Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega diesels and the future...  (Read 3497 times)

Mr Lucky

• Durham
    • Hyundai i10
    • View Profile
Omega diesels and the future...
« on: 14 February 2018, 12:02:32 »

I am currently in the search for a decent Omega diesel auto estate. However as I do more research and look into both Omegas and diesels I am starting to shy away from them. The reason for this sudden bout of cold feet? The new MOT test requirements and government hatred of diesels as shown by the latest news on increased vehicle tax.

I'm seeing a lot of decatted cars and cars with particulate filters removed, cars with performance exhaust systems on them too. Will this new legislation be the death knell for secondhand diesels and will we see the price of cat-back exhausts shoot up?

I am starting to think about a decent petrol auto estate with LPG...

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Omega diesels and the future...
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2018, 12:45:44 »

I am currently in the search for a decent Omega diesel auto estate. However as I do more research and look into both Omegas and diesels I am starting to shy away from them. The reason for this sudden bout of cold feet? The new MOT test requirements and government hatred of diesels as shown by the latest news on increased vehicle tax.

I'm seeing a lot of decatted cars and cars with particulate filters removed, cars with performance exhaust systems on them too. Will this new legislation be the death knell for secondhand diesels and will we see the price of cat-back exhausts shoot up?

Wise man. :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2018, 12:56:20 »

If you're looking at an Omega, all the diesel models are a poor option in comparison to an LPG'd petrol model, assuming LPG is available in your area, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2018, 12:59:07 »

Yep.....derv is dead in the water........although nearly every main dealer will say otherwise primarily because they have a shit load of 'lorry fuel' cars hanging around that they need to be shot of. :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2018, 13:15:36 »

Omega, Diesel and Auto means you can only get 2.5 TD BMW lump, which was only briefly in the facelift version and dropped in 2000. So youngest example you are looking at will be 17/18 years old.

Given the power output and the AR25 box, most now will be very tired even if you are lucky enough to find one.

Yep.....derv is dead in the water........although nearly every main dealer will say otherwise primarily because they have a shit load of 'lorry fuel' cars hanging around that they need to be shot of. :)

So bargins to be had  :y

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2018, 13:18:50 »

Not sure any Omega diesel had a DPF though?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2018, 13:22:02 »

Not sure any Omega diesel had a DPF though?

No they didn't.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2018, 14:19:27 »

Omega, Diesel and Auto means you can only get 2.5 TD BMW lump, which was only briefly in the facelift version and dropped in 2000. So youngest example you are looking at will be 17/18 years old.

Given the power output and the AR25 box, most now will be very tired even if you are lucky enough to find one.

So bargins to be had :y

If I could buy a car running on dumper truck fuel for literally 'buttons'.......perhaps I could be tempted to use it as a 'don't give a shit about it' workhorse.

It would need to be beyond cheap though. :)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2018, 16:00:41 »

it depends on what you are used to of course but ive never found my 2.6 to be particularly bad on fuel and my brothers 2.5 v6 is even better. i can easily manage 100 mile out of £20 which is good by my book.he can manage 110-115. my other cars with the cam in head cast iron engine (2litre/2.2)get around 75 miles .around town. better on runs of course. yes small modern euroboxes will probably triple that but thats the price for luxury driving.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2018, 16:39:25 »

Dont get a 2.5TD Auto, there rubbish on mpg, 3.2 Auto or 3.0 Manual with LPG is the way to go. :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2018, 17:49:05 »

Dont get a 2.5TD Auto, there rubbish on mpg, 3.2 Auto or 3.0 Manual with LPG is the way to go. :y

Although they will run on a 50/50 mixture of diesel and vegoil. Which doubles the mpg figure.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2018, 18:05:13 »

« Last Edit: 14 February 2018, 18:07:16 by zirk »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2018, 18:39:00 »

Would the Omega be affected by this new legislation?Are the new rules that retrospective?

Mr Lucky

• Durham
    • Hyundai i10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2018, 20:15:43 »

I posted this response in the wrong thread (because I am a dumbass!) but I'll say it again here.

I am a fan of LPG, having owned 3 LPG cars in the past. LPG around here is available. However the cost of conversion is prohibitive and would probably cost me again what I would pay for the Omega.

I would like an Elite estate with an auto box. I reckon 1.5 to 2k to buy. Then another 1.5k-2k for the LPG. Its going to hurt the purse and I won't see the benefits for many moons.

£1700 will get me a lot of unleaded.

It seems LPG would still cost me about a grand if I did it myself and to be honest, although I'm not a bad home mechanic I don't think I am anywhere near the standard required to fit an LPG kit...

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2018, 20:45:42 »

I don't know if there are any in your neck of the woods,but I believe some on here have done their own installs of LPG,perhaps they could advize?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.