Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Poll

Should I get my new Omega LPG Converted?

Yes, DIY with Martin's help - £600
- 20 (64.5%)
Yes, pro conversion, £1300
- 3 (9.7%)
No, don't bother
- 8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG my new Omega?  (Read 6439 times)

Taxi_Driver

Re: LPG my new Omega?
« Reply #60 on: 21 September 2007, 22:23:20 »

A mate of mine had something called "torpedo tanks" fitted, went behind the cills on his Disco, can these be fitted to a meega ??

Just a thought ... :(
No...

Just to expand on Jaimes correct answer.....under sill or under wheel arch tanks can only be fitted on hight up vehicles.....ie 4x4's for example....you have to have the clearance underneath to take them.

Omega wise.....saloon....big tank in the boot.....taking up to 1/3 of the space (70L tank) or estate like mine....raise the boot floor up a couple of inches and you can get a donut tank in (38L tank)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 21 September 2007, 22:24:32 »

A mate of mine had something called "torpedo tanks" fitted, went behind the cills on his Disco, can these be fitted to a meega ??

Just a thought ... :(
No...

Just to expand on Jaimes correct answer.....under sill or under wheel arch tanks can only be fitted on hight up vehicles.....ie 4x4's for example....you have to have the clearance underneath to take them.

Omega wise.....saloon....big tank in the boot.....taking up to 1/3 of the space (70L tank) or estate like mine....raise the boot floor up a couple of inches and you can get a donut tank in (38L tank)
My answer was just more concise ;D

Sorry, I was in a hurry  :-[
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 21 September 2007, 22:24:44 »

2 words - heating gas

The business of getting it into your car isn't trivial though, and it'd be a bit suspicious for me to be using tons of LPG for heating when I've got a natural gas supply for that :-/

Another 2 (buzz) words - Carbon Neutral...

Ah, Ruth Kelly and her "Zero Carbon Homes". Clearly no-one in government understands thermodynamics. I guess they'll each have a nuclear reactor humming away in the cupboard under the stairs.

and easiest way to do that is to increase the tax.

It's the only way the government will go. Anything else might require them to listen to experts (ones that haven't been previously paid off to toe the line) and make difficult long term decisions. Far less risky to whack up the tax and let people figure out their own way to avoid going broke or getting hypothermia  ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21 September 2007, 23:30:23 »

Re the vertical tanks in the spare wheel well, well several of the major supliers are still selling them, Tinsley Tech, WTV, and Fesautogas, and there is no mention of a new ruleing on the LPGA website. It might be because the suplier didn't have any in, and he wouldn't make as much profit if he had to buy one. Yes, its true you can't remove the NS bulb cluster if you have a tank in the spare well, but you could reach the securing nuts and unscrew the light assembly so could gain access that way. It would be a pain, but how often do these bulbs go ?. Mine haven't gone in the almost 2 years of owning the car, so it might be a pain every couple of years if a bulb goes but........  Hi TB, 'Wet Fart Juice' no its ok, before it reaches the engine, it passes thro a filter (to remove any bits), and then thro an evaporator to turn the 'wet fart juice' into 'Dry Fart Juice', which runs nicely. Don't forget during one of the wars, they used to run cars on Methane Gas, although how they collected it from cows is anybody's guess !.
Cheers Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #64 on: 21 September 2007, 23:37:21 »

So far

12 for DIY conversion
3 for Pro
7 for not bother.

It doesn't really matter what people vote. It's your car, your set of circumstances and, most importantly, your money ;)

Agreed . And its your risk.

Only an idea proffesional job will be safer than DIY..As they have equipments to measure even small leaks .

I have used  LPG in the past with my previous car.Economy is really good (beginning)  
But if you start using the car more (happened to me) economy will be worser than before (from the parts)

Soapy water works well and you can spend longer and do a neater job

Sorry but soapy water cant be sensitive as gas sensor devices ..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21 September 2007, 23:44:44 »

I'm sure anyone who was going to sign their name on an LPG certification would be just as thorough (if not more so) checking a DIY install as they would one of their own.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21 September 2007, 23:51:30 »

Oh I nearly forgot, leak testing, when I was at Night School learning how to weld properly, we were taught to use soap and water for checking Gas setups. Then they brought out a 'Leak Testing Spray', which was basically soap and water !. Also for those in the electronics environment we used to use IPA to clean solder flux from PCBs. Then Health and Safety banned the use of of this, so we had to start using Aerosol sprays, the main constuant of which was............ IPA !!!.
Life seems to go round in ever decreasing circles !, all these politicians who don't really have a clue about reality, making up rules that are meaningless/impossible to meet. All this stuff about Global Warming, its actually Climate Change. We are spending a fortune on insulating our homes to meet the new 0.3 thermal standard in case it gets colder, but there is a good chance that things will get warmer, so sod SEDBUK A boilers, we will all need Air Cons, presumably to a similar standard !.
Cheers Ken

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #67 on: 22 September 2007, 00:01:09 »

I'm sure anyone who was going to sign their name on an LPG certification would be just as thorough (if not more so) checking a DIY install as they would one of their own.

