Omega's ECU, so no problems there.

What you might find is that some of the connectors and wiring are different. You'll have everything you need on the old box and I'd imagine it'll swap straight over. All I'm reporting is heresay, however, so please don't take it as gospel. Autobahnstormers would probably be the place to ask for definitive information. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.