Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Broadband extension  (Read 2721 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Broadband extension
« on: 06 October 2018, 14:45:36 »

So....here we are, installed in our new Brackley home, but my man cave is at the opposite end of the building to where I want another internet connection. I have done a bit of reading and it seems to me that using the electrical circuit is the easiest way to extend the internet.
I read it as this....I plug in a unit in the mains by my computer, then connect a cable from it to my BT Home Hub 6. I then plug the second module into a power point in the front bedroom, then run a cable from that unit to my other computer.
I believe these units are about £22 for the pair for the BT ones.
1.....do they work
2.....do they use electricity
3.....I am on up to 76mb at my hub, last speedcheck was 68mb what would the drop be through these units.
I don't really want to be running miles of cables through/outside the house. Any advice on experience of use , or any other ideas welcomed. :y
PS....its too far to connect a cable to TB's house ;D ;D
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Broadband extension
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2018, 15:26:22 »

Wait til I get back to Blighty, I can give you a short term loan of a set, so at least you can try.  You will get relatively poor throughput, but "good enough" for surfing/email. Probably not good enough for cloud storage or gaming.

Depending on distance, other electrical devices, electrical layout, and what neighbours use, you may find it works, intermittent or unusable.

I personally use a set to get wired Internet and an additional hotspot in the garage. Its mostly "good enough" for my needs out there.  I have also found that occasionally, the devices need turning off as if they need resetting.

If gaming (not sure on your flight sim games though), you 100%, definitely need a cat5 cable, as speed and latency are everything.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2018, 15:26:25 »

They worked for me, Tony, but Kevin will look down his nose at you and Jaime may even call round and smack you one.  ;D
EDIT. The fella who's supposed to be on holiday beat me to it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2018, 15:30:57 »

To answer the questions specifically:

1) Sometimes
2) A small amount, the specs will say actual wattage, but its low
3) Variable - I get between 5Mb and 30Mb on mine...  ...although sometimes it stops altogether. The electrical path on yours may improve/decrease that.
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2018, 17:07:06 »

Thanks for the replies.....
Won't be used for Flight Sim, mate. I just want the computer in the bedroom, so I can surf, or BBC I Player, etc. Basically, if the tv aerial in the room works, I may not need a computer. The computer, running a 32" TV as a monitor, was in place of a telly. Not seen another aerial except the sky dish. I assume there must be one in the loft. I will dig some wires out and give an aerial socket a try. Would still like the internet though.
There is a big phone/internet socket in the room, but I assume you can only run one BT hub in the house.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2018, 17:33:05 »

but I assume you can only run one BT hub in the house.
You can only have 1 device that acts as a modem (ie, connected to the internet). So you can't plug in 2 homehubs (or any other 2 routers) into the same line.
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2018, 18:16:54 »

That's what I thought the answer would be !!! :y
Shame, as I have another hub and router :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2018, 23:33:53 »

That's what I thought the answer would be !!! :y
Shame, as I have another hub and router :(
Depending how its wired, and how good the cable is, you *MAY* be able to get 100Mb over the phone cable.  Its not rated for it, but decent quality cable and sub 20m runs, I've had reasonable success with. Miles better than wanki wifi
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2018, 09:34:15 »

I picked this up from another forum, and it works, it may help:-

Link two HomeHubs together to extend a home network - slave hub and master hub

I've just connected an HH6 slave to an HH5, and an HH3 slave to a different HH5, and both slave Hubs are working fine. The following is a guide to this "daisy-chaining" of two HomeHubs. It assumes basic knowledge on how to use a browser and a Hub in the first place.

Plug just the power lead in to your Slave Hub and switch it on.
Because the slave hub hasn't got a direct connection to the internet, you'll see problems being indicated:

HH3: Power & Wireless lights blue, but middle light for broadband is unlit.
HH5: Light will be flashing orange.
HH6: Light will be flashing a weird pinky-lilac colour.

Connect a computer to the Slave Hub using your favourite method - by WiFi or by Ethernet cable.
You'll be told you have no internet access, but that's fine at present.
Log into the Hub settings page by firing up your browser and visiting internet address 192.168.1.254

CHANGE THE SLAVE HUB IP ADDRESS:

HH3 & HH5: Advanced Settings tab > Home Network > IP Addresses
HH6: Advanced Settings (purple box bottom right) > My Network (box) > IPv4 Configuration

The IP address should be showing as being 192.168.1.254

Change the last number to something below 64. Let's say 192.168.1.20

Apply the change.

