Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Grenfell inquiry  (Read 9651 times)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Grenfell inquiry
« on: 21 May 2018, 18:21:05 »

>:( I see the BBC are already gearing up for a "victim" overload , be prepared for months , possibly years ? of hand wringing and finger pointing ( at the government no doubt) what ever happened to suffering in silence ? sad thing is that the fire is probably going to be the best thing to happen to some of the survivors , P.T.S.D- can't work -benefits . Criminal behaviour? not my fault -trauma . The only people to benefit out of this sham will be , as ever, the legal profession . By the time it's all over they could have bought all the survivors a house with the money spent on these shitehawks (sorry "Legal representatives" )  >:(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Grenfell inquiry
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2018, 21:27:24 »

+1.

I think there's enough money in the fund that was set up in the survivors names to buy them all a house, and change left, but the trustee's and other hangers on, will soon lose all them millions.
Hoof'land storeman.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2018, 22:01:57 »

Difficult one this methinks.
Whilst I have utmost and genuine sympathy for the families that lived in the tower and lost loved ones I can't but feel that there is a disproportionate amount of airtime being given to the whole thing.
I listened to a reviewer of the papers on Sky this morning who lamented the fact that the victims of the Manchester bombing ,which was year ago today, were virtually being denied any recognition due to the louder voices of the Grenfell tower debacle.
She quite rightly said that if she was a mother of a bombing victim she would be very angry that she was not being given the route to answers given to them.
It's all very sad but we are living in a compenstion culture now and I feel that that  is certainly part fuelling the drive for " answers ".
That aside there are many questions, that although glaringly obvious ,will conveniently go unanswered with no responsibility or cumulative blame attributed .
It's the British way unfortunatly.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2018, 22:08:59 »

It's not just compensation, it's the vigils, the outpouring of grief displayed by people who have nothing at all to do with it. People used to listen to the news, comment of how sad it was and moved on. Now they want to own it.
And blame.....someone has to be at fault. There are no accidents any more.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2018, 22:39:47 »

I'd agree that the disaster has been hijacked by some very voiciferous members of a narrow ethnic diversity many with a very tenuous connection to the actual circle of victims and event.
Some would suggest that the type of grief that has and still is being displayed is more aligned with that same ethnic diversity , I think it is certainly been used to a great advantage by those I previously mentioned.
I do believe that somewhere along the shady path from manufacture to certification and ultimately acceptance and installation that that material was known to be not just unsuitable but dangerous and unfit for purpose. As I said a few questions answered would tell the truth on the ģreed , deception, dereliction of duty and possible corporate manslaughter wrapped up in it all.
I don't believe we'll get them though, too many rich and powerful people walked that shady path.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2018, 01:18:40 »

Presumably everyone involved was insured... :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2018, 06:43:18 »

It's not just compensation, it's the vigils, the outpouring of grief displayed by people who have nothing at all to do with it. People used to listen to the news, comment of how sad it was and moved on. Now they want to own it.

Very well put Stemo , my view entirely.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2018, 08:03:44 »

They said 77 people died, how comes when there's any form of meeting, it seems to involve a few hundred, that all seem to be, not from the social or ethnic classes, that lived there, ,

If we had some form of cleansing or cull, we need a leader with vision,and a no nonsense attitude.
Hoof'land storeman.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2018, 08:21:14 »

I too find the endless shrines and vigils that appear to accompany any disaster these days pretty distasteful. If I had lost a relative in that fire, I think I'd be desperate to move on with my life by now but that's apparently not allowed.

That notwithstanding, those who compromised the fire safety of that building do need to be held to account.

I'm no architect but it seems obvious to me that a building of that nature has safety designed in by virtue of having no combustible material bridging any of the floors, dwelling units or on the escape route out of the building.

If it had been left as it was originally built, I'm fairly sure that fire would have been contained with no or very few fatalities.

