Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Price of cars and newness  (Read 5010 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Price of cars and newness
« on: 15 February 2019, 23:18:37 »

We drove past a garage in Leicester and there was a car for sale at £38,500.

Spent the rest of the day looking out for older cars on the road. Saw a few 02s, an 03 and two 04s. Plus three old cars Y plate and an L and an R ( not personal plates). So concluded that most cars on the road arent old and people have money to buy them - no shortage of cars on peoples drives or house fronts. They might be being bought on loans that they cant afford or maybe lease schemes.

Am I right to conclude that people have lots of money and that a car is old at 14 years of age? If we turned the clock back say twenty years would the results have been the same then?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Price of cars and newness
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2019, 00:17:19 »

Statistically, most wealthy people, aka Everyday Millionaires as Chris Hogan calls them, never buy a brand new car.

Most new cars are brought on finance, whether it's a lease or HP or property equity release.

Also buying/running an older car doesn't mean that it has to be a complete shitter ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2019, 00:45:11 »

We have three cars two 2005 & one is a 2000 model year all in excellent condition & not worth a lot , would never get into debt for a car, lots of wealthy farmers round here majority have older vehicles, lot of "snob" value in having the latest reg amongst people.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2019, 07:44:39 »

We try to look for 1 or 2 year old cars, or even pre-reg. The savings, off list price, are huge. I was looking at an astra K on the trader. 2.0 diesel, auto, elite, 66reg, around 12,000 miles, £12000. Less than half of the original price.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2019, 10:35:33 »

I don't imagine anyone pays full list price for a car unless they are a complete imbecile.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2019, 11:07:11 »

I don't imagine anyone pays full list price for a car unless they are a complete imbecile.

Quite agree Opti have a price in mind that you're prepared to pay if they won't agree simply walk away.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2019, 11:42:55 »

some buy on finance and pay more than list price ,some buy older cars on finance and are probably still paying finance off after the shed quality used car is cubed  :P

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2019, 12:00:55 »

As soon as you pay monthlies for a car, you will be paying at least full price, whether it's by way of fees or interest.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2019, 12:02:25 »

some buy on finance and pay more than list price ,some buy older cars on finance and are probably still paying finance off after the shed quality used car is cubed  :P
. Quite agree, I know colleagues at work who have no idea about APR just buy cars on a whim one guy is continually in debt always buys BMWs doesn't maintain them correctly & swops them as soon as any repairs might be looming, hammers the overtime just to pay for a car interestingly enough there was a chat on the radio a couple of weeks ago saying a very high percentage of vehicles spend over 80 percent of their existence parked up.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2019, 12:05:45 by Tilbo »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2019, 12:05:38 »

That figure might be accurate, but also might have been conjured up for political/ecomental reasons...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2019, 12:16:47 »

There is a school of thought that the list price of cars these days is held artificially high to part finance the inevitable loan and make the APR look attractive.

Needless to say, that would make me run a mile from any new car. Even if they were making one I actually wanted. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2019, 13:11:16 »

As soon as you pay monthlies for a car, you will be paying at least full price, whether it's by way of fees or interest.

Fortunately I've always been able to pay in cash. I've yet to sample the dubious delights of PCP/HP.

When I recently looked into PCP the sums only seemed to make sense if you make the final balloon payment, which about 90% don't.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2019, 13:17:20 »

People laugh when I say I pay cash for everything , but I still believe cash is king, haven't paid interest on anything since 1987 must have saved a fortune , as for PCP don't want a euro shitbox, prefer to be different and own things outright.😀
« Last Edit: 16 February 2019, 13:24:19 by Tilbo »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 February 2019, 14:15:13 »

Quite agree Opti have a price in mind that you're prepared to pay if they won't agree simply walk away.

That works if you're looking at an Also Ran mainstream motor, but if it's something a bit different, the dealer will already know & will dig his/her heals in.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2019, 17:27:39 »

People laugh when I say I pay cash for everything , but I still believe cash is king, haven't paid interest on anything since 1987 must have saved a fortune , as for PCP don't want a euro shitbox, prefer to be different and own things outright.😀

Absolutely agree 100%. My belief and how I was brought up was    If you want something you save up and buy it. Then look after it .
Unfortunately in my case I've taken the 'look after it 'to extremes and own many things now not just cars that I've had 30 years or more.
I've got my old cars and also my modern ' nearly new ' 2003 omega !.
To me anything newer than 2000 is a nearly new car .
Girlfriends sister was complaining that her mini is getting a bit old now so may have to change it. It's a 2015 model !

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2019, 17:46:33 »

Hmm I must be weird then,
only ever pay cash always have and have never had HP OR whatever they call it now,never had a credit card to much interest on them puppies,
And we own 2000 toyota rav 4 plus the 02 merc sprinter camper,
would never buy anything newer than 02 and wont have wrong wheel drive lol :y mainly because older vehicles are much better built than newer models, and fwd is just wrong, it was only invented for cheapness,if it was any good then 40 ton artics would use it, neve gonna happen!
prefer to sort them meself servicing and repairs no matter what it needs doing,
none of our cars have never been to a garage exCept for the annual MOT

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2019, 18:09:01 »

I just couldn't do with the mauling about with cash. My credit card is used for various things each month but paid off in full each month.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2019, 22:12:06 »

So what is the conclusion?

There are more newer cars on the road compared with twenty years ago?

Cars last and look better as they age compared to twenty  years ago?

Leasing, PP or whatever  deals mean more virtually new cars on the road?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2019, 22:19:35 »

So what is the conclusion?

There are more newer cars on the road compared with twenty years ago?

Cars last and look better as they age compared to twenty  years ago?

Leasing, PP or whatever  deals mean more virtually new cars on the road?
Yes.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2019, 22:24:37 »

This might answer your question...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/608374/vehicle-licensing-statistics-2016.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwip2MPipMHgAhVoURUIHcBcAScQFjAMegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2GM-MI6TGbo9Ds8fQFrhFR

Basically car registrations have increased year on year, so it stands to reason that not only are there more cars, but also that there are proportionately fewer older cars ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 February 2019, 23:17:38 »

Yes that seems quite reasonable. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2019, 09:20:18 »

Am I right to conclude that people have lots of money

Yes. We are all rich because we stopped paying ex-pats winter fuel allowances.

and that a car is old at 14 years of age?

God yes. Old, potentially financially ruinous if it is anything remotely interesting (i.e. not a Nissan Micra), probably rusty and will need constant work.

If we turned the clock back say twenty years would the results have been the same then?

Well, if the moany lot who go on about how they could buy a house for £3500 back in 1976 and that was only 2x their annual wage are to be believed, you all had much more money back then. And a 14 year old car would have been crushed already after the engine had died, the chassis had rotted clean through and it had left you stranded on the road-side 50 times in the last 30 days  :P ;D

In reality, though:

In 1996 I owned (briefly) a 1978 Austin Allegro; an 18 year old car. It was hopelessly knackered, rusty, leaked enough water through the corners of the windscreen to fill the footwells, the hydro.. I won't call it what we called it.. the Hydragas suspension was shot, 4th gear synchro was dead, and it wouldn't start unless you bounced it downhill.

By contrast, the 2003 Toyota MR2 I used to own (so now 16 years old) is still on the road - it isn't rusