Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wet Carpet, not scuttle or matrix  (Read 4430 times)

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
Wet Carpet, not scuttle or matrix
« on: 19 January 2016, 18:07:55 »

Okay, after having read through all the search topics on this and the problem now repeating, it is time to ask for some assistance.....

MY 1997/8 MFL Estate is collecting a lot of water in the ns footwells. The scuttle drain is completely clear and empty. The pollen filter is dry. Under the rear seat is dry and not rusty or showing signs of previous water ingress. Along the vertical parts of the carpet on the sills are dry. The windows are shut and the bottom of the door cards are dry with no obvious signs of water ingress on the inner sill trims. Now, the rear footwell is wet enough to put your hand on and get a hand under water. The front carpet feels "cold/damp" but when lifted has a LOT of water in the foam. The coolant level is not dropping, the heater floor vents are dry.

This originally happened around Christmas and the the rear carpet was dried out and the front was mopped out and then the foam hoovered to get as dry as possible. (The water was almost over the loom running along the bottom of the floorpan at the front). Fast  forward a week from then and everything was good again. No wet windscreen, no misting, etc.... Now, the last couple of days has seen this return. The sunroof is dripping on the inside of the glass from condensation, the windscreen is that wet you need a drying towel and both footwells are as bad as before.

I now know the carpets can be removed (will look at this this coming weekend possibly), this will be entertained. In the meantime, what else can anyone suggest?

I cannot park the car off road, so this does limit options slightly.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Wet Carpet, not scuttle or matrix
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2016, 18:29:48 »

Does it have a sunroof?If so are the drain tubes for that clear?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2016, 18:30:21 »

Sun roof drains?  Pour some water down them and check it falls on the floor and does not dissapear into the car .. I seem to remember reading that the pipes can come off ?? Might be wrong but .......

iansoutham

• SE London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2016, 18:38:31 »

Had thought of that but been unable to test the theory. What is the exit point if blocked/separated?

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2016, 18:41:24 »

Had thought of that but been unable to test the theory. What is the exit point if blocked/separated?
Potentially the floor...

Remove the carpets regardless, would recommend the interior sill covers too, only a few screws, but might help to reveal the source...

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2016, 18:43:54 »

Don't know for sure-others will know better-but I think fronts run down screen pillar and empty behind front arch liner,rears again I believe empty into rear arch area.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2016, 19:13:59 »

Potentially the floor...

Remove the carpets regardless, would recommend the interior sill covers too, only a few screws, but might help to reveal the source...

Floor is sound. Have had all the carpets up enough to see as am used to 1980s Fords so am used to rusty floors

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2016, 19:20:54 »

Sills and front bulkhead/floor seam to name but two...

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2016, 19:52:36 »

When this happened on mine, it turned out to be a hole the size of your fist had appeared in the rear arch, behind the plastic cover at the front of the arch...

Had to remove everything in the rear so it didnt catch fire when I fabricated and welded new metal back in.... hasn't leaked since LOL

It happened when we was about 20 miles from our 2 weeks holiday and my lad was complaining of his feet getting wet.... they was wet alright, the rear footwell had about 2 inches of dirty water in it that had been thrown up by the tyre and into the car through the hole LOL
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Andyv6

• westmidlands
    • Elite 3.0, Vectra b3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2016, 20:51:53 »

As its an estate does your rear washer work ? I have known this with other cars in the past where the washer pipe has split, not to sure where it runs on the omega estate, another thought does your a/c work and are the a/c drains clear ?, had this once with my vectra didn't twig it till I tasted the water to see if it was coolant or screen wash lol.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2016, 21:04:16 »

As its an estate does your rear washer work ? I have known this with other cars in the past where the washer pipe has split, not to sure where it runs on the omega estate, another thought does your a/c work and are the a/c drains clear ?, had this once with my vectra didn't twig it till I tasted the water to see if it was coolant or screen wash lol.

Rear washer works fine. Good thought on the a/c drain. Will have to find where that goes.

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2016, 21:09:47 »

Rear washer works fine. Good thought on the a/c drain. Will have to find where that goes.
through the top of the tunnel about level with the bell housing ;)

iansoutham

• SE London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2016, 16:46:53 »

Cheers guys.

The plan is to remove the carpet after work tomorrow (advantage of a heated large workshop at work) and hang that up to dry.

I understand that the rear carpet comes out nice and easy after removing the seat belt mounts, loosening the rear of the centre console and not a lot else.

How does the front carpet remove? Is it in 2 pieces (left and right)? Do you NEED to remove the centre console or can it be loosened?

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2016, 17:21:04 »

Take the filler trim off the side of the seat, remove the trim panel from above foot well, locate and unscrew the two retaining the clips up on the bulkhead, slacken the front seat bolt next to the centre console then simply hoik the carpet out ;)

Refittimg will require removing the kick panel...

iansoutham

• SE London
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2016, 11:06:47 »

Well, removed the carpets yesterday. An hour after hanging the rear carpet up to drain, it was still raining  :'(

I had to cut the underlay foam on the front passenger footwell about a foot up as it would not remove. I can either replace later with a replacement one but will probably just put that one back for now, glued together to help join the 2 sections.

The underlay in the front drained about 2 litres out of it before I gave up and left it to dry.

It has rained last night but there is no fresh water trails yet. So will leave it for now and use it as is for work and see what happens next.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.