Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hypothetical car finance Q...  (Read 4905 times)

05omegav6

Hypothetical car finance Q...
« on: 19 April 2015, 16:32:59 »

Can a car in negative equity be used as a deposit for a lease or PCP?

Without going into detail, I didn't part ex my last car, as it was felt that it should readily have achieved the outstanding finance if sold privately.

This has turned out not to be the case. Current car is also in negative equity, although by alot less. The second car is covered by my budget, the first is not, which is also creating issues.

The ONLY reason for asking the question is to try and get some sound advice for dealing with the cars, as the whole point of trading the car down and becoming employed was to reduce my costs and to improve my financial situation for obtaining a mortgage. The former having clearly not worked, and the second looking increasingly unlikely.

My options seem to be as follows:

1.Return the first car and suffer the financial consequences.
2.Sell the first car and try to raise the difference between the achieved value and the settlement figure.
3.Part exchange the first car, (or both cars for a lease car), say a £1-200 (plus the negative equity) per month deal on a wwd shitbox.

The biggest issue with option 1, is that the agreement has a settlement figure of about £16,800 and a remaining balance of about £20,400, the difference being returned interest. I understand that when the car is auctioned, it may not achieve the required amount, thereby making it impossible to calculate my liability accurately, but the finance company refuse to tell me which figure they would deduct the sale price from :-\ Assuming it achieved £13,500, would I owe £3,300 or £6,900?

The second option doesn't seem to be working either, as the car has been for sale since mid January...

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical car finance Q...
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2015, 16:50:38 »

Nothing is shifting currently. Housing market, (and presumably knock on effect with cars), is apparently waiting for the election result, before anyone decides on spending.

I don't know why, but there seems to be some credence to the theory. So, sit tight.

....what are similar Mercs sales like?

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2015, 17:08:07 »

Have you tried https://www.wewantanycar.com/

Some of the wbac alternatives are quite reasonable.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2015, 17:08:51 »

Personally I would avoid options one and three.

Option two, although better, is still far from ideal.

Between a rock and a hard place comes to mind, Al.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2015, 17:21:50 »

If your having trouble shifting them, without losing money on them, I would rent them out assuming there still both plated as taxi's or just replate them.

Assuming you can get the same rates as Swindon (if not higher) that's £150 per week per car, which will cover all costs of insurance/maintenance/tax etc

Ok its a bit of hassle, collecting rent etc but imo it makes sense what to do with them  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2015, 17:23:09 »

Depends on your definition of reasonable  ::)
But thanks for the thought :y

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2015, 17:27:17 »

If your having trouble shifting them, without losing money on them, I would rent them out assuming there still both plated as taxi's or just replate them.

Assuming you can get the same rates as Swindon (if not higher) that's £150 per week per car, which will cover all costs of insurance/maintenance/tax etc

Ok its a bit of hassle, collecting rent etc but imo it makes sense what to do with them  :y
I wouldn't trust a single one of them to pay/not smoke it it/look after it etc, so would have to be a direct sale. It would cost nearly £600 just to replate the Merc... Insignia is still plated, and was planning on shifting it at the end of the summer... currently my only MoTd transport ::)

The Sheriff

« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2015, 17:29:14 »

Can a car in negative equity be used as a deposit for a lease or PCP?

Without going into detail, I didn't part ex my last car, as it was felt that it should readily have achieved the outstanding finance if sold privately.

This has turned out not to be the case. Current car is also in negative equity, although by alot less. The second car is covered by my budget, the first is not, which is also creating issues.

The ONLY reason for asking the question is to try and get some sound advice for dealing with the cars, as the whole point of trading the car down and becoming employed was to reduce my costs and to improve my financial situation for obtaining a mortgage. The former having clearly not worked, and the second looking increasingly unlikely.

My options seem to be as follows:

1.Return the first car and suffer the financial consequences.
2.Sell the first car and try to raise the difference between the achieved value and the settlement figure.
3.Part exchange the first car, (or both cars for a lease car), say a £1-200 (plus the negative equity) per month deal on a wwd shitbox.

The biggest issue with option 1, is that the agreement has a settlement figure of about £16,800 and a remaining balance of about £20,400, the difference being returned interest. I understand that when the car is auctioned, it may not achieve the required amount, thereby making it impossible to calculate my liability accurately, but the finance company refuse to tell me which figure they would deduct the sale price from :-\ Assuming it achieved £13,500, would I owe £3,300 or £6,900?

The second option doesn't seem to be working either, as the car has been for sale since mid January...
As far as I can see, the minute you return the car, the interest should stop accruing, so the figure would be £16,800. But, of course, they would probably value the car at less than that. Can you not get enough money together to pay them the difference between their valuation and the settlement figure minus returned interest?
How long was the original credit agreement and how far are you into it?

