Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Omega had died!  (Read 2366 times)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
My Omega had died!
« on: 13 September 2014, 00:46:43 »

Well at least transiently. Ran out of LPG around half a mile from the pump, switched over to petrol (1/4 tank), spluttered, misfired and then died. Filled up with petrol and gas. Cranks, but does not start on petrol. Forced start on LPG, and she fires up and runs.

Now I have to sort out this mess before Monday and then drive 250 miles down the M1.

What a pain. What do you think? Fuel pump blocked due to a lowish fuel level(crud) or just plain dead? Have a misfire code on cylinder 1 and a pre-cat error code. I cannot imagine the misfire will prevent the engine from starting up at all.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

chrisgixer

Re: My Omega had died!
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2014, 01:16:00 »

What are the exact codes?

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2014, 01:23:59 »

0301 and 0420. At least thats what I think it was. I was a bit cold and miserable and had a cranky child to contend with. Will re-check in the morning.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2014, 02:18:15 »

Could be stale fuel... When did you last put petrol in it?

Also, has it had a crank sensor yet? Rarely shows a code...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2014, 08:50:50 »

Do you have the facility to check the trims - in case LPG has thrown the trims way off to make them invalid for hot petrol running.
Grumpy old man

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: My Omega has died!
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2014, 19:20:10 »

Unlikely to be stale fuel. Last filled up about 6-8 weeks ago. Plus I have topped up to half a tank again.

No chance of looking at trims.

Crank sensor is original I guess. No mention of it being changed in the past records. But would crank sensor fault allow running on LPG? Would it not affect that as well?

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2014, 20:31:59 »

Unlikely to be stale fuel. Last filled up about 6-8 weeks ago. Plus I have topped up to half a tank again.

Crank sensor is original I guess. No mention of it being changed in the past records. But would crank sensor fault allow running on LPG? Would it not affect that as well?
I think, the crank sensor only switches on the fuel pump once the engine is running. Starting is done using residual pressure in the fuel rail whereas lpg is supplied as long as there is fuel (pressure) in the tank and both cut off valves are open.

If either the fuel pump or the crank sensor are playing up, it will never start on petrol...

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2014, 21:25:18 »

And how do I differentiate? Which reminds me I need to check the relay as well.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2014, 21:39:24 »

I think, the crank sensor only switches on the fuel pump once the engine is running. Starting is done using residual pressure in the fuel rail whereas lpg is supplied as long as there is fuel (pressure) in the tank and both cut off valves are open.

If either the fuel pump or the crank sensor are playing up, it will never start on petrol...
Nah.

A failed crank sensor is a failed crank sensor, the petrol injectors won't fire, thus LPG piggyback systems won't fire either.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2014, 22:02:06 »

Yep, and the petrol pumps do prime before cranking on the 3.2.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2014, 22:16:00 »

Ah ok wrt crank sensor :y

Was told different when I asked about fuel pump priming on switching a couple of years ago :-\

That said, even if the pump primes, if it's on its last legs, the pressure won't be great.

chrisgixer

« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2014, 22:21:44 »

Are you sure/could it be that, it didn't run out go lpg, but died due to crank sensor fault.

Is it worth flicking back and forth between fuels to confirm its defo only petrol at fault?

If it does prove to be petrol only, when was fuel filter last changed?

Is the eml bulb working, does it illuminate at ignition on? ....although, you don't mention a fuel trim code. Then again, 0301 would of bought the eml on, then reset on re start if the fault cleared.

More questions than answers, but does look like a petrol system fault from what you said. :-\ ....IMO.

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2014, 23:03:02 »

Right, ran out of LPG, switched to petrol automatically, car spluttered and died.

Now that I have topped up both petrol and LPG, it dies on switching to petrol and refuses to fire up on petrol. Force an LPG start (ie hold LPG switch down and crank) and the car fires up. The EML is on, codes as above.

So I can potentially run on LPG all the way back down south.

No clue when fuel filter was last changed. Full Vx service was 2 years ago, presume it was changed then. Not certain though.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2014, 23:07:40 »

If you get it running above idle - say a steady motorway cruise, does it still drop dead if you switch to petrol?

If so, I'd say it's fuel pump related (is the fuse OK?).

If it can be made to run on petrol in this way, maybe fuel trims have gone badly enough awry that it won't idle on petrol.

Doesn't sound like crank sensor to me. It wouldn't start on LPG if that had died.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2014, 23:22:32 »

I have to say I did not try that, just wanted to get home and was worried about loosing power steering assistance. Let me give that a go tomorrow.

Could a badly blocked fuel filter cause this issue as well. May be worth changing that first.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.