The problem is that, instead of accepting that it's an old building that falls short of modern standards in terms of energy efficiency and, in some eyes, appearance, we have pandered to the tree huggers and tried to "upgrade" these buildings without understanding the original design. For that, once all the wailing has subsided, I do hope that we see some some heads roll. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2018, 08:36:43 »

I'm with you on the first part.

And mostly with the blame. But in the case of Grenfell, lessons do need to be made public.

First is that high-rise buildings are a death trap once they catch fire. There is nothing that will improve this. This isn't news to anyone with a practical bent, but it has been kept quiet. 

Second, at Grenfell somebody made that much worse by the ill-considered use of external cladding, and compounded the error by using combustible materials. That is the real purpose of such inquiries; such ignorance and incompetence is inexcusable and making the causes public ought to reduce the likelihood of repeating them.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2018, 10:37:10 »

I'm with you on the first part.

And mostly with the blame. But in the case of Grenfell, lessons do need to be made public.

First is that high-rise buildings are a death trap once they catch fire. There is nothing that will improve this. This isn't news to anyone with a practical bent, but it has been kept quiet. 

Second, at Grenfell somebody made that much worse by the ill-considered use of external cladding, and compounded the error by using combustible materials. That is the real purpose of such inquiries; such ignorance and incompetence is inexcusable and making the causes public ought to reduce the likelihood of repeating them.
I agree, and I would be happy to hear the outcome of any enquiry. But the news outlets apportion all the blame themselves, in a drip, drip, drip feed of news over a number of years. They commission 'experts' to set fire to stuff, in totally inappropriate situations, then scream how shite the materials are and how uncaring the manufacturers are.
News channels in general, and the BBC in particular, are becoming extensions of social media platforms. They even show screenshots of twitter and arsebook, reinforcing the ramblings of every tosser who thinks they are an expert on the subject. And, of course, how they're feeling about events at the time.
PAH!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2018, 11:26:16 »

I still agree with you. Such inquiries must be public and open. But including two weeks of testimony from the victim's(and that's the proper use of the word) families does nothing useful that a board with their names and photos couldn't achieve. These things should be run and staffed only by people with relevant expertise to determine why the obvious causes of the disaster were allowed to stack up, and to suggest ways of preventing them happening again. Unfortunately, what we usually end up with is even more unenforceable bureaucracy, rather than the power to identify those responsible and bring the necessary consequences. This is not a new idea; my father tells me that on being elected the to the local council fifty years ago, he was sent on two days of courses so that he understood what was involved. One of those was about corporate responsibility, that the entire council is responsible for decisions which includes those members who voted against.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2018, 11:33:47 »

Good, we agree then.  ;D
Over the last four days, the BBC news channel has consisted of all day coverage of a wedding, all coverage of Grenfell and, today, all day coverage of the Manchester bombing anniversary. It's not new, it's not news, it just panders to the nations fascination with tragedy. (Not the wedding, of course).

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2018, 12:29:04 »

Presumably everyone involved was insured... :-X

Exactly my thoughts ................

If my house went up in flames and people was killed, would there be such a outpouring of grief ?

Would they f**k  >:(

A block of flats in londistan full of illegal immigrants who have f**k all right to be there anyway migrants goes up in flames and there is a massive outpouring of grief  >:(
Quick, roll out that tax dodging pikey bastard Sir Bob and lets all have a concert so we can ALL feel guilty and put our hands in our pockets for them  >:(
Maybe Elton can do another rendition of candle in the wind too  ::) >:(

What happened is tragic and I wouldn't wish that death on anybody. Well maybe one or two  :-X :-X
But FFS, can we for once keep things in prospective ??

Yes, feel for the poor bastards and have a whip around.
Find out why the insulation went up like that and regardless of cost, enforce changes to the building regs and make landlords put it right.

If laws have been broken, hammer the bastards responsible but please, stop this "I want to be a victim too" shite  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2018, 12:34:01 »

A good summary, TG.  :y

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.