Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lowering Omega Elite are rear  (Read 1695 times)

Omega Elite

• Donegal
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
Lowering Omega Elite are rear
« on: 18 May 2019, 22:42:36 »

What is the best way to lower my Omega at the rear. It had the air shocks which makes is sit very high. I want to keep these shocks in as they are so comfortable. I read somewhere before about bending the level rod attached to the O/S wishbone, but I can't remember which way. Anyone?

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Lowering Omega Elite are rear
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2019, 23:32:57 »

The self levelling for the rear is on the right hand side of the rear axle, not the wishbone.  :y  You can pop the arm off the ball to experiment with heights, but I wonder why it's not going to the correct height.  :-\
I can remember posting the floor to wheel arch measurement a while back but can't recall offhand what it should be.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2019, 01:51:06 »

From my own experience, using original VX self levelling springs should put the ride height at the correct level. I have fitted aftermarket 'one spring fits all' in lieu of originals previously, only to find the back end is jacked up too high. Refitting genuine springs brought the level down to what it should be. I currently have a 2.6 Elite with S/L shocks, but it has Suplex rear springs which are listed for vehicles with ride control, but it isn't right  - its too high at the back.
As the Elite springs are softer and this is compensated for by the S/L shocks doing more work to maintain the ride height than standard shocks, fitting 'standard' springs which are firmer means they don't compress as much and therefore sit higher. S/L shocks are good for bringing the back end up with a load on it, but won't bring it down if the springs are too firm.
To get the same right height, a firmer spring has to be shorter in length - this applies to any car, not just Omegas.
Original VX springs are progressively wound, and the pigtail is thinner than the main body of the spring to give the 'softer ride. Many aftermarket springs have the coils of the same thickness throughout, which means they are firmer and don't compress the same under load which jacks the rear end up. This is also probably one reason why Elite springs are prone to breaking on the first coil of the pigtail where the coil is thinnest.
Others may disagree - just my experiences if it helps.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Omega Elite

• Donegal
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2019, 01:31:48 »

I swapped out the original elite springs for mv6 ones but this had left it higher than the elite ones. Any other ideas on getting the rear down.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2019, 09:26:53 »

From my own experience, using original VX self levelling springs should put the ride height at the correct level. I have fitted aftermarket 'one spring fits all' in lieu of originals previously, only to find the back end is jacked up too high. Refitting genuine springs brought the level down to what it should be. I currently have a 2.6 Elite with S/L shocks, but it has Suplex rear springs which are listed for vehicles with ride control, but it isn't right  - its too high at the back.
As the Elite springs are softer and this is compensated for by the S/L shocks doing more work to maintain the ride height than standard shocks, fitting 'standard' springs which are firmer means they don't compress as much and therefore sit higher. S/L shocks are good for bringing the back end up with a load on it, but won't bring it down if the springs are too firm.
To get the same right height, a firmer spring has to be shorter in length - this applies to any car, not just Omegas.
Original VX springs are progressively wound, and the pigtail is thinner than the main body of the spring to give the 'softer ride. Many aftermarket springs have the coils of the same thickness throughout, which means they are firmer and don't compress the same under load which jacks the rear end up. This is also probably one reason why Elite springs are prone to breaking on the first coil of the pigtail where the coil is thinnest.
Others may disagree - just my experiences if it helps.

I swapped out the original elite springs for mv6 ones but this had left it higher than the elite ones. Any other ideas on getting the rear down.

Refit original Elite S/L springs?.....? You answered your own question really......
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2019, 09:55:27 »

The self levelling for the rear is on the right hand side of the rear axle, not the wishbone.  :y  You can pop the arm off the ball to experiment with heights, but I wonder why it's not going to the correct height.  :-\

I suggested this to see if it would actually go any lower. You don't need to bend anything to try this, just pop the link off the ball on the rear axle and lower it manually with the ignition on to see if it will go lower. I'm running a 3.2 Elite Estate with standard rear springs and my self levelling still works fine. My ride height remains the same, all that happens is that when the car is loaded, it returns to its correct ride height instead of being sat on its arse.
Is yours a Saloon or estate?

Omega Elite

• Donegal
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2019, 23:21:13 »

I can remember posting the floor to wheel arch measurement a while back but can't recall offhand what it should be.  ::)

The Omega doesn't have a rear axle. It uses independent rear suspension. So which wishbone does it connect to?. It is going to the correct ride height but I want to down to the same as the front.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2019, 07:51:09 »

I was referring to the arm by the rear diff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.