Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with my old Omega?  (Read 2949 times)

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
What to do with my old Omega?
« on: 26 November 2014, 00:49:43 »

Hi there strangers! Good to see the forum still going. :)

I just wanted to sound you guys out when you've a moment. I've got a 2.5 V6 mini facelift Elite from '99 still sitting on the drive and it needs a deserving home. What shall I do with it?

I took my last two Omegas to EMR for end of life recycling. Much better rates then the touring scrapmen that plague the streets (although they're not as common a site as a few years ago), but in this case I wanted to ask what opinions on here are before using that last resort option again.

Being a 15 year old motor it's more of a classic now maybe?

Shall I sell it as is?

Should it be broken for spares?

Shall I scrap it?

Is it worth being used for a project?

Breaking it might seem the option to gain most money, but I don't really have the time or space for that. If somebody else local had space then I could find time maybe? Back in the day a manual gearbox was rare and it'd be a shame to have it crushed. I had one tree surgeon offer to buy it for demolition derby use so really only wanted the shell. He never came back.

Anyway, here's the specs. It's a pale blue S-reg saloon with beige leather seats/trim and a LOT of Elite goodies. It's done about 80k miles and has the 2.5V6 petrol engine with a Manual gearbox. Previous to 2011 it had works done by local mechanics and Timbuk that included a new oil cooler, water pump etc, new cam cover seals, replacement twin pipe exhaust from a 3.0V6 and probably more.

It last spluttered with life in the spring of 2011 before being diagnosed as a blown head gasket. Back then Jamesv6CDX was going to come fix the engine and it'd roar into life again. Oh what a lovely sound. But as that never transpired it has resided on our drive ever since. It has been pushed forward and back occasionally. (I have written about it before, but not for many moons).

I haven't had the pleasure of driving an Omega for nearly four years now! I loved my various V6s, Elites, saloons and estate which is probably why my last one is still sitting on the drive. But needs must, space being the biggest need. The family's growing too!

My driver has been a Vectra diesel Estate that is still going strong and feels nearly as comfy as the old Omega. With an average now of 45mpg I don't miss the petrol bills!

I await your wisdom and help.

Cheers, Dave.
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

omega3000

Re: What to do with my old Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2014, 12:14:51 »

If it were me id just keep it for spares , hoping one comes up nearer to me so i can have a donor car . But looks like you have to scrap unless you put it up for sale first , you never know there could be someone near that will pay more than mr scrappy . Be good if it went to good use though  :y

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2014, 12:42:40 »

Thanks emd, yeah I'd rather it went to good use! Unless I can find somewhere to rest it, I can't keep it for spares anymore. (You may say well it's been sitting there for 3 years, what harm will more months do - tell that to mrs dippy and junior dippys!)

At one point I did have a donor car but again that had to go, and without a workshop, it's not the best arrangement for the front lawn is it!

So maybe i'll put it in the for sale section and see if anybody's interested that way.
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2014, 12:51:04 »

Personally arrange a price for the shell with whoever, scrap man etc.. then break it for spares. Two ways of looking at breaking a car - 1 oh what a crying shame to destroy that Omega. 2 - all those parts are going to keep another Omega on the road for years, even decades, to come. Appreciate you're not exactly flushed with time, or space, but unless you can sort out a donor engine (which would be my preferred no 1 choice) and get it fitted - the car owes you nothing, after all

Option 2 - get in your car, drive up here, to my local scrappy, and take off every part of the 2.5 V6 which has done 37k miles that you can get off, and fill your boot, literally; and then return with all the parts you can possibly need to ressurect your Omega.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2014, 12:53:18 »

Biggest problem is getting the car to the buyer if no mot ect although i seen an ad not so long ago where you could hire car trailer for £100 a day but there are people out there that just buy Omega's ... bloke from nottingham i think name is chris bought mine and all he does is break and sell Omega's  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2014, 13:50:08 »

2.5 headgasket gone at 80K?  :-\  Are you sure it's the HG?  ???  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2014, 14:05:33 »

That's what I thought, actually. I know there's several maladies with the V6 which get wrongly diagnosed as HG.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2014, 16:13:52 »

Well I will throw my two pennworth in.

Sadly it is't worth much. No MOT, hasn't run for ages might have head gasket gone problem . If it was a Mondeo then I would say scrap it and pocket maybe £260 and enjoy the fact it wasn't on your drive anymore.

Being an Elite and having some history and work done to it is a plus but others wise it is still just £260 of scrap in todays market. On time rather than mileage it is due another cambelt change.

