Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Extractor fan wiring  (Read 4473 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Extractor fan wiring
« on: 28 November 2018, 15:05:42 »

Seeing as there are some exitable responses on the other electric advice thread I thought I would throw my question in to the hat for your amusement/vitriol/candour :D

I have an in-line ceiling extractor fan wired in to the bathroom.  It's a 21/33W 100mm fan wired up in timer mode on a 3 pole throw switch.  The house is 5 years old so I assume the sparky that installed the house electrics did so to Part P.

I would like to add a second fan because I like extremely hot showers followed by the Army tradition of wet-shaving which requires the use of a mirror.  This is often steamed up so I am exploring the addition of a second additional fan.  I will obviously need a vent on the door to allow the extra air in to replace that which is sucked out but my question is this.  Can I simply wire it in in parallel, i.e. similar to a spur wiring on a socket?  I will acquire an identical fan and wire it the same but not sure on the legalities of this.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2018, 15:07:44 by Gaffers »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Extractor fan wiring
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2018, 15:24:09 »

In my professional opinion .....

you should leave well alone and just grow a beard and take cold showers :y

get a better fan ,suitably IP rated, trim the bottom of the door so the gap allows decent air flow in (rather than fit a vent ,which would look pants )
again, call in a professional (bathroom is special location) if you are not 100% sure 

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2018, 15:26:24 »

An alternative solution to your steaming problem could be a heated mirror, often incorporating a cabinet behind it as a bonus storage space.
No link for you, but a quick look on ebay might help.

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2018, 15:28:28 »

Does anyone know how to wire a heated mirror in?  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2018, 15:39:23 »

again, call in a professional (bathroom is special location) new circuit ,possibly in zone 2, building control notifiable    :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2018, 15:44:07 »

An alternative solution to your steaming problem could be a heated mirror, often incorporating... to open the window.

FTFY. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2018, 15:44:32 »

again, call in a professional (bathroom is special location) new circuit ,possibly in zone 2, building control notifiable    :y
It was a jest, Dave. Wire a heated mirror to save you wiring an extractor fan. Get it? Never mind.  :-X

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2018, 15:47:21 »

I have just had a new extractor fitted by an electrical contractor hired by our housing association.

It is an envirovent filterless infinity Fan SELV and is brilliant, and British made.

It runs slowly all the time in a trickle mode, then increases steadily, automatically, as the humidity in the bathroom increases.  Once the humidity is down to normal levels, it goes back to a steady trickle of extraction.  It uses 50 times less power than a 100w light bulb, equalling £2.41 per year (at average cost of electric) on trickle, and this increases to just £3.18 per year when on boost mode for 2 hours, and trickle for 22 hours, per day.

Our local Borough Council is also fitting them in their properties. ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2018, 15:53:53 »

It was a jest, Dave. Wire a heated mirror to save you wiring an extractor fan. Get it? Never mind.  :-X

:D ;D
I know, but this is the internet
without clarification , someone might think a heated mirror a loophole solution to steam in a bathroom that does not require correct installation and documentation or expense of a sparky  :P
opening a window  ,as Mr Wood kindly suggested is one solution
but the burglars would steal your shower gel  :(

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2018, 15:56:15 »

I have just had a new extractor fitted by an electrical contractor hired by our housing association.

It is an envirovent filterless infinity Fan SELV and is brilliant, and British made.

It runs slowly all the time in a trickle mode, then increases steadily, automatically, as the humidity in the bathroom increases.  Once the humidity is down to normal levels, it goes back to a steady trickle of extraction.  It uses 50 times less power than a 100w light bulb, equalling £2.41 per year (at average cost of electric) on trickle, and this increases to just £3.18 per year when on boost mode for 2 hours, and trickle for 22 hours, per day.

Our local Borough Council is also fitting them in their properties. ;)
That would be about 2w, according to my calculations.  ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2018, 16:01:57 »

An alternative solution to your steaming problem could be a heated mirror, often incorporating... to open the window.

I find that can make the situation worse, especially if it is cold outside.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2018, 16:03:47 »

An alternative solution to your steaming problem could be a heated mirror, often incorporating a cabinet behind it as a bonus storage space.
No link for you, but a quick look on ebay might help.

Ron.

I would love one but as Dave says the sparky work involed would likely be significant and I am a tight Yorkshireman at heart.

It's on the list for the mansion house in the US ;)

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2018, 16:04:18 »

Now that the central heating is on, we should try and humidify the house. Leave the bathroom door open. Easy Peasy.  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2018, 16:09:22 »

Now that the central heating is on, we should try and humidify the house. Leave the bathroom door open. Easy Peasy.  ;D
:o heating on  :o
you know that costs money  :-\
is the snow that deep further up north  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2018, 16:12:42 »

:o heating on  :o
you know that costs money  :-\
is the snow that deep further up north  ;D
Another one of my quirks. Thermostat set to 22, left on all year. When it's warm, heating off, when it's cold, heating on. Works for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.