Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Sad news for Opti  (Read 9663 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Sad news for Opti
« Reply #15 on: 04 July 2019, 18:59:16 »

Jimmy......we at OOF only want to hear about your milk float if......

1......It breaks down and you are left stranded in the pissing rain with a flat battery.
2......It catches fire.
3......It does both of the above. ;) :D

excellent post Opti   :y   :D   ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 July 2019, 19:20:40 »

if work where giving you "all the petrol you can drink" for free , would you be driving an EV  ::)

They would, if I let them. I can have a petrol car and a fuel card any time I want. But I get the hump with my tax bill as it is, without adding £8-900 to its monthly total.  :o

I'm not arguing that EV is a good solution for everyone, any more than a 20yr old rusty luxo barge from a budget manufacturer is. But there's too many on here and elsewhere that argue against them on principle, from a position of limited knowledge and often no experience.

On your point re. Electricity Generation. I agree there isn't much spare peak capacity, but that's not at all the same as total generating capacity. You can drive a lot of behaviour via dynamic pricing. For example, if you made petrol 30p/litre cheaper between 11pm and 6am, you'd probably never see a queue at a petrol station again. The same will happen with electricity, dynamic pricing/billing to balance demand. Supplemented by vehicle to grid technology. The concept has already been proved out in Norway and Japan, once again though, we're letting the world pass us by.

Rule Britannia my ar$e  ::)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 July 2019, 19:22:13 »

Actually I've been showing 'interest' in the Tesla 3 Performance.

Nippy little 'appliance' devoid of soul and passion but it least it seems to have a reasonable range (at least for a year or two before the batteries drop to 50% or so)

My next car, if the next 3yrs at work treat me well enough  :y

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 04 July 2019, 19:25:20 »

if work where giving you "all the petrol you can drink" for free , would you be driving an EV  ::)

They would, if I let them. I can have a petrol car and a fuel card any time I want. But I get the hump with my tax bill as it is, without adding £8-900 to its monthly total.  :o

I'm not arguing that EV is a good solution for everyone, any more than a 20yr old rusty luxo barge from a budget manufacturer is. But there's too many on here and elsewhere that argue against them on principle, from a position of limited knowledge and often no experience.

On your point re. Electricity Generation. I agree there isn't much spare peak capacity, but that's not at all the same as total generating capacity. You can drive a lot of behaviour via dynamic pricing. For example, if you made petrol 30p/litre cheaper between 11pm and 6am, you'd probably never see a queue at a petrol station again. The same will happen with electricity, dynamic pricing/billing to balance demand. Supplemented by vehicle to grid technology. The concept has already been proved out in Norway and Japan, once again though, we're letting the world pass us by.

Except every night between 11pm and 6am.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2019, 19:27:10 »

Except there's plenty who wouldn't 'get out of bed' to save £10 per tank.

Admittedly none of them inhabit this forum  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2019, 19:30:12 »

Yep. I imagine many night birds and shift workers would take advantage of such a generous offer. Some supermarkets believe there to be enough 'nocturnal' trade to remain open 24/7.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2019, 19:32:47 »

I see your point, but electricity is different to car fuel. People/companies have no choice but to use and, therefore, buy electricity during the day, so your idea is sound. I, unfortunately, have nowhere to put a charging point, and I wouldn't rely on public ones.

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2019, 19:33:55 »

Yep. I imagine many night birds and shift workers would take advantage of such a generous offer. Some supermarkets believe there to be enough 'nocturnal' trade to remain open 24/7.
They don't pay many staff, though, they use the serve-yourself pay points.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2019, 19:36:33 »

Actually I've been showing 'interest' in the Tesla 3 Performance.

Nippy little 'appliance' devoid of soul and passion but it least it seems to have a reasonable range (at least for a year or two before the batteries drop to 50% or so)

My next car, if the next 3yrs at work treat me well enough  :y

In profile it looks good. Handsome and well formed. Front on it has a 'village idiot' smile which is not really appropriate for a 'performance car'.

Build quality........about as good as American cars. :-\

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2019, 19:42:36 »

I see your point, but electricity is different to car fuel. People/companies have no choice but to use and, therefore, buy electricity during the day, so your idea is sound. I, unfortunately, have nowhere to put a charging point, and I wouldn't rely on public ones.
if you did have somewhere for a charging point, is your supply cut out and DNO cable big enough  :-\

not to worry though , I'm sure every road in the uk will be dug up in the next few years installing new cables ready for are increasing electrical demand  ::)
many cut outs are getting stealth down rated from 100a or 80a to 60a as part of smart meter fitting etc

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2019, 19:54:03 »

I love my current gas guzzler and that is why I keep her.

But, almost all of us is talking about this subject in 2019.  The Government, with some critism that they are not doing it all fast enough, is talking about no new petrol or diesel vehicles after......... wait for it.........2040

Now that is 21 years away, which means a lot will happen before then to resolve any issues about electric or other non-fossil fuel vehicles. Power supplies, charging points, and any other difficulties will not exist in 2040, if not before as it will all be resolved.

Our current cars will be almost totally life expired and either recycled or in a collection. By progression the motor vehicle will naturally change as the younger generations take over, just as 4 star, leaded fuelled vehicles so quickly disappeared, were converted to unleaded, or were scrapped.

That is what happens as new technology evolves, just like when the horse and cart disappeared and the motoring infrastructure we know today developed.

Let us, of advancing years, not get too worked up about it. It will all be ok 'on the day' ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2019, 19:54:41 »

Not quite. In fact they figured that whilst they are paying both to keep the lights on for to people to stack the shelves and those people over night, they might as well keep the doors open and get some money back from all the people who only get to the shops at 2 am ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 July 2019, 20:05:43 »

But, almost all of us is talking about this subject in 2019.  The Government, with some critism that they are not doing it all fast enough, is talking about no new petrol or diesel vehicles after......... wait for it.........2040

Now that is 21 years away, which means a lot will happen before then to resolve any issues about electric or other non-fossil fuel vehicles. Power supplies, charging points, and any other difficulties will not exist in 2040, if not before as it will all be resolved.

Our current cars will be almost totally life expired and either recycled or in a collection. By progression the motor vehicle will naturally change as the younger generations take over, just as 4 star, leaded fuelled vehicles so quickly disappeared, were converted to unleaded, or were scrapped.

That is what happens as new technology evolves, just like when the horse and cart disappeared and the motoring infrastructure we know today developed.

Let us, of advancing years, not get too worked up about it. It will all be ok 'on the day' ;)
:o :o
Lizzie removed from Christmas card list  :(

IF the government start now (which they won't) , they might have most of the infrastructure in place by 2040
disruption in the interim will be horrendous 

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 July 2019, 20:19:06 »

:o :o
Lizzie removed from Christmas card list  :(

IF the government start now (which they won't) , they might have most of the infrastructure in place by 2040
disruption in the interim will be horrendous

Ah, i said "us of advancing years Dave, so I was keeping you and the other youngsters out of that description :D :D ;)

It will also not be the government. It will be the private sector that will do it all for the profits they believe are up for grabs. It was the same for the railways, with private investors being pursuaded (conned) to sink their money into the new technology. ::) :D

« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 20:24:26 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 July 2019, 20:20:42 »

I can't read your reply Lizzie with all these tears in my eyes  :'(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.