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2015, 17:31:59 »

Five years and nine months respectively  :-\

The Sheriff

« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2015, 17:36:51 »

Five years and nine months respectively  :-\
Right. That's not long  :(

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2015, 17:38:03 »

Nothing is shifting currently. Housing market, (and presumably knock on effect with cars), is apparently waiting for the election result, before anyone decides on spending.

I don't know why, but there seems to be some credence to the theory. So, sit tight.

Looking at Autotrader, anything from £13,500+ :-\

The Sheriff

« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2015, 17:52:02 »

It looks to me that, instead of all the convolution, you need to beg, borrow or steal about three grand to get rid of the merc once and for all.
REMEMBER...you will not be considered for a mortgage with anything other than a perfect credit record, don't break that up cause it's a bugger to put right.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2015, 18:08:00 »

Looking at Autotrader, anything from £13,500+ :-\

As pm. Long term...Sell the car ASAP, put the balance on 0% credit card and pay off the minimum payment until you get settled.

Short term, get 0% credit card and make sure the payments are met.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2015, 18:33:19 »

I wouldn't trust a single one of them to pay/not smoke it it/look after it etc, so would have to be a direct sale. It would cost nearly £600 just to replate the Merc... Insignia is still plated, and was planning on shifting it at the end of the summer... currently my only MoTd transport ::)

Blimey  :o that much, im pretty certain its about £160 for a first plate on a taxi in Swindon.

You haven't any non smoking mates then, that rent their cabs?? That's how I rented mine out....undercut what they are paying by £10-£20 a week usually persuades to swap cars  :y

I only had one bad payer....and he was easily persuaded to pay the rent when it came down to maintenance.....ie you want new tyres, cause there illegal.....pay the rent you owe and then i'll put new tyres on  ::) ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2015, 18:57:10 »

£325 for plate, £150 for a canbus interface, £100 ish for a meter, £60 meter fitting/calibration, £47 for mechanical inspection, £65-90 roof sign, £10 for plate holder, £20 for a fire extinguisher and first aid kit. £600 was a bit light :-\

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2015, 19:32:27 »

£325 for plate, £150 for a canbus interface, £100 ish for a meter, £60 meter fitting/calibration, £47 for mechanical inspection, £65-90 roof sign, £10 for plate holder, £20 for a fire extinguisher and first aid kit. £600 was a bit light :-\

Ahh....I see, you moved the bits and pieces between cars £325 for a plate is shocking  :o

But I can save you £30....ask/demand a plating kit from council....mine doesn't supply them voluntarily but will produce a kit foc if you ask and suspect yours will too  ;) fire extinguisher and first aid kit.....borrow from Insignia for inspection.....when are you ever going to need a fire extinguisher and for first aid kit....unless you have first aid training you carnt use it....so just to be on the safe side on the unlikely chance a passenger cuts themselves on the plastic/seatbelt....keep a couple of plasters in the car  :y 

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2015, 19:37:32 »

Ahh....I see, you moved the bits and pieces between cars £325 for a plate is shocking  :o

But I can save you £30....ask/demand a plating kit from council....mine doesn't supply them voluntarily but will produce a kit foc if you ask and suspect yours will too  ;) fire extinguisher and first aid kit.....borrow from Insignia for inspection.....when are you ever going to need a fire extinguisher and for first aid kit....unless you have first aid training you carnt use it....so just to be on the safe side on the unlikely chance a passenger cuts themselves on the plastic/seatbelt....keep a couple of plasters in the car  :y 
;D

Our Licensing organ grinder makes a note of serial numbers etc... he wised up to that ruse about six years ago ::)

The Sheriff

« Reply #17 on: 19 April 2015, 19:40:22 »

Would you really hand over the keys of your merc to someone else, to put thousands of miles on it and devalue it even further and expect them to look after it as you would?
I wouldn't.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #18 on: 19 April 2015, 19:48:40 »

;D

Our Licensing organ grinder makes a note of serial numbers etc... he wised up to that ruse about six years ago ::)

Shhhh then ... don't go telling my council  ::) ;D And they haven't even noticed the extinguisher that I keep shoving in the boot.....is out of date as well  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: 19 April 2015, 19:50:28 by Taxi Driver »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 April 2015, 19:56:42 »

Would you really hand over the keys of your merc to someone else, to put thousands of miles on it and devalue it even further and expect them to look after it as you would?
I wouldn't.

Neither would I.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #20 on: 19 April 2015, 19:57:52 »

I wouldn't.

I did....on a c220 estate I owned.....I bought the 2.2 omega and rented the c220 out to a great payer.....every week on the dot he gave me, back then, £140 a week.....even when it was off the road for 2 months due to an accident....not his fault....so he went into a courtesy 'taxi' car....I was getting rent for a car not doing any miles and not paying for the courtesy car  :y ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #21 on: 19 April 2015, 20:02:48 »

I wouldn't.

Neither would I.

