Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: where is egr dti  (Read 3823 times)

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • Vauxhall omega 2.2dti est
    • View Profile
where is egr dti
« on: 24 June 2014, 18:43:53 »

Just been told a really easy thing to check for my starting issues is to check egr isn't stuck open. Apparently it's under a cover and will see it. But I've no idea where it is. Any assistance please

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
Re: where is egr dti
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2014, 19:02:34 »

Passenger side on top of engine manifold, round black thing with pipe coming off it, two bolts.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeWTDiJdHlIuZjZpqDNHvloCpoReKUArzrV_Ep3IrXya884jp3

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2014, 19:26:49 »

Ta muchly  :)

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2014, 19:55:18 »

Hmm that's not what I was expecting. Thought there'd be a lever I could push if it's sticking open

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2014, 20:00:05 »

Hmm that's not what I was expecting. Thought there'd be a lever I could push if it's sticking open
Nope, vac operated, usually pretty gummed up.

However, if you're getting P0400 EGR errors, its rarely the EGR on these ;)
Grumpy old man

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2014, 21:53:15 »

On indication I've got is it's terrible at starting when cold. Turns over and over before eventually catches a few times then fires. It's worse if it's a hot day and been parked in the sun all day. White smoke out the back when it does start. Unburnt fuel. It killed battery last week and had no leads so got recovery out. He plugged in diagnostics while there, no faults showing at all. Saw a YouTube video of a car starting from cold with egr stuck open (zafira 2.2dti) and started exactly the same as mine

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2014, 22:58:54 »

You can start by clening the EGR valve as it costs not a bean to do, but i bet you have an air leak in the fuel system at the end of the day. Reason it is worse on a hot day, (and don't shoot me down for this) metal on engine is at higher temp so gap/leak is bigger but when engine is cold (cold day) gap is small so engine starts better/quicker, on my DTI at the moment it's the 'o' ring on the injector that has gone so i burn oil on start up, but as soon as engine warm it does not burn oil :y

Do you have more problems when car is parked with nose/front up hill?

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2014, 00:00:03 »

No hills make no difference. Also it is temperature of day specific, not just because end of day. I work away and it's sat anywhere between 1 day and 5 days. I know that if it's over 19 degrees, I'm going to have issues. It's also picky if conditions are favourable, but if I start it, drive it 50 yards, turn it off (need keys to lock yard gates) the start out again. It's no where near as bad but still doesn't want to. Once engine at operating temperature it starts Bob on whether left 30 seconds or 2 hours

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2014, 00:11:58 »

No hills make no difference. Also it is temperature of day specific, not just because end of day. I work away and it's sat anywhere between 1 day and 5 days. I know that if it's over 19 degrees, I'm going to have issues. It's also picky if conditions are favourable, but if I start it, drive it 50 yards, turn it off (need keys to lock yard gates) the start out again. It's no where near as bad but still doesn't want to. Once engine at operating temperature it starts Bob on whether left 30 seconds or 2 hours

OK :-\ Yes start with EGR, but it will have a lot of carbon on it anyway so give it a good clean off with Gunk or the like and pop it back in, it will only take 5-10 min to do, then see what it like and get back to us :y

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=124482.msg1585722#msg1585722

Did you look at the link i put on the above :y
« Last Edit: 25 June 2014, 00:20:43 by joff »

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2014, 00:37:04 »

I did yeah. I enquired with garage on cost of them cleaning egr and intake manifold, apparently its a b***h of a job (the manifold) and depending on how gunked it is, it could be upto £150 depending on time which is too much for a maybe. Especially as I may have to be selling soon for a 7 seater :(

I'll give egr a clean first when I get chance and see how it goes. I take it is just take plastic cover off rocker cover, pull off vacuum pipe, then into the weird opposite torx bolts? (Sorry for poor terminology)

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2014, 01:50:21 »

I did yeah. I enquired with garage on cost of them cleaning egr and intake manifold, apparently its a b***h of a job (the manifold) and depending on how gunked it is, it could be upto £150 depending on time which is too much for a maybe. Especially as I may have to be selling soon for a 7 seater :(

I'll give egr a clean first when I get chance and see how it goes. I take it is just take plastic cover off rocker cover, pull off vacuum pipe, then into the weird opposite torx bolts? (Sorry for poor terminology)

Yep, that's about it. You could do the inlet manifold yourself :-\ depends how good you are with the spanners. Shame your not closer or i would do it for you. If you need any more info just post it up :y

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2014, 09:02:11 »

I've done worse jobs before but don't quite trust myself to do it. I would if it didn't matter if goes a little wrong (did a 96 Micra clutch on that basis a few years ago). But I'll get the egr done. Does it need a fresh gasket or anything?

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2014, 17:10:02 »

Had a revelation. Today i parked car on the banks on edge of car park. Tank nearly higher than engine. 18.5 degrees when I started it and it started perfectly. Think I've got a primer bulb or 2 at home so I'll pop one on fuel feed before the filter to see if it makes it any better

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2014, 19:39:22 »

I've done worse jobs before but don't quite trust myself to do it. I would if it didn't matter if goes a little wrong (did a 96 Micra clutch on that basis a few years ago). But I'll get the egr done. Does it need a fresh gasket or anything?

nope, just a good clean, there is an "o" ring on it you can check that :y

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2014, 21:00:40 »

Right. Update. I dug out a random primer bulb from the toolbox, gave it a good clean, opened bonnet and traced fuel lines. Wasn't sure if before or after filter is best, but access to pipes pretty much decided after. Then looking at the pipes, they're more plastic than rubber (rubbery plasticy if you will) I'm sure DTI owners know what I mean. Anyway, I got cold feet thinking there's chance the pipe may be a different size than primer connections, but I wouldn't know till after cutting it. If didn't fit, too late and I'm not getting to work tomorrow. So the primer bulb is on the sidelines for now.

I've took out the egr (8mm socket works a treat on those daft bolts!) And scraped the black crud off r plunger and checked it moves freely, which it does. In assuming it's OK. I don't know how much resistance it should give but it's not sticking it's a smooth movement so I think OK. Couple of pictures...

[/URL[URL=http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/jamesastra/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140625_191822_zpsceuutbik.jpg.html]

I was also thinking, if i take the vacuum pipe off, will it not stay closed, therefore effectively no egr? I know clutching at straws but you know.....

Anyway, in lieu of the primer bulb I've got a little experiment to see if injector seals are causing the problem.

[/URL[URL=http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/jamesastra/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140625_204211_zpsyxzhsml3.jpg.html]

Let's see how well it starts in the morning.....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.