Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the differences between the Omega B1 and B2? Are they only cosmetic?  (Read 32203 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Yes, its subtle, hence why I posted an easy to tell PFL/MFL Head Rest post.

What' does the picture tell you looking at the Head Rests.
Mid Facelift, launched in Q3 '97, '98 model year hence the seemingly vague response ;)

Details will be both inside and out, but obvious front end highlight is the clear headlight lenses. Earlier ones are visibly more traditional  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Things like headlights and seats may have gotten changed by owners in the past, so definitively, from VIN:

Last letter of VIN = R, S, T or V - PFL - these have hollow headrests, ribbed headlights and no side airbags
Last letter of VIN = W or X - MFL - these have solid headrests, clear headlights and side airbags

FL's are easy enough to spot by the different cabin.

Primary safety features that came in with MFL include side airbags (fitted across VX and Opel Omega range) and a more advanced, 4 channel, ABS ECU and better traction control on V6 models. FL improved on this with active front head restraints, and a child seat option for disabling front passenger airbag.
Grumpy old man

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Things like headlights and seats may have gotten changed by owners in the past, so definitively, from VIN:

Last letter of VIN = R, S, T or V - PFL - these have hollow headrests, ribbed headlights and no side airbags
Last letter of VIN = W or X - MFL - these have solid headrests, clear headlights and side airbags

FL's are easy enough to spot by the different cabin.

Primary safety features that came in with MFL include side airbags (fitted across VX and Opel Omega range) and a more advanced, 4 channel, ABS ECU and better traction control on V6 models. FL improved on this with active front head restraints, and a child seat option for disabling front passenger airbag.

Did the MFL cars already come with the better corrosion protection of the FL cars? I read that the PFL cars are barely any better than the Carltons when it comes to rust.

Thanks for the VIN info. That's a very useful tip.  :)

Would you know if it applies for the Opel range as well?

Yes, I agree that looking at headlights is useless, which is why I'm not. If you google Omegas, most cars clearly have more modern headlights with clear lenses. I think it's probably the most common mod. So going by headlights is not useful.

But you bring up an interesting point about the seats. It's entirely possible. I just read people suggesting changing seats on another thread here. So probably not a good idea to use the head rests to id the cars either.

The solid way is using the VIN.  :y

Thanks for that.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

I think the better corrosion resistance came in FL. At the age of cars you're looking at you could as easily find a 'mint' 1994 car, or a rusty-as-hell 2003 car. It's all down to how it's been looked after/stored. My 'rusty' 1996 PFL has FL doors, and pretty decent back arches/sills, and I've seen far rustier FLs.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

Thinking cap on... 'definitive' way of determining if the car you're looking at is a PFL or MFL - has it an adjustable steering column or not? This came in on MFL. Everything else 'costmetic' I can think of could be feasibly changed with relative ease, seats, headlamps, alloys, stereo head units. Interior colours can be helpful, but not conclusive. But the likelihood of someone changing steering columns, although doable, is pretty remote.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

I agree. I doubt somebody would go through the trouble of exchanging a steering column just to get an adjustable steering column system.

And if the VIN tip TheBoy suggested also applies to the Opel range, I think these two things give me a good solid way to tell the cars apart.  :y

You also have a good point about the corrosion. As better as the FL protection may be, if neglected both PFL and FL would be rusty anyway.

So I have decided what I will go for.

I will strive to find as late a MFL car as I can in 3.0 manual with as low mileage and in as good condition as I can.

I just like the design so much more. It makes no sense to buy an early FL (remember I need a 3.0 manual) to change the looks back to PFL, just so I get pretty much the same features. A 2002-2003 FL would get me meaningful extras such as the ESP. But as far as I can tell, an 2000 FL gets me basically nothing meaningful over the MFL. And I like the PFL cars so much more. Externally and internally.

So I'm going with the MFL.  ;)

I think the Opel designers were inspired when they designed the B1 (PFL) as it looks like nothing else. With the B2 FL I think corporate thoughts took over because it looks very much like other Opel products of the time, specially the Astra G.

But the PFL car has a look of it's own and looks great.

BUT! If while searching I come across a late FL 2002-2003 in 2.6 Manual for the right price and in great, great condition, I would go for that. The goal is a MFL. But I will not pass a 2002-2003 FL which has everything right and for a very good price. ;)

I'm willing to sacrifice power and going with the V6 2.6 manual instead of a 3.2 just to get ESP. But it needs to be the right car and the right price.

So this is the plan! :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

Sounds good, and I agree with you on your points, too. The aesthetics were completely of their 'own' and it was a fine looker in its day, and underrated today. Keep us updated. Be nice to see what's actually available on the European mainland, too.  :)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Sounds good, and I agree with you on your points, too. The aesthetics were completely of their 'own' and it was a fine looker in its day, and underrated today. Keep us updated. Be nice to see what's actually available on the European mainland, too.  :)

I think it's a fine looker today too. And in my opinion it was always underrated. But I think we are better discussing this somewhere else. So I started a new thread about the Omega PFL's design.  ;)

I think this thread has ran its course. I have now made an educated decision, thanks to the information I got here. I have a lot which I would like to discuss with other Omega fans in the forums. But this is better done elsewhere. This thread has gotten long enough and it's better to to bring it further off topic.

Thanks everybody who contributed to the thread. :y

I invite everybody to join in on the new thread: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=137838.0

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile

Hi anV6

Buy a welding unit and learn how to use it. This way you will solve most Omega problems!

Rolf
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Hi anV6

Buy a welding unit and learn how to use it. This way you will solve most Omega problems!

Rolf

I already have one and know how to use it. But to be honest I'm not too worried. If I am to go by one of my cars, which is a 15 years old Opel with basically no meaningful rust, I will be fine. I would be a lot more worried if it was a Carlton.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.