You'll immediately have lost contact with the Hub, as its address has just changed. Doesn't matter. Close the browser, switch off the Hub, then switch it back on. Wait for it to do its start-up things.

LOG BACK IN TO THE HUB'S SETTINGS PAGE:

That is, use your browser to visit the NEW internet address 192.168.1.20

If you're using Firefox with NoScript, remember to allow scripts for this new page 192.168.1.20, or your Hub Admin password won't work!

DISABLE DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol):

HH3 & HH5: Advanced Settings > Home Network > IP Addresses > set DHCP Server to 'no'.
HH6: Advanced Settings > My Network > IPv4 Configuration > set DHCP Server to 'no', ie disable it.

Apply the change.

YOU CAN NOW CHANGE THE NETWORK NAME, IF YOU WISH:

HH3 & HH5: (Advanced Settings) Wireless > the Wireless SSID box --- it'll say something like BTHub5-XYZ4
HH6: Wireless > Change Settings > Network Name --- it'll say something like BTHub6-ABC3

Changing it to something like BTHub5-SLAVE or Hub5-REMOTE will be useful for helping you remember which network is which, in the days and years ahead.

You can change your network password as well, if you wish to. Also, you can give your 2.4GHz and your 5GHz networks different names, if you feel like it (not on HH3 though). Or even disable wireless completely, if you are an Ethernet-only type of computer guy.

DISABLE THE SLAVE HUB's FIREWALL:

The primary Hub does the firewall stuff by default, so the slave hub doesn't need to. Disable the firewall:

HH3: (Advanced Settings) > Port Forwarding > Firewall
HH5 & HH6: (Advanced Settings) > Firewall > Configuration

CONNECT THE SLAVE HUB TO THE MASTER HUB:

Have an Ethernet cable, plugged in to a yellow socket on the Master Hub and also the Slave Hub. (The red Ethernet socket on HH3 and HH5 can be ignored.)

Assuming the Master Hub has an internet connection, you now should be able to surf when connected to the Slave Hub.

If the Slave Hub's flashing light annoys you, it can be turned down or off:

HH5: (Advanced Settings) > Hub Lights --- you can select 'normal' or 'low'
HH6: Hub light control --- various options including switching it off.

Or you might decide to use traditional old black gaffa tape over the light, although that's not so easy on the HH6, as the light is semi-recessed.
I like red cars

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2018, 09:41:42 »

Quite the techie aren't we, Barry?  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2018, 10:12:49 »

Wait til I get back to Blighty, I can give you a short term loan of a set, so at least you can try.  You will get relatively poor throughput, but "good enough" for surfing/email. Probably not good enough for cloud storage or gaming.

Depending on distance, other electrical devices, electrical layout, and what neighbours use, you may find it works, intermittent or unusable.

I personally use a set to get wired Internet and an additional hotspot in the garage. Its mostly "good enough" for my needs out there.  I have also found that occasionally, the devices need turning off as if they need resetting.

If gaming (not sure on your flight sim games though), you 100%, definitely need a cat5 cable, as speed and latency are everything.

I thought you already had this fitted as standard. ::) ::) ::)

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2018, 11:01:02 »

I thought you already had this fitted as standard. ::) ::) ::)
Ouch!  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2018, 14:49:53 »

AutoAddict - that needs a cable between hubs, which Terbs said is difficult.  In addition, if you had a cable, you wouldn't bother anyway, unless you needed a wider WiFi range (in which case, adjust router settings and/or replace router).

A Wifi link is possible, but suspect Terbs will have same issues I have (as will have to be 2.4Ghz if opposite ends of house), but I'd use a dedicated, proper Wifi bridge, not ISP provided routers.
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2018, 16:24:50 »

AutoAddict - that needs a cable between hubs, which Terbs said is difficult.  In addition, if you had a cable, you wouldn't bother anyway, unless you needed a wider WiFi range (in which case, adjust router settings and/or replace router).

A Wifi link is possible, but suspect Terbs will have same issues I have (as will have to be 2.4Ghz if opposite ends of house), but I'd use a dedicated, proper Wifi bridge, not ISP provided routers.

I use a power line adaptor, and as I had a spare HHub 5 it makes an excellent wifi extender for both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.

Main router is upstairs, the extender is downstairs.

I have perfect wifi coverage now all over the house - cheap way of doing it.
I like red cars
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.