Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega auto box removal ?  (Read 2452 times)

powerslinky

Omega auto box removal ?
« on: 24 November 2014, 19:21:45 »

Still not made up my mind about what to do with the 53 plate 3.2 elite.

If I  break it , I won't remove the engine as a complete unit but may consider that after a lot of bits have been removed from it .

However I would like to take the AR35 out of it .

My questions are :

How messy will this be ?  As I don't want ATF all over my drive :'(

Can you take the box out with minimal mess & the fluid still in it ?  or best to empty it first ?

Presume it is best to take the torque converter out with the box as one

I was searching for  an auto box removal "how to"  in the maintenance section  . . . but could not see anything  :-\

Any tips or advice greatly appriciated  :y      TIA     Al ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Omega auto box removal ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2014, 19:44:39 »

Well Al, I changed mine with lots of help from another forum member (Omegatoy) and I can't remember there being a lot of mess.  However i do remember that you need quite a bit of kit to support stuff safely and two people. The box weighs approx 85kgs

I use a gardeners plastic potting bench tidy (about £10) to catch any mess when doing gearbox top ups and engine oil change etc. Pour into a container and then clean up with sand and then a wipe with a handfull of kitchen towel.

If you emptied it it would be lighter BUT to empty you have to take the sump pan off.

My good low mileage AR35 went to a Spanish scrap yard and is now no doubt a SEAT.
« Last Edit: 24 November 2014, 20:00:28 by Varche »
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2014, 20:14:09 »

Ronald McBurger wrote a guide but he (wrongly) believed that it was OK to leave the torque converter attached to the engine when the gearbox was removed.

This is the nearest I can find to a guide http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1250185620 (scroll down to the 9th post)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2014, 22:14:40 »

get car as high off ground as possible and undo down pipes and then plate on engine that cover torque converter undo gear selector switch and linkage and disconnect harness plugs up behind selector switch area undo bolts(15 or 16mm holding torque converter to plate--turn engine over with socket on crank pulley at front (19mm) undo prop and then jack under box undo mount and lower to undo bolts to engine(16mm iirc) thats about it really 
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2014, 22:28:14 »

get car as high off ground as possible and undo down pipes and then plate on engine that cover torque converter undo gear selector switch and linkage and disconnect harness plugs up behind selector switch area undo bolts(15 or 16mm holding torque converter to plate--turn engine over with socket on crank pulley at front (19mm) undo prop and then jack under box undo mount and lower to undo bolts to engine(16mm iirc) thats about it really

Would also advise that it's quite a lump with converter and a couple of gallons of atf inside :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2014, 23:48:55 »

wouldnt it be easier to take it all out in one go with an engine crane.  ::)

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

powerslinky

« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2014, 06:41:03 »

wouldnt it be easier to take it all out in one go with an engine crane. ::)

Ah . . .   yes good point Jon . . .  thinking about it I may have access to one of those  ;)

Thanks  all for the replies so far  :y

omegapioneer

• Omagh Northern Ireland
    • 97 2.5td Elite auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2014, 08:32:54 »

Dropping auto box isnt too bad when all bolts out and torque converter off plate it only takes to be levered off the location dowels and pulled back about an inch to lower it down and mess can be kept to minimum with torque converter left on box just need to watch when handling box after  as torque converter could slide off shaft I tie across front to prevent this after on ground, as for leaks just loop the oil cooler feed and return pipes that should be the only time any oil escapes and very minimal if done quick both loops of course.
Vx trade club card holder

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2014, 08:34:03 »

have got an engine crane in Luton , available for lending , as am trying to keep indoors until it warms up- then I might use it for its intended use (3 years ago!
), but not got around to it.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2014, 10:12:02 »

Yep, take it out with the torque converter still attached (to the gearbox) and you shouldn't get any significant spillage, but it will be heavy. Certainly a 2 man job.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2014, 10:31:33 »

Is possible with one and a jack and blocks of wood etc.. as I've done it... but by hell, was I gratefull for a mate to be there at various stages. Possible on your own, but you won't believe how heavy it is once it's 'free', and certainly better with two of you.

But except for that top stud, which you will forget to undo, thinking they're all out, it's fine, really. Not a 'bad' job. I'd rather remove a 'box than do a DIS pack  ;)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2014, 18:08:29 »

ive done it twice now  gettin it out is easy[ish] its gettin back that hurts.

powerslinky

« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2014, 18:09:43 »

Is possible with one and a jack and blocks of wood etc.. as I've done it... but by hell, was I gratefull for a mate to be there at various stages. Possible on your own, but you won't believe how heavy it is once it's 'free', and certainly better with two of you.

But except for that top stud, which you will forget to undo, thinking they're all out, it's fine, really. Not a 'bad' job. I'd rather remove a 'box than do a DIS pack  ;)

Def won't be doing it on my own  ;) ;)    Also been offered a lend of an engine hoist ;) from a local Oofer

So may well go down that route . .  . but not touching it now until the new year  :y

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 November 2014, 18:13:51 »

you can do engine and box--its a lot more involved than just box though isnt it--
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2014, 01:14:47 »

Hi Al - I've done two Omega V6 gearbox swaps - basically as symes post #3 above.  As said remove torque converter with box.  Did our changes on drive, front of car on ramps, with large trolley jack to lower g/box, and, in the interests of safety with a second pair of hands ;)  Last time I did one it was around 2½ hours from driving on ramps to driving off.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.