Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The "Teach TheBoy to Weld" thread  (Read 9027 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: The "Teach TheBoy to Weld" thread
« Reply #60 on: 22 July 2009, 18:43:56 »

Well, it ain't pretty, and it probably ain't that strong, but I've welded my first 2 bits of steel together with a MIG welder.

I tried belting it with a mallet, but the plate bent instead, so it has some element of strength.

Anything I should specifically check for to check the weld is any good?  Any other advice for improving ?

This was 2mm plate, I guess more normal 1mm is more difficult?
Turn it over and post up another piccy.

Cant beat a bit of penetration....

Ooooo Matron!!   :-[
its an odd shaped bit of metal, can't get camera in and take useful piccy.  Hasn't come through, but a couple of 'heated looking' areas, but not uniform - just patches
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 22 July 2009, 19:17:12 »

Well, it ain't pretty, and it probably ain't that strong, but I've welded my first 2 bits of steel together with a MIG welder.

I tried belting it with a mallet, but the plate bent instead, so it has some element of strength.

Anything I should specifically check for to check the weld is any good?  Any other advice for improving ?

This was 2mm plate, I guess more normal 1mm is more difficult?

I can compare it to my bit of vertical stick/arc/MMA/whatever-you-want-to call-it the other day it work! That wasn't pretty either!  ::)  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 22 July 2009, 19:19:55 »

Yep, lets see the penetration.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 22 July 2009, 19:25:41 »

Can't get a pic. Nothing come through on back, but a couple of inconsistent areas that look like they've got hot.

Would I be better off cutting off 2 bits, and butting them up together and welding them together?

Is there a better way to cutting it rather than angle grinder - eating up discs ;D. Its around 2-2.5mm thick
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 22 July 2009, 19:26:21 »

Can't get a pic. Nothing come through on back, but a couple of inconsistent areas that look like they've got hot.

Would I be better off cutting off 2 bits, and butting them up together and welding them together?

Is there a better way to cutting it rather than angle grinder - eating up discs ;D. Its around 2-2.5mm thick
Is that not enough penetration?
Grumpy old man

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 22 July 2009, 19:26:42 »

Hmm might have to get the mig set out and have a play myself.
We could turn it into an OOF college sort of thing.
First one to build something useful wins.  ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • M/facelift 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 22 July 2009, 20:13:16 »

I built the car on the left !

do I win   :D
The faster you go the bigger the grin.  Trade card user.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 23 July 2009, 23:45:05 »

From your last picture you have a bit of "Spatter" which means your wire speed is slightly to high.
I could be wrong but from the picture you maybe welding the wrong way.... meaning welding into the pool..
e.g if your right handed, you have your two pieces of metal clamped together to hold them. Put a tack each end. Then start from the right welding left, holding your torch on a slight angle. This way also you can see the join you need to be welding.

Lefthanded, go from left to right.

You can tell by listening to your car if it is running rightly or wrongly..... and so you can with a welder.

The sound needs to be a nice Crackling sound, not spitting ( wire speed to fast) or a fizzing sort of noise (when wire speed to slow). I would suggest 5-6 mm steel to start with, you can press the trigger on a piece whilst you play with the controls to get the sound right :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

p j morgan

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 24 July 2009, 02:44:15 »

well said daz! :y

albitz

« Reply #69 on: 24 July 2009, 05:57:20 »

Sounds like a remix of a 1970,s New Seekers song.
Id like to teach the boy to weld
to weld a perfect bead.................. :)

Debs.

« Reply #70 on: 24 July 2009, 06:43:40 »

Sounds like a remix of a 1970,s New Seekers song.
Id like to teach the boy to weld
to weld a perfect bead.................. :)

:y  :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 24 July 2009, 08:15:59 »

Well last night, I did a shed load of welding.

Fixed the step back onto a JCB (they really are poorly built). Took a lot of welding and a lot of bending as it had been smashed off when the digger was driven past a set of buffers whilst not allowing enough clearance so was very bent!

Also did some more welding on an 08 exhaust, got a bit mroe to do to that one yet to finish it.

Tonight, I am fabricating a repair piece for an Atco Admiral rotary mower so will be striking the welder up again!
« Last Edit: 24 July 2009, 08:19:35 by Mark »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 24 July 2009, 08:18:06 »

From your last picture you have a bit of "Spatter" which means your wire speed is slightly to high.I could be wrong but from the picture you maybe welding the wrong way.... meaning welding into the pool..
e.g if your right handed, you have your two pieces of metal clamped together to hold them. Put a tack each end. Then start from the right welding left, holding your torch on a slight angle. This way also you can see the join you need to be welding.

You can tell by listening to your car if it is running rightly or wrongly..... and so you can with a welder.

The sound needs to be a nice Crackling sound, not spitting ( wire speed to fast) or a fizzing sort of noise (when wire speed to slow). I would suggest 5-6 mm steel to start with, you can press the trigger on a piece whilst you play with the controls to get the sound right :y

Possibly, but can also be due to contaminants or no shield gas.

Hence why I wanted to see the penetration because if the power was about right then the a wire speed set to fast would push the wire through the weld pool.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2009, 08:18:55 by Mark »

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 24 July 2009, 08:36:36 »

Well last night, I did a shed load of welding.

Fixed the step back onto a JCB (they really are poorly built). Took a lot of welding and a lot of bending as it had been smashed off when the digger was driven past a set of buffers whilst not allowing enough clearance so was very bent!

Also did some more welding on an 08 exhaust, got a bit mroe to do to that one yet to finish it.

Tonight, I am fabricating a repair piece for an Atco Admiral rotary mower so will be striking the welder up again!
We all know why ::) ;D
Retired

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 24 July 2009, 09:54:53 »

From your last picture you have a bit of "Spatter" which means your wire speed is slightly to high.I could be wrong but from the picture you maybe welding the wrong way.... meaning welding into the pool..

Possibly, but can also be due to contaminants or no shield gas.

Hence why I wanted to see the penetration because if the power was about right then the a wire speed set to fast would push the wire through the weld pool.
Power was set according to the Clarke instructions for 2mm mild steel.  co2 was set to around 3 on their scale, and it was done in the garage with garage door shut to reduce the chance of wind being a problem.

Hopefully over weekend I will get time just to simply weld 2 bits of plate together, so both sides can be photo'd.

What I did notice was I struggled to get a decent 'pool' going like you showed me, and often the the weld would form on top of the metal, rather than in it.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.