I would put it up for sale on the forum for £300 buyer collects. Hopefully the car would then either live on complete or be donor parts (i.e. broken by the buyer with skill, time, space etc) for forum members etc

Here is a similar (admittedly not Elite car) BIN £275 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-CDX-2-2-TOP-SPEC-NO-MOT-CHEAP-CAR-VECTRA-MONDEO-CALIBRA-/191403636539?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c908bb73b

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2014, 18:27:40 »

Makes you realise just how low these cars can sell for  :( They use to say every car with mot was worth £500 , not so sure now . At least you use to be able to buy a car with a bit of road tax , cant even do that now  >:(

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2014, 20:17:11 »

That's what I thought, actually. I know there's several maladies with the V6 which get wrongly diagnosed as HG.

It's just in that S plate region though isn't it.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2014, 20:52:54 »

First dibs on the abs ecu for a fellow member if you break it. Btw You will get a up to £150 for the box and prop if it's an r28 as it's very popular with the kit car market
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2014, 22:14:48 »

Wow, thanks for the replies folks! Great food for thought :)

First dibs on the abs ecu for a fellow member if you break it. Btw You will get a up to £150 for the box and prop if it's an r28 as it's very popular with the kit car market

Sure thing, not sure where the abs ecu is, but can't be that hard to find. I did think the box would be valuable as it used to often revered!

It's just in that S plate region though isn't it.

I went through all the 'is it HG, isn't it' thoughts all those moons ago and did have the usual suspects of oil cooler etc changed/fixed. But the rac man who came out at the time was really sure about his tests and it all pointed to the HG finally....

Well I will throw my two pennworth in.

Sadly it is't worth much. No MOT, hasn't run for ages might have head gasket gone problem . If it was a Mondeo then I would say scrap it and pocket maybe £260 and enjoy the fact it wasn't on your drive anymore.

Being an Elite and having some history and work done to it is a plus but others wise it is still just £260 of scrap in todays market. On time rather than mileage it is due another cambelt change.

I would put it up for sale on the forum for £300 buyer collects. Hopefully the car would then either live on complete or be donor parts (i.e. broken by the buyer with skill, time, space etc) for forum members etc

Here is a similar (admittedly not Elite car) BIN £275 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-CDX-2-2-TOP-SPEC-NO-MOT-CHEAP-CAR-VECTRA-MONDEO-CALIBRA-/191403636539?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c908bb73b

Very helpful Varche, and yes you're very correct about the cambelt!
Biggest problem is getting the car to the buyer if no mot ect although i seen an ad not so long ago where you could hire car trailer for £100 a day but there are people out there that just buy Omega's ... bloke from nottingham i think name is chris bought mine and all he does is break and sell Omega's  :y

If I can find this Chris, I'll certainly be in touch as Nottingham is only 45 miles away....

I just feel very optimistic that my old bluey will be moving on now, thank you....

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2014, 10:21:12 »

So long as it's going to help others, that's a consolation. As I say, though, if you fancied the trek, and begging the time and tools of a fellow OOFer who fancies making a few pennies before Xmas, there's a very good engine just sitting here that will soon be baked bean tins / washing machines. Just don't want you thinking the car can't be resurrected because you can't get the parts, because you could, by the end of the week.

Sorry if I'm adding doubt in your mind, too  :) so long as you do what's best for yourself, feller  :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2014, 11:06:48 »

The chap in Nottingham is probably Nigel Pearson. He has a load of Omega's breaking. I have just bought two doors from him. I have not got any of his cards with me here, unfortunately left them at home.
I'll try to rack my brain for details. Nice bloke good price and good service. :y

Here you go.....

nigel pearson

52,brindley road,
Bilborough
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
NG84BX

United Kingdom
« Last Edit: 27 November 2014, 11:12:29 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

omega3000

« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2014, 19:32:07 »

The chap in Nottingham is probably Nigel Pearson. He has a load of Omega's breaking. I have just bought two doors from him. I have not got any of his cards with me here, unfortunately left them at home.
I'll try to rack my brain for details. Nice bloke good price and good service. :y

Here you go.....

nigel pearson

52,brindley road,
Bilborough
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
NG84BX

United Kingdom

Yep i think thats who bought my old elite  :y Where did i get this chris name from  ;D :D

ted_one

« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2014, 20:16:58 »

Comes up as omegas52 on the Bay of Gay :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2014, 21:13:49 »

Yes, that's right, Ken....that's the fella...I have still got my transaction on this comp :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.