Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater Fan/Blower Does Not Run  (Read 3809 times)

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
Heater Fan/Blower Does Not Run
« on: 12 June 2019, 21:55:23 »

Omega 2003 2.6 Facelift

Suddenly stopped working today

All digital display/functions operate normally but the heater blower will not  run at all i think i hear a very low creaky sound when i turn the heater system on and off  but the blower/fan will not operate  my system is the climate control type.
Any Ideas any fuses or  is it parts required...
Thank you in Advance
Dave
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: Heater Fan/Blower Does Not Run
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2019, 22:47:39 »

First check is to ensure the fault isnt with the fan motor ,so Ideally you need to put a direct battery feed across the 2 wires .

Most likely culprit is the fan motor controller..called hedgehog from its appearance,which tends to be the week link in the chain.It fails with age but also by water which can get in from the scuttle becoming blocked especially after recent biblical rain ..

Ideally remove glove box and carry out the motor checking first..if fan works with direct feed then replace hedgehog,but ensure scuttle is draining propely or you will be doing it all again.

All covered in maintanance section.

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2019, 23:10:54 »

Hi thanks for the information much appreciated...
can you please advise if it  this one   https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332809206421?chn=ps

if it is at fault i would prefer a vauxhall part but i doubt they would still make them due to my cars age any advice on where to get a good one from would welcome
thanks
Dave
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2019, 09:33:02 »

Hi How do i test it......  is it a long wire from the main battery say the live and touch both motor connectors on the hedghog ... sorry i am not technical  :-[

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2019, 10:50:33 »

Yes the part you identified is the "Hedgehog" or fan speed controller.There isn't a test you can perform on the actual unit so for the cost it is generally accepted as just to replace.

Don't connect any live feeds through that unit though.!!!

If you remove the glove box and section of ducting you will see 2 thick wires going into the motor unit..1 is red and other is black..They will un plug from the hedgehog giving you access to both wires which have spade connectors on the ends .That will allow you to run a direct live and negative wire feed from the battery ONLY to the fan that way you can establish that the fan works with 12 volts.Only use those 2 wires though.

I almost certainly suspect the fan isn't the issue but needs to be checked to ensure it does work.Once you have established the fan is ok and turns freely with a direct 12 volt feed you would then be wise replacing the hedgehog unit as per the maintenance guide.

Go carefully and its quite straight forward although access from the passenger side footwell whilst you are looking up behind the dash is quite akward but doable.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2019, 11:04:24 »

Before buying anything, just check fan isn't seized - if the scuttle drain is blocked, rain water can get into fan unit, and the bearings seize.

As others have said, if the fan runs freely with 12v across it, replace the speed controller "hedgehog"
Grumpy old man

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2019, 11:14:26 »

Yes the part you identified is the "Hedgehog" or fan speed controller.There isn't a test you can perform on the actual unit so for the cost it is generally accepted as just to replace.

Don't connect any live feeds through that unit though.!!!

If you remove the glove box and section of ducting you will see 2 thick wires going into the motor unit..1 is red and other is black..They will un plug from the hedgehog giving you access to both wires which have spade connectors on the ends .That will allow you to run a direct live and negative wire feed from the battery ONLY to the fan that way you can establish that the fan works with 12 volts.Only use those 2 wires though.

I almost certainly suspect the fan isn't the issue but needs to be checked to ensure it does work.Once you have established the fan is ok and turns freely with a direct 12 volt feed you would then be wise replacing the hedgehog unit as per the maintenance guide.

Go carefully and its quite straight forward although access from the passenger side footwell whilst you are looking up behind the dash is quite akward but doable.
The red wire is the motor positive and has a 3/16" female terminal.
The brown wire is the motor negative and has a 1/4" female terminal. The fan I have here has a brown wire but I suppose some revisions might be black. Whatever colour the negative is it should have a 1/4" terminal as that corresponds to motor neg on the base of the hedgehog.

Disconnect the two motor wires from the hedgehog before testing the motor.
Be careful removing/replacing the hedgehog as it's easy to break one or both of the plastic clips that secure it in place. The clips aren't repairable or replaceable and there is limited room for a workaround.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2019, 11:32:42 »

As I said in an earlier post this week ,don't break the retaining plastic clips.You need three hands to do this and only space for one.Best of luck :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2019, 11:37:04 »

By the way where did that post earlier this week about hedgehogs go?

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2019, 12:13:27 »

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2019, 12:15:03 »

Hibernating, it,s bloody cold enough. :D

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2019, 12:51:28 »

WOW thanks for all your advice :y :y .... will try this tomorrow have a part number (90512510) includes air con climate control as my unit is .. from vauxhall in manchester abd the part is available for £35

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2019, 18:18:36 »

it got flattened

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2019, 21:53:14 »

Managed  to test the resistor .... faulty... blower works great with a direct feed to the battery.. gave up trying to remove the resistor lol  damn my body n arms cant bend that much lol  disconnected it  might have a go tomorrow or somebody else do it ... i see 2 lugs either side im guessing they have to be pushed outwards while pulling the unit out... if so hard to do unless they have a tool.... any tips lol

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2019, 22:15:17 »

If you push 1 tang first and wedge a thin blade screw driver or similar  to stop it closing you then can get the other tang with your fingers and gently rock the base and the entire body will come out of the housing .

Its 1 of the jobs that 3 hands would be usefull  ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.