Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT question  (Read 1528 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
MOT question
« on: 01 November 2018, 11:09:36 »

The Omegas M.o.T. is due this month,while it's not covered many miles since last year so I'm reasonably confident about it there is one issue it has that I'm unsure of.More often than not the speedo and rev counter don't work but everything else-fuel and temp gauges,warning lights and mileometer[including trip meter]-continues to work as they should.Question is if the speedo/rev counter don't work at the time of the test is this a fail?Tried re-seating dash to no avail,maybe spray connections with contact cleaner and see if that works?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: MOT question
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2018, 11:20:35 »

Fail. But it may go unnoticed
RIP Paul Lovejoy

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2018, 11:22:14 »

Not being negative but usual issues with Speedo and rev counter are abs pump module but worth removing clock cluster and giving contacts anc spray with switch cleaner of similar as a first point .

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2018, 11:26:00 »

Thought it might be a fail-but hoped it wasn't-can't see them not noticing as they use the rev counter for emissions test don't they?ABS pump module sounds costly and if that's the case probably write the car off.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2018, 11:34:15 »

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2018, 11:41:47 »

IIRC the speedo is a fail item, but quite likely they won't notice it unless they drive it. Rev counter is not required. Their emissions tester should include a probe to pick up RPM if it's required for a test, but it doesn't have to be exact in any case.

The ABS issue only affects the speedo, so it sounds more likely to be an issue with the instrument panel, IMHO. First check there is to ensure it's firmly seated in the dash, because otherwise the connections to it can become intermittent.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2018, 11:45:45 »

I seem to remember someone saying there are multi plugs at the side of the battery that can cause dash/speedo faults if not plugged in / good contact  :-\
worth a look  :)
you have been spannering there  :D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2018, 11:46:16 »

IIRC the speedo is a fail item, but quite likely they won't notice it unless they drive it. Rev counter is not required. Their emissions tester should include a probe to pick up RPM if it's required for a test, but it doesn't have to be exact in any case.

The ABS issue only affects the speedo, so it sounds more likely to be an issue with the instrument panel, IMHO. First check there is to ensure it's firmly seated in the dash, because otherwise the connections to it can become intermittent.

As Kevin says very unlikely to be noticed on test especially as milage will have changed from last test
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2018, 18:12:05 »

Did check the multi plugs near battery some while ago[think it was DG who suggested this]and they seemed ok to me but will check again and spray with contact cleaner.Will also remove clocks and spray contacts with contact cleaner and see how I go from there.If no joy i'll take it for test and see what the outcome of that is before spending further money on it.A little more information which may or may not help,when not working the rev counter needle still "flutters" against the stop and on a couple of occasions when they have been working when I've turned the engine off the rev counter needle has stayed indicating tick over revs until I've turned the ignition back on when it's then dropped to its stop.

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2018, 10:05:08 »

Had the same fault on a friend's car .. we left the centre screw out that holds the clocks in and that fixed it (been like that for several years now! ;D)..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.