Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting an AR35 from Senator  (Read 20434 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting an AR35 from Senator
« Reply #30 on: 21 July 2016, 22:31:05 »

I believe the dipstick was deleted for the Omega because it wouldn't physically fit the car ?  :-\
It will be interesting to see where that is. :y

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 July 2016, 22:36:36 »

Thanks to BigGriffin, I have sourced a brand new AR35 which was purchased some (6?) years ago to fit to a Senny. This is going on my TD to replace the, supposedly, re-furbished one that ate its thrust washer. Apart from the bell housing and torque converter, are there any other Senny only bits which will need swapping?
Also, as this box was bought from Germany at a cost of £660, this suggests that it may be older than 6 years. If so is it likely to have been fitted with the later, more robust thrust washer?
I am thinking that it may be sensible to strip and fit a Sonnax washer before fitting. :-\ :y
Any thoughts?

They are hard to get now - I couldn't in a time frame that suited when I overhauled my last box so just fitted a new plastic one. They last 100K miles so unless you are really committed to Omegas should not be an issue. I am not sure I would want to open a 'factory sealed' box anyway - you might just introduce FOD / cause issues.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 July 2016, 07:03:35 »

I believe the dipstick was deleted for the Omega because it wouldn't physically fit the car ?  :-\

There's still plenty of omegas' with dipsticks, they just happen to be driving(aiming) them. ;D  ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22 July 2016, 08:05:39 »

More likely to save a couple of quid and to enforce the idea that the gearbox is sealed for life.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 July 2016, 08:53:10 »

Thanks to BigGriffin, I have sourced a brand new AR35 which was purchased some (6?) years ago to fit to a Senny. This is going on my TD to replace the, supposedly, re-furbished one that ate its thrust washer. Apart from the bell housing and torque converter, are there any other Senny only bits which will need swapping?
Also, as this box was bought from Germany at a cost of £660, this suggests that it may be older than 6 years. If so is it likely to have been fitted with the later, more robust thrust washer?
I am thinking that it may be sensible to strip and fit a Sonnax washer before fitting. :-\ :y
Any thoughts?

They are hard to get now - I couldn't in a time frame that suited when I overhauled my last box so just fitted a new plastic one. They last 100K miles so unless you are really committed to Omegas should not be an issue. I am not sure I would want to open a 'factory sealed' box anyway - you might just introduce FOD / cause issues.
JPAT have them. I got mine by return. :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22 July 2016, 09:39:27 »

More likely to save a couple of quid and to enforce the idea that the gearbox is sealed for life.

Could be. Which would be a bonus for the op as it would give the option of checking ATF without faffing around under the car.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22 July 2016, 09:54:14 »

Given where the gearbox dipstick sat on the senator, there is no way it will work with a V6 in there.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 July 2016, 12:38:48 »

Given where the gearbox dipstick sat on the senator, there is no way it will work with a V6 in there.
Believe Shackeng is putting this box in the 2.5tdi... straight six too...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 July 2016, 20:38:58 »

Believe Shackeng is putting this box in the 2.5tdi... straight six too...

Correct, 2.5TD :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 July 2016, 19:38:17 »

Whereabouts is the dipstick on the Senny box?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 July 2016, 19:51:58 »

From memory- drivers side, comes from half way along the box bends up to finish under the windscreen scuttle.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 July 2016, 19:57:24 »

From memory- drivers side, comes from half way along the box bends up to finish under the windscreen scuttle.

Ah one of those American style ones about 3' long. :-\   I shall find out tomorrow when I pick up the box. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 July 2016, 22:21:12 »

Well picked it up today. Definitely brand new, but does not have AR35 on the plate, it has a GM number 90399204. It looks identical except for a few extras, dipstick tube, a gear selector shaft on both sides of the box, and what looks like a speedo pickup just in front of the propshaft connector plate. I'll try to post some pics in the next day or so. :y
It would be really cool if I could use the dipstick, I'll have a look underneath to see if its possible. :-\
Oh and I also got a brand new ECU thrown in. Bosch with the number 96 041 130. Not sure about that, but I presume it is correct for the Senator. :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25 July 2016, 16:15:30 »

ID plate

Dipstick tube and what appears to be a selector shaft on the RH side of box.

Is this the speedo cable connection on a Senny?

Nice new box.

ECU that came with it. Can anyone help with positive identification of this?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 July 2016, 16:40:43 »

It would be nice to use the dipstick, but I doubt it will be practicable, and there is no obvious way to fill this box as the sump has no level plug, only a drain plug.... which would be handy if there was a level plug! Therefore I will swap the sump from mine. I presume the Senny had a filler point in the ATF cooler pipes or similar, or used the dipstick tube which has an 'o' ring seal on the outside end, so another sealed pipe connects to it. :-\
If space is available for fitting to the car with the tube still attached, I could leave it in place with the existing transit plug on the end, however, if that is not an option, I would hope to remove it without damaging the mounting hole. :-\
Ideally I would then tap the hole and fit a screw plug, unfortunately, this is liable to introduce aluminium swarf into the front sump. :-\ I could remove the sump before tapping, and hope to catch any swarf, as the dipstick presumably appears in a clear area of the sump. Does anyone have any good ideas as to how else to plug this hole?  :-\ :-\ :-\
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.