Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drain torque converter  (Read 2171 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Drain torque converter
« on: 04 July 2018, 07:39:23 »

I am thinking of changing box oil soon and reading the guide seen that only 5 litres got removed from a possible 8. Does tc also have a drain plug? Don't see point in leaving 3 litres of old oil in there.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Drain torque converter
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2018, 08:20:47 »

You can't drain the converter separately. That means you have to do the entire drain and refill procedure two or three times to replace all of the fluid. This is such a pain that nobody bothers to actually do it. Or to change the fluid early/often enough for it to do any good. This is a major downside of 'sealed for life' assemblies.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2018, 09:25:30 »

how much auto box fluid is in the cooler rad and lines ?
is it worth draining ?
do you disconnect both lines and let it drain out or will it just drain with the sumps removed anyway
i have to do mine soon
TIA  :)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2018, 10:34:32 »

how much auto box fluid is in the cooler rad and lines ?
is it worth draining ?
do you disconnect both lines and let it drain out or will it just drain with the sumps removed anyway
i have to do mine soon
TIA  :)

Pop off the bottom pipe to drain it, check guide under maintenance guide/index which details the pipe removal

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2018, 11:41:51 »

Both sumps off, blow cooler thro, about 8L of dex3,

Easiest way to refill is use a fence sprayer.
Hoof'land storeman.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2018, 13:23:25 »

And if you add a drain plug to the main sump it means you can drain and replace (more) of the old fluid a few times.rather than removing/refitting sump.. I did mine 5 times ,each a day apart .first fluid out was much darker .last drain was virtually as light red as the new stuff going in !

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2018, 16:07:16 »

Pretty much all automatic gearboxes are the same and I've never seen one where you can drain the torque converter. If you hold a TC in your hand it becomes pretty clear why that's the case.

About the best thing you can do is replace the fluid you can get to, then flush the transmission with clean fluid via the fluid cooler lines. I have a theory that the AR35 returns fluid from the TC via the cooler lines. If/when I CBA to change my fluid I might test that theory. ;D

On the other hand, a partial fluid change is better than nothing, and it's the best any autobox gets, even if it's not declared to be "sealed for life".
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2018, 17:15:07 »

And if you add a drain plug to the main sump it means you can drain and replace (more) of the old fluid a few times.rather than removing/refitting sump.. I did mine 5 times ,each a day apart .first fluid out was much darker .last drain was virtually as light red as the new stuff going in !

If you can find a Carlton in a scrappers with an auto box, they have a drain plug fitted. :y
Same basic box as Omega, just slight variations like operating shaft is on the right. So just nick the sump. :y
« Last Edit: 04 July 2018, 17:16:45 by Shackeng »

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2018, 20:26:12 »

If you can find a Carlton in a scrappers with an auto box, they have a drain plug fitted. :y
Same basic box as Omega, just slight variations like operating shaft is on the right. So just nick the sump. :y

Good luck with finding that. 

I'm sure I could weld a plug into the sump, or find a suitable fitting to seal a drilled hole (so no distortion) .  I shall give it some thought.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2018, 21:05:52 »

Support  the TC over a bucket nose facing down and leave 48 hrs.

The amount of fluid will surprise you.

Clearly not worth doing just for a fluid change though. Just drain the stumps, refill, and do it again 1000 miles later :y

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2018, 07:51:48 »

Pretty much all automatic gearboxes are the same and I've never seen one where you can drain the torque converter. If you hold a TC in your hand it becomes pretty clear why that's the case.

About the best thing you can do is replace the fluid you can get to, then flush the transmission with clean fluid via the fluid cooler lines. I have a theory that the AR35 returns fluid from the TC via the cooler lines. If/when I CBA to change my fluid I might test that theory. ;D

On the other hand, a partial fluid change is better than nothing, and it's the best any autobox gets, even if it's not declared to be "sealed for life".

There is a drain plug on my mk2 Grenada for tc.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2018, 17:54:59 »

Good luck with finding that. 

I'm sure I could weld a plug into the sump, or find a suitable fitting to seal a drilled hole (so no distortion) .  I shall give it some thought.
Easiest way is to drill a 8.5mm hole and spot weld an upside down m8 castellated nut inside sump.then just fit a short bolt with a copper washer. ( or other sizes if wished !)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2018, 16:18:20 »

Some older Mercs have a drain plug for the converter,my old E124 did :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.