Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Scotland introducing 20p refund scheme  (Read 6557 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland introducing 20p refund scheme
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2019, 20:02:19 »

Written by someone who has clearly never done a store delivwry ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2019, 20:05:57 »

Written by someone who has clearly never done a store delivwry ;D

Please explain ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2019, 20:45:18 »

and not be held up with loading empties
;D ;D ;D...   ;D ;D ;D

Empty bottles perhaps not, but empty roll cages and totes and pallets and recycling and returns... And that's whilst working around the remaining deliveries and keeping the load balanced  ::)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2019, 20:51:29 »

He initially charges £1 per bottle-obviously then 90p per bottle with the 10p refund.Bottles a 1 litre size.Living in a time warp? yes but do remember it's Scunny we're talking about here.The latest people carrier of the year award was won by to the Ox cart :D ;D ;D ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2019, 21:02:37 »

Use to go round the back of the off-sales at the pub, grab half a dozen lemonade bottles, take them to the pub down the high st, then buy sweets and more pop from that off sales.  Eventually they all got to know, and that scheme ended for us.
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 May 2019, 21:15:04 »

You're all a bunch of bloody crims!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 May 2019, 21:20:02 »

and not be held up with loading empties
;D ;D ;D...   ;D ;D ;D

Empty bottles perhaps not, but empty roll cages and totes and pallets and recycling and returns... And that's whilst working around the remaining deliveries and keeping the load balanced  ::)

Why are you making fun of that? ::) ::) ::)

You are the one speaking without knowledge.  Believe me the handling of the cages and pallets being returned, even when loaded with returned product or recycling material is nothing and does not take long at all.  Even with a full 20 cage and pallet delivery it takes 15 minutes with experienced warehouse staff, to take it all in, and send back the returns. They roll off and on, with pallet pump trucks moving the pallets stacked high. 

The handling of crates of glass bottles, running into thousands for a fair sized store, would however take a lot of extra handling, and as they would have a value, require checking. I remember when a dozen medium sized (Corona, R.Whites, and the like) would be packed in a plastic crate, and even stacked 5 high would be awkward to shift, usually on a sack truck.  Now, if 2ltr glass bottles were transported, away from their original factory packaging, in the thousands that a store could take in from customers returning in the quantities they now buy them in (totally different than the 1960's), then it will take extra storage space in stores that do not have that now, extra manpower to handle them, and conceivably, a separate truck to transport them away from the store back to a CDC (who would then have all the handling and storage issues repeated).  Even if the drinks producer has a truck specially to take the returns back from the store, there would be still the extra storage, handling and transport costs.  For the producer taking back the empties, they would have to have new plant to wash, inspect, and re-commission those before being re-used.

All the way along the line extra handling costs, plus all the others, would be involved.  The only answer to that would be to smash the return bottles when they come back into store (like the cans returned are planned to be crushed), but then industry has the problem of handling even more recycled glass, with all the extra transport and plant costs.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 May 2019, 21:23:39 »

He initially charges £1 per bottle-obviously then 90p per bottle with the 10p refund.Bottles a 1 litre size.Living in a time warp? yes but do remember it's Scunny we're talking about here.The latest people carrier of the year award was won by to the Ox cart :D ;D ;D ;D

That sounds like a good deal and service to me, being delivered to your door with no plastic waste.  Perhaps it is going back in time that we need to do, but is the current average, something for nothing, always the cheapest, member of the public prepared to pay more for less? ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 May 2019, 21:26:12 »

OK LZ... When did you last work in either a warehouse or a delivery lorry?

And I don't mean as a manager...

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 May 2019, 21:35:21 »

OK LZ... When did you last work in either a warehouse or a delivery lorry?

And I don't mean as a manager...

12 years ago, and as a senior manager travelling around multiple stores I witnessed the latest methods of deliveries from CDC's and direct from suppliers, and taking note of security, staffing and H&S issues apart from general operational matters.

Before all that, going back almost 40 years, I started on the shop floor and experienced all the relevant requirements of handling supplier deliveries before having a career in Operations that meant dealing with managerial short comings in stock receipt and returns ; mainly of a security nature to restrict massive risks of theft.
Now DG, when did you last work in the retail field within a national store network? ;)
« Last Edit: 08 May 2019, 21:42:52 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 May 2019, 21:40:22 »

January this year.  :P but I digress...

So you've never actually had to experience the delights of personally loading 100+ stacked cages onto a truck using a tail lift?
Or off loading 5-600kg cages three at a time on a tail lift? In the rain...

Oh, and 12 years ago is not recent ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 May 2019, 22:07:13 »

January this year.  :P but I digress...

So you've never actually had to experience the delights of personally loading 100+ stacked cages onto a truck using a tail lift?
Or off loading 5-600kg cages three at a time on a tail lift? In the rain...

Oh, and 12 years ago is not recent ;)

I have explained my extensive experience, but still you rabbit on about the hard work of loading an articulated lorry. I have explained that UNLOADING an artic of 20 pallets, sometimes it was the maximum 22, is not a problem for experienced warehouse staff, with the aid of a good driver.  Yes, pushing on stacked cages (for H&S reasons you are talking 'dangle berries' about loading 100+ at one time onto a 44 tonner, although I suspect you said that for effect rather than reality).

Obviously, unlike you, I am a retired senior business manager and have not needed to unload or unload any truck for many years.  What I was explaining in my previous piece was the retail technicalities of handling thousands of returning glass pop bottles. My 40 years experience, even if it professionally ended with retirement 12 years ago, although that or 1 year ago would make no difference. Dealing with CDC consignments and those direct from suppliers have not changed.

But of course, in typical DG fashion, you try and pick holes in something I post, this time in a field I know very well, with cynicism. I was expressing my beliefs, as everyone else on the OOF does.  Just live with it, and stop this age old cynical attack you mount every time I state what I believe.

Why you do it, I do not know or care. Go and be cynical with the men on here! >:(
« Last Edit: 08 May 2019, 22:10:33 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 May 2019, 22:13:26 »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 May 2019, 22:19:41 »

Lizzie & DG   ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

I remember that sketch well, and it is as funny now as it was then.  Good that you found it again Dave ;D :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2019, 22:55:31 »

I laughed at a comment you made. You asked me what was so funny and I explained.

You then got all pissy with me because I asked when you last actually delivered anything.  ;D

Empty cages stack together, ergo a truck that can take 30-40 loaded cages will carry substantially more empty ones. Had you ever handled them, you would know that. But all your experience appears to be in management and as everyone on the floor will tell you, managers never ask the staff what works and what doesn't.  ::)

We had two hydraulic loading docks, which would hold either 6 cages or three full size pallets (you could fit four on but would then have to climb over the railing to operate it and access the truck).

Everything loaded onto the truck was then off loaded via the tail lift which had capacity to carry three cages or two full sized pallets, (without space for the pump truck).

On a good day, each truck had a pump truck and the warehouse had three and each loading bay had three. On a bad day, you were lucky if there was one either end... Rest assured, unloading using a single pump truck takes alot longer... Especially when you are folding and unfolding the safety flaps every time.

And modern staffing practices dictate that you work out how many staff are required, then automatically reduce this by 10%. Then employ 20% fewer staff than that and expect everything to be done to a stupidly high corporate standard. Which was set by a manager who had never done the job in question. And because everywhere is run on minimal staffing levels, the driver has to load and unload the truck, whilst justifying why it takes so long.

Well, you asked...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.