Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Investment question.  (Read 10389 times)

STEMO

Re: Investment question.
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2018, 19:38:27 »

We have two Tesco bank accounts paying 3% up to £3K, so £180pa. There is a minimum monthly pay in a two dd's are necessary. We got in before these conditions were required, but just another one to consider.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2018, 21:06:35 »

Where we are getting towards the end of a much longer than average economic cycle, plus the current geopolitical/economic uncertainties of Brexit, US/China trade war and growing global political instability cash is king. The other reason I would look at having quickly accessible cash in that timeframe is within the 2022 general election and the black shadow of the Tories delivering a Corbyn government.

Savings rates are low, so you will do well to cover the capital loss through inflation but at least you will keep your capital in these uncertain times. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2018, 21:09:34 »

Find the best 2 x 205 GTI's or suchlike you can and put a sheet over them in the garage, or something Japanese and tasty that's coming up to 25 yr old that the yanks will like, they can import at 25 yr old and are hoovering up those little Suzuki cappuccinos and the like currently 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2018, 11:21:49 »

Since last Thursday Brexit thing the Pound is low again, whilst Im no expert if I had money to invest think I might hang on a bit untill we know whether were going to get a Deal or Not, Our Financial Markets might not be worth 2 Bob this time early next year.  :-\

Sadly, I think your spot on with that lot  >:(

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2018, 11:23:55 »

Since last Thursday Brexit thing the Pound is low again, whilst Im no expert if I had money to invest think I might hang on a bit untill we know whether were going to get a Deal or Not, Our Financial Markets might not be worth 2 Bob this time early next year.  :-\

Zirk has a point.

Currency rates and interest rates could prove to be very unpredictable  in the next year or so.

Don't be tempted by the Wellesley..........I lost a significant sum. :-\

Looked into them during the summer and heard a few horror stories too  :(
Dodgy investments on there part  >:(
« Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 11:26:33 by tigers_gonads »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2018, 11:37:54 »

There are lots of crowdfunding schemes offering high rates, and I like the idea to be honest.  :y

As said earlier it depends on your appetite for risk and I think they are all very high risk options.  Spread your £20k over 20 different schemes though and if 1 or 2 goes tits up you might still come out ahead....  :-\

Alternatively I'm sure you can buy a house in Hull for £20k!  ;D

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E665&sortType=1&includeSSTC=true

Edit: In fact you could!  :y  Just....
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2018, 11:38:29 »

Given that their ad specifically and expressly says that they are NOT covered by the FCA...
Onanists always think outside the box.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2018, 11:55:41 »

Mmmm, decisions decisions  :-\
I had a IFA recommended to me last night and will be having a work in the next week or so ........

As Zirk said, no matter what happens, the shit is going to hit the fan over the next couple of years at least so its beginning to look like its going to be a case of playing safe  :-\

Yup, i've thought about Carefully investing in a motor or 2 but the problem is storing them  :(

Question for you lot ............

Anybody stick there money in precious metals (i.e. gold or silver) ?

Also shares in large companies ?

British Petroleum ect ?

The money is a inheritance from when her mother passed away nearly 2 years ago.
Currently its sat in our lasses bog standard Lloyds bank account  :(
Not my choice believe me but with some things, she won't listen to no oppser  >:(

Sir Tiggs, we have lived in the same council house for over 27 years and would get the place for approx 50 grand (with full discount)
Its worth close to 100K and is in a pretty nice area (if you exclude me  ;D)
Again, I have been trying to get her to buy it for a good 15 years but she won't budge or listen to no oppser  :(
We ain't getting any younger and our lass is a little older then me so mortgages are out of the question.

She has a reasonably paid job in retail (Lidl) and i've just started working in retail myself because my business just never took off so that's getting wound down sadly  :(

On the plus side, we have had a zero credit / zero dept rule in the house for over 10 years now since my depts and subsequent bankruptcy very nearly destroyed this family (and my sanity).
Bottom line is, we have sweet F All but what little we do have, its ours  :y :y

I haven't even bought a lottery ticket for years  ::)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 September 2018, 12:01:30 »

There are lots of crowdfunding schemes offering high rates, and I like the idea to be honest.  :y

As said earlier it depends on your appetite for risk and I think they are all very high risk options.  Spread your £20k over 20 different schemes though and if 1 or 2 goes tits up you might still come out ahead....  :-\

Alternatively I'm sure you can buy a house in Hull for £20k!  ;D

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E665&sortType=1&includeSSTC=true

Edit: In fact you could!  :y  Just....

Just seen this  ;D ;D

Smack head city.
50 - 50 chance of getting raided by the drugs squad every month and if you ever have a car nicked around these parts, your first port of call in the garages alongside the tower blocks.
Also they may be getting flattened in the next few years (or so i've heard)  ;) ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2018, 12:12:30 »

You never know it might be the next 'Up and Coming' area  :-\  ::) , but I get what your saying.  ;D

Property is always cheap for a reason.  ;)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2018, 20:05:16 »

Just do what I do , give to the wife , it cuts out the middleman  >:(

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2018, 20:41:07 »

Question for you lot ............

Anybody stick there money in precious metals (i.e. gold or silver) ?

That's a mugs game. It's speculation that the value of some precious metal will rise. It's mostly priced in dollars too, so you've got the added currency fluctuation risk. IMV the only thing worse than gold/silver is crypto - Bitcoin and the like. Or storage pods, south American forestry plantations, etc.

Also shares in large companies ?
British Petroleum ect ?

Single shares is suicidialy high risk. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the riskiest, it probably scores about 15. If you're determined to hold shares then it should be a basket of 8-12 different companies, but £20K isn't enough to do that efficiently. Google "High Yield Portfolio".

The UK FTSE100/250/All Share isn't a good choice either. Too UK centric. If I were you I'd be picking a global tracker, something like Vanguard LifeStrategy 100% Equity Fund, or if you want something a little less volatile then the 80% or 60% versions.

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/what-we-offer/all-products

Fund charges are 0.22%, but you also need a platform (Stocks and shares ISA) to hold them on. For the sorts of values you are talking about Hargreves Lansdown are an OK choice. Not the cheapest (0.45%) but a reputation for good service. So DIY will cost you perhaps 0.67% p/a.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 September 2018, 20:46:09 »

Sky shares would have been good!

I’d be tempted to be boring and shove it in multiple ISA’s or given you location a property?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2018, 20:46:37 »

Deposit for a 1 bed flat, rent it out?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 September 2018, 21:08:40 »

Deposit for a 1 bed flat, rent it out?
If We end up with a Brexit No Deal scenario, House prices will definitely plummet, not good for most folk in the UK, but I dare say the savvy Overseas Investors will be buying them cheap with a long term recovery view.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.