Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windscreen observations / feedback DOs and DON'Ts  (Read 2392 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Windscreen observations / feedback DOs and DON'Ts
« on: 29 April 2019, 11:08:51 »

This is in light of Autoglass replacing my screen 4 years ago, and Auto Windscreens fitting another a few days ago.

(Caveat is this may be sucking eggs to many / all of you, however its not a job which occurs every day and so may help future owners avoid a few pitfalls.)

1. Don't try to reuse the rubber.
 This is common enough knowledge, however Autoglass did and it unpeeled itself at 70mph a week later, slapping the side screens, the shock potentially causing a fatal accident.

2. There are two ways to skin a cat / fit a screen
 The first is the Autoglass way, turns out gobbo-ing glue inside the lower, horizontal rubber trim is not the way. If glued in this way when you remove it it has to be peeled, distorted and nearly ripped. This lower portion is left dry...

3. Rubber goes on first
 The plastic 'channels' fit to the glass, once on, so too do the rubber trims. These are not fitted once the screen is on, they won't fit right or stay on.

4. ...sortof
 Because mine removed itself on the A180, I sourced a good used one, removed with massive skill, and was fitted and clipped in right nearly all the way. It can be put in last, but wont ever sit quite right.

5. The glass companies can get the rubber trims
 Yes, they can. Autoglass said they would. Then didn't. Auto Windscreens said they would. And did.  :y If its part of the job, then they will should supply it, end of. Just ask and get them to confirm it, as I did.

6. It's a two man job because the screen dives under the front wing
 I have been told by Autoglass the standard is a 1-man job, the rain sensor is 2-man, because of the extra weight ( :o ) Auto Windscreens say - For a proper job, without fouled paint, 2-man.

7. Lazy vs Better
 Finally, expanding on point 1. the Autoglass version sounds like the rubber trim was left attached to the scuttle plastic, a squidge of glue pushed in, then the screen rested in there, then levered in place. The correct way is as above, all trims and rubber on first, 'hover' it nearly parallel with the car, bring in the lower edge first, tuck just under the wings, then seat the rest in with light fistbumping and pressure. Again the horizontal rubber clips into the channel, not glued...a la Autoglass.

8. Don't let them heat gun it
 The rubber trims will be a bit wobbly from storage. Don't let them or anyone else (eg: if you're doing the job yourself) think theyre doing a good job by getting a heat gun on the rubber to smooth it out. Just leave it once in the car, a length of masking tape and a warm day is enough to let it smooth out over a few hours. Heat gun + windscreen = cracked screen.

Very happy with the Auto Windscreen service, and would recommend them to anyone. At least one thing I had after all the faff and lies from Autoglass 4 years ago, was they at least fitted the screen right. Now it turns out they didn't!

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

aaronjb

Re: Windscreen observations / feedback DOs and DON'Ts
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2019, 11:45:46 »

Oddly enough, I, too had a positive experience of Auto Windscreens - fitted a new screen to the BMW last week, no trouble, no faff.. and nothing came unglued when I took it from here to Pompey at the weekend.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2019, 12:30:23 »

Autonoglass can't supply a windscreen, let alone fit one. They technically still owe me an Omega screen :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2019, 12:53:59 »

Thanks Diamond Black Geezer - and it's good to get an insight into the Omega windscreens. I can tell from my CD project car that it had a replacement windscreen fitted before I acquired it, and the channel under the surrounding rubber is actually on top of the windscreen in places. It does look a really poor job. The bottom corners of the windscreen have started to de-laminate within the black edge area at the bottom corners - possible consequence of a badly fitted screen? It should hopefully pass an MOT test as there's no visible damage or cracks within the clear area, but that's another matter to think about.

I've heard it mentioned that the original configuration involves 7 separate pieces including the screen? How does it compare to this item which claims to replace the originals? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-1994-2002-WINDSCREEN-RUBBER-MOULDING-KIT-2-PIECE-LATER-STYLE/121413651127?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega&hash=item1c44d14ab7:g:vg4AAOSw28dcNyic

Is there a way to tell the difference without dismantling? My main interest is in the subject is a future windscreen removal, a good clean up at the front end of the car including removal of both front wings, and then replace with a new screen when all the work is done. Any ideas or thoughts on such a venture would be appreciated. I've watched endless Youtube videos covering different methods and tools, so have a bit of an insight. The car will be under cover and it's probably going to be a very long term project.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2019, 12:59:03 »

Original had four edge pieces: 2 sides 1 top 1 bottom, and two rubbers 1 sides AND top 1 bottom.

Later has two edge pieces: 1 sides AND top, 1 bottom and same rubbers as earlier.

Entire frame and rubbers must be fitted to the screen BEFORE the screen is placed on the car :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2019, 13:58:56 »

whoever did my screen must have been drunk or an imbecile or blind
probably all 3  ;D

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2019, 18:36:28 »

As discussed in a previous thread, Autoglass eventually fitted my screen along with new GM tracks and rubbers. Pattern rubbers just came loose.

Once I spoke to someone who was previously a fitter at the customer care place in Bedford, he knew exactly what I needed and ordered it all in via Vauxhall. He then booked a two man team to fit. They fitted a GM screen, tracks and rubbers. Very neat job. No mess, not a whisper of wind noise, no problem.

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2019, 18:39:49 »

Original had four edge pieces: 2 sides 1 top 1 bottom, and two rubbers 1 sides AND top 1 bottom.

Later has two edge pieces: 1 sides AND top, 1 bottom and same rubbers as earlier.

Entire frame and rubbers must be fitted to the screen BEFORE the screen is placed on the car :y

Agreed. As I remember it, they referred to the GM metal tracking as the windscreen goalpost due to the rough shape of two sides and a top track.

Coupling the GM tracking with GM rubbers resulted in a satisfying click as the rubbers sank into the track.

Previous attempts with the original track and pattern rubbers led to the rubbers flying loose.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2019, 20:39:56 »

Especially if they tried to fit the rubber after the screen  ::)

The crack on the side window doesn't half wake you up  :o

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2019, 21:21:28 »

I had a new screen via autoglass a couple of months back. There was just one of him. I think he did a proper job. I seem to have new rubber. Its still on after a trip or 30 up the motorway at erm cough 70 mph

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2019, 13:56:53 »

I had a new screen via autoglass a couple of months back. There was just one of him. I think he did a proper job. I seem to have new rubber. Its still on after a trip or 30 up the motorway at erm cough 70 mph
The only way to be sure is to watch them fit it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.