Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 'The' Omega... Progress Diary  (Read 12845 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: 'The' Omega... Progress Diary
« Reply #60 on: 20 November 2014, 15:45:06 »

The whole thing is jolly bizarre DBG. Hope you get it sorted.  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 20 November 2014, 15:48:59 »

That's putting it mildly!!!  ;D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 20 November 2014, 15:52:49 »

I trust you fitted the non-tampered with new throttle body? And still the same?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 20 November 2014, 16:14:26 »

The one from the scrappy with 37k on it, yes.

Actually, though I'm saying I've changed over 'everything', in real terms what I've got 'new'is
the new plenum (which is almost just an empty chamber, with a valve inside if you think about it)
the new TB and
new ICV.

The electrical connector on the rear, EGR, hoses to it are all still original to the car. So in theory if I change back to the original plenum, ICV and throttle body it should be running like before (ie not very good) but I suspect it won't! As is the way with these things...

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 27 November 2014, 09:59:29 »

So....

Last night. Stripped throttle body (the original fitted in the factory, a replacement is currently on the car, the plan being to return to original to the car, once cleaned up as/better than new)

Soaked in various oven cleaners etc and spent a long time with the brillo pads! Also soaked screws in penetrating fluid before removing.

Before...

As you see - when a screw comes out ok. Using the proper tool, with patience, without even the slightest bruising...

And when a screw comes out, using the proper tool, with patience, and the thing just gets completely stuffed in spite of all your care - and you end up fuming mad at yourself.

Managed to Dremel a slot in it, and get it out eventually. Times two. Yep - two of them just got chewed to hell.  :(

And after all that fighting.... one of the screws sheared! That's how tight in it was!  >:(

All dissasembled...

And I don't have any 'after' pics yet. It's still all in bits, and I don't have it as clean as I'd like. So on the hunt for two screws if anyone can help? Also a replacement throttle body adjuster screw, too  :)

In other news I had the door mirror smashed off my daily driver Turbo Weasel, and the rear wing has a healthy ding in it, both done during the night. So, this proves with a bit of hard graft, elbow grease and time... you can have two buggered screws and a damaged car.  >:(

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 28 November 2014, 10:31:29 »

'Before' and 'After' pics...

Just need to source replacement screws, make sure it's adjusted right, and that's one clean throttle body, ready to fit!
« Last Edit: 28 November 2014, 10:33:46 by Diamond Black Geezer »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 28 November 2014, 10:42:33 »

Also found last night a small spark coming from an HT lead (the most inaccessible one, of course ::) ) so the HT leads I have as spares will now definitely be going on. Learned from another thread that a misfire can cause damage to the DIS pack, which, although that's on the cards, and I do have a spare one, I'd rather not actually purposefully damage the one currently on, through lack of maintenance.

So a good night, really. Discovered the source of the 'clickclickclick' noise, and have a nice shiny throttle body, which, touch wood, shouldn't need a thorough cleaning again for many miles to come.

omega3000

« Reply #67 on: 28 November 2014, 13:12:25 »

Can you not get the screws from the scrappy one  :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 28 November 2014, 13:33:38 »

The scrappy one is currently fitted to the car, actually  :)

Basically slight rock and hard place situation, several options...
1-I've got a complete plenum and TB from Missy MV6, from the 3.0... perfectly servicable. I could remove the screws (possibly damaging them of course) from that to install in my own TB.
2-I've got the 37k mile scrappy TB fitted to the car, I could remove the screws from that and fit them to my TB
3-Simply chuck my original TB, and use one of the others as the new 'main' TB

Just for the want of two screws, I would like to get the original TB back on the car, not least of all, because it then leaves me able to sell on the immaculate 37k plenum and TB, saving someone the aggro of repainting theirs. The reason I own a 3.0 long plenum is for when I do the G Cam mod. (When i get some G cams  :y)

omega3000

« Reply #69 on: 28 November 2014, 13:44:58 »

No sweat  ;) Someone will have some maybe , if i had i would send them to you  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 28 November 2014, 13:55:19 »

Ahh, thanks. I've managed to source a few suitable replacements in my Dinner Hour, I'll be posting the results fitted tonight, hopefully.  :)

Got plenty of spares, so might try selling the excess to any members that fancy giving their Throttle Body a good clean, so you don't need to worry about ruining the old screws.  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 05 December 2014, 13:38:32 »

Here's the throttle body screws, also posted in For Sale .... I appear to have perturbed several OOFers by my use on non-standard non-GM hardware!  :D

Anyway, that was last week... this week I've replaced the HT leads.

These have come from the 37k mile scrapyard car. There's good and, well, good, but-not-as-good news... ermm...  ::) Well, HT leads with 37k on them can't be sniffed at, however... it appears they're aftermarket. (no date code, BERU or anything GM) however this means as they've been replaced, therefore they don't even have 37k on them! And presumably much much less! So I'm happy as they were freebies. I may be eating my words once I've got the plenum back on and turned her over again, if she's running terribly, then I know they weren't worth it. (But I was buying the DIS pack anyway, so got the leads thrown in) I have another spare set of GM BERU leads which have lots of miles on them, as a reserve set. Still may treat myself to a set of quality ABS £55 leads, but if she's running fine, then that old 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' adage will most likely come into play.

However, when you see this...

Safe to say the old leads weren't in the best of shape! I'm happy to call it a good evening's work and I'm heading in the right direction  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 11 December 2014, 12:13:38 »

Update on the brake shield I've been working on. Got some - again, off the 37k scrapyard car - in pretty reasonably nick. But rather than just fit them, I thought let's see what we can do here. Originals will only get more scarce, so here we go...

Decent enough, only surface rust

Sadly a day before I came back to remove the shields they'd decided to lay the car on the ground, crushing/bending one of them. Ah well. Pliers and a hammer  :y

After angle grinder and flap wheel.

After applying Holts Rust curing stuff. (Not a fan/don't really believe it works, but it's better than just painting over the rust) and a wet n dry to try and smooth it out.

Someone helpfully decided to put them outside, as they were 'cluttering up the house' - unfortunately inside of houses tend to be dry - outside in winter tends to be damp. So they got surface rust all over.  :( so repeat last two steps again, and then satin black paint...

I'm not actually happy with the finish, but better than before, I hope you'll agree. Also I've got some really good paint on the way, which all underparts will be treat with. (underparts on the car  ;D)

There we go!

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 11 December 2014, 12:24:45 »

Tis only a brake shield mate, but looks a load better than before. no ones going to see it anyway  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 11 December 2014, 13:16:05 »

It's true, it's well out of the way and only be seen my me and the MoT man  :)

But on my lady I'm working off the philosophy / principle that there is no A and B surfaces to the car. Meaning, normally the visible panels would be 'A' surfaces - whereas the underside being 'B' would have more casual smears of paint, overspray, maybe the odd patch of weld, you know the sort of thing. Well not for my baby!  :y

They did this on the Aston One-77, everything unseen, even the routing of the exhaust, brake lines etc was done to look good. You can sort of see that level of detail under the bonnet...

I've also been inspired by the chap who restored a Carlton GSi 3000 - the link I'm temporarily unable to find - but he did the most spankingly good job of it. I realised there was more possible that just doing what's required for the MoT and giving a rusty suspension component a wipe over with an oily rag. Bring her back to factory as far as I can - but on a non-existent budget, too!

Also thanks for the compliment Mr The Bear, more pics when I've got a coat of this super rust resistant paint I've got ordered  :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.