Kevin

I must admit that I have bad memories finding this leak with standard practices...(another long story visiting many services)
The winner was the gas sensor device which proved I was right saying this car has leakage somewhere else..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 22 September 2007, 00:04:28 »

Oh I nearly forgot, leak testing, when I was at Night School learning how to weld properly, we were taught to use soap and water for checking Gas setups. Then they brought out a 'Leak Testing Spray', which was basically soap and water !. Also for those in the electronics environment we used to use IPA to clean solder flux from PCBs. Then Health and Safety banned the use of of this, so we had to start using Aerosol sprays, the main constuant of which was............ IPA !!!.
Life seems to go round in ever decreasing circles !, all these politicians who don't really have a clue about reality, making up rules that are meaningless/impossible to meet. All this stuff about Global Warming, its actually Climate Change. We are spending a fortune on insulating our homes to meet the new 0.3 thermal standard in case it gets colder, but there is a good chance that things will get warmer, so sod SEDBUK A boilers, we will all need Air Cons, presumably to a similar standard !.
Cheers Ken

... And with every round of new red tape everything gets more expensive, the country gets less productive and more UK jobs go to China and India... where they don't give a sh!t about health and safety or the mythical "Climate Change".

Kevin

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #69 on: 22 September 2007, 00:16:18 »

By the way looking in the number of views (600 and somethin)   :o  its seems half of the site is potential customer for LPG kits   ;D

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 22 September 2007, 00:20:56 »

"Sorry but soapy water cant be sensitive as gas sensor devices .. "
Does this matter ?. Its all well having something that can measure fractions of a part per million of hydrocarbon, but if someone farts this will upset the reading. The jointing technique used is to flare the pipe end and screw it into a fixing. This is the same technique I have been using for many years to make up brake pipes for several cars and they don't leak, and I would suggest the pressures involved in brake pipes is many times that in LPG feed pipes. The accepted Gas checking system is to pressurise the system, wait for a while and recheck for a drop. The LPG installation has a small volume, and is mainly liquid, so the soapy water check is as good a check as any.
Cheers Ken

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #71 on: 22 September 2007, 00:47:22 »

Well.It doesnt..Even your nose can tell if things go wrong..(or if somebody farts - I like that  ;D)

But the facts here (in my country-After the installation you are on your own) push us to be extremely careful because its meaningless to have OK certificate (very easy to take) when you blow up to the sky.

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 22 September 2007, 01:00:36 »

I think well engineered cars like the Omega are inheriently safe. because they are over-engineered to be so. If you had a leak like some people are noticing with the petrol pump pipes, you smell the petrol, but there are no combustion sources around to start a fire. All electrical connetions in the vacinity are well made and should not spark, so no ignition. If there was a gas leak, and the car was traveling, then any escaping gas would be dissapated by the air flow, and when you are parked, the solenoid at the gas tank should stop any fluid/gas flow from the tank, so the only possibilty will be the fluid/gas in the pipes. I only hope all these 'boxes' from foreign parts are similarly well designed.
Cheers Ken

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #73 on: 22 September 2007, 09:53:53 »

So far

12 for DIY conversion
3 for Pro
7 for not bother.

It doesn't really matter what people vote. It's your car, your set of circumstances and, most importantly, your money ;)

Agreed . And its your risk.

Only an idea proffesional job will be safer than DIY..As they have equipments to measure even small leaks .

I have used  LPG in the past with my previous car.Economy is really good (beginning)  
But if you start using the car more (happened to me) economy will be worser than before (from the parts)

Soapy water works well and you can spend longer and do a neater job

Ahhh.....you mean those spray tins.....thats labelled as LPG leak detection spray.....that the lpg installer used on mine to track down a lpg leak. Blokey using it said to me 'its just soapy water really but the boss pays a fortune for them coz it looks good in front of customers'  ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #74 on: 22 September 2007, 10:55:15 »

Marketing theory says cover is more important than whats inside.. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.