Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Topping conifers  (Read 5189 times)

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
Topping conifers
« on: 25 October 2018, 00:51:27 »

Hi all I have a conifer that needs Topping by about five feet can anyone tell me if i need to seal the cut end of the tree and if that is the case what do I seal it with
tia

Tony
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • View Profile
Re: Topping conifers
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2018, 01:03:54 »

Oops!!! posted in wrong section can mods please move to general chat
Thanks
Tony

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2018, 08:50:28 »

I didn't seal mine and they are still alive after 10 years. I only took about 2 feet off though. :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2018, 09:14:25 »

The more you cut a conifer..especially Leylandii the more they will grow.

Growth is from the sides and tend to appear as a curved upward branch trunk with the new shoots forming .Over time these die back and new take over giving the appearance of dead wood inside .

We have a row of 30 conifers at the back of our garden forming a screen to a primary school playground and have them infrequently cut due to the costs involved being around 30ft tall now.They used to be cut down to about 12/15 ft but after 2 years you could hardly tell they had ever been cut back.

Have just had them done in the last few weeks as they were stopping a hug amount of light into the garden and they are now down to around 12ft and look very sorry for them selves appearing almost just dead branches ,but can assure you in 2 years time they will be as green and bushy as before

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2018, 10:01:04 »

Done mine yesterday, tools needed. 1chainsaw,,1hedge trimmer, and a bow saw. O and a ladder, large tarpaulin to catch trimmings.

Depending on how much you want to chop off and how high is the issue, when I first did mine they were 20ft high, took two people, decided were to cut, tied a piece of rope around trunk, then cut below rope and pulled, then tidied up with the hedge trimmer,  yesterday just cut the top growth back with the trimmer..  Or find a local gardener/odd job type,, beware if they turn up in a transit and caravan.
Hoof'land storeman.

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2018, 10:05:54 »

beware if they turn up in a transit and caravan.

Because they might be jimmy944? Wait, no, he declined the idea of a Transit  :D

I am petrified of heights, so my suggestion would just be: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=liverpool+arborist  :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2018, 10:46:31 »

beware if they turn up in a transit and caravan.

Because they might be jimmy944? Wait, no, he declined the idea of a Transit  :D

I am petrified of heights, so my suggestion would just be: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=liverpool+arborist  :)

I once asked a local arborist how much, he said £450, I replied how much, well it's a days work,and we have all the proper kit and insurance,  it took me 3hours including tea break, loading cuttings on van and going to the tip.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2018, 11:12:27 »

A bit early for sorting out the Christmas tree...  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2018, 14:52:43 »

Cut 5 feet out of the bottom of the tree, so you don't lose the shape at the top.  :y

:D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2018, 15:49:25 »

I'd rather cut the bloody things down, but I don't want to try and dig the roots out. :-X
Hoof'land storeman.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2018, 16:25:54 »

3 conifers at bottom of our garden when we moved in,looked very nice! her indoors wanted them topped as no light in kitchen?ok I said I will do it, no way was the reply im going to get an estimate from a tree surgeon! ok hun I respect your opinion but remeber for the last 5 years in spain al i did was ground maintenance and teee felling?
yes but i think your to old now darling you cant go climbing trees,really? wtf ? ok get an estimate i said,2 quotes of 900 and 950,up the trees i went while she was shopping,conifers 51feet high,private yard behiind them and 25ft garden to the house,hmm she comes back from shopping to find the biggest tree now has 26feet removed from the top and garden full of branches and stuff, all done with a handsaw as the chainsaw was to dodgy to use overhead!,how you going to get rid of that? simple cut it all up into 6inch lengths and put it in the brown bin! that was 6 weeks ago and yesterday,i removed the last of the branches on the third tree they are now approx 23 feet high,she liked the extra light so much i now have to remove the trunks and remaining branches, so fired up the chainsaw, after its sat in the shed for a year, and will be doing the lot as soon as i arrange a trailer to remove the trunks! :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2018, 20:03:14 »

3 conifers at bottom of our garden when we moved in,looked very nice! her indoors wanted them topped as no light in kitchen?ok I said I will do it, no way was the reply im going to get an estimate from a tree surgeon! ok hun I respect your opinion but remeber for the last 5 years in spain al i did was ground maintenance and teee felling?
yes but i think your to old now darling you cant go climbing trees,really? wtf ? ok get an estimate i said,2 quotes of 900 and 950,up the trees i went while she was shopping,conifers 51feet high,private yard behiind them and 25ft garden to the house,hmm she comes back from shopping to find the biggest tree now has 26feet removed from the top and garden full of branches and stuff, all done with a handsaw as the chainsaw was to dodgy to use overhead!,how you going to get rid of that? simple cut it all up into 6inch lengths and put it in the brown bin! that was 6 weeks ago and yesterday,i removed the last of the branches on the third tree they are now approx 23 feet high,she liked the extra light so much i now have to remove the trunks and remaining branches, so fired up the chainsaw, after its sat in the shed for a year, and will be doing the lot as soon as i arrange a trailer to remove the trunks! :y

Now if you had a decent sized estate car.
Hoof'land storeman.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2018, 20:27:43 »

Thanks for all the advice peeps good stuff  :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2018, 12:15:33 »

Now if you had a decent sized estate car.
:y sprinter is plenty big enough!

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2018, 18:16:33 »

I'd rather cut the bloody things down, but I don't want to try and dig the roots out. :-X

All you need is some evil weedkiller. I bought some from eBay, (Yes, I Know) the instructions describe how much to dilute it to kill tree stumps and how many ml you need per acre of field. I own an end terrace  ;D
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.