Its been devalued anyway.....it'll be on the V5 its been used a taxi   ;)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 April 2015, 20:05:36 »

I like the sound of that. Lease out the lease car to pay the lease. If I understand correctly?

Is one driver more likely to pops up the interior any more than another? Well possibly not, but who cares. Priority 1. Get the damn bills payed. :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 April 2015, 20:07:28 »

Think of it as, my cars interior v my mortgageabilty. No contest!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #24 on: 19 April 2015, 20:16:08 »

I would...I'd have those cars earning....tho its a bit of a hassle tbh.....but its Al's decision  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 April 2015, 20:16:35 »

I assumed Al already had a mortgage. ??? ???

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #26 on: 19 April 2015, 20:20:34 »

Im only guessing here....but I think Al lives with his Mum.....as every post ive seen when he's been praised for work done on other peeps omegas....his mum gets a mention for great bacon sarnies.... :-\

The Sheriff

« Reply #27 on: 19 April 2015, 20:29:22 »

Im only guessing here....but I think Al lives with his Mum.....as every post ive seen when he's been praised for work done on other peeps omegas....his mum gets a mention for great bacon sarnies.... :-\
You're a nosy bastard, Dave. ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #28 on: 19 April 2015, 20:38:56 »

No....just observant ....I don't care who Al lives with....hows that's nosy  :-\

I may be totally wrong and he just does repairs on his mums drive.... :-\

But not nosey  :y
« Last Edit: 19 April 2015, 20:42:11 by Taxi Driver »

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 April 2015, 20:42:44 »

....sorry, I meant credit rating. :-[

The Sheriff

« Reply #30 on: 19 April 2015, 20:44:11 »

No....just observant ....I don't care who Al lives with....hows that's nosy  :-\

I may be totally wrong and he just does repairs on his mums drive.... :-\

But not nosey  :y
Touchy..... ::)   ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 19 April 2015, 21:11:20 »

I wouldn't.

Neither would I.

Not so. Two private owners from new ;)

There are a couple of possibilities for renting them out, but in a world of Skoda shitboxes a Merc is a bit rich for most people :-\

Will see what tomorrow brings...

I happen to rent a room above my Mums drive, hence the supply of bacon sarnies ;D

The Sheriff

« Reply #32 on: 19 April 2015, 21:26:46 »

I wouldn't.

Neither would I.

Not so. Two private owners from new ;)

There are a couple of possibilities for renting them out, but in a world of Skoda shitboxes a Merc is a bit rich for most people :-\

Will see what tomorrow brings...

I happen to rent a room above my Mums drive, hence the supply of bacon sarnies ;D
Well, you may end up destitute but at least you won't be homeless. Bet that's cheered you up. ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #33 on: 19 April 2015, 21:30:20 »

Lots ::)

;D

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 April 2015, 21:48:54 »

Depends on your definition of reasonable  ::)
But thanks for the thought :y

I cannot remember the spec or how old your car is but the car in the link will get you £15,600 on the website I suggested. Is yours older or higher mileage etc?
« Last Edit: 19 April 2015, 21:50:32 by D »
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

05omegav6

« Reply #35 on: 19 April 2015, 22:06:28 »

Mine is 6 months older, twice the mileage, but much better specced :y

£12,100 was their best offer :(

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 April 2015, 22:47:05 »

Hmmm, at that sort of mileage the price that these companies will pay will dip dramatically. So will the scope of the privately buying crowd.

So if you sold the Insignia, are you saying that the Merc would be too expensive to run as your only private car? Because it would make sense to get rid of the car with lesser neg equity and wait for the Merc's negative equity to lessen. That is presuming you run it as your car, and not a taxi and put even more miles on it. If that makes sense?
« Last Edit: 19 April 2015, 22:51:46 by D »

05omegav6

« Reply #37 on: 19 April 2015, 23:13:57 »

It would be a struggle, and would be dependent on getting shot of the Insignia. If manageable, it would only be until it reached the 31st month, then it could be thrown back... that also applies to the Insignia.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 April 2015, 23:28:49 »

Looking at it the other way, what sort of income could two cars give you?

05omegav6

« Reply #39 on: 20 April 2015, 00:11:12 »

£400 a week would keep both cars on the road, insured, plated, Motd, taxed, shod and serviced... that's before profit...

As taxis, purely from a Rank basis, both cars carry the same income potential as it's pure chance... Rented out to a driver with an established business, the Mercedes should command a premium :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 April 2015, 01:11:05 »

£400 a week would keep both cars on the road, insured, plated, Motd, taxed, shod and serviced... that's before profit...

As taxis, purely from a Rank basis, both cars carry the same income potential as it's pure chance... Rented out to a driver with an established business, the Mercedes should command a premium :-\

Rent it out then and look at it purely as a cash cow.  ;)   Spend the bare minimum on maintenance etc, keep paying the finance and put a bit aside to tart it up when you are ready to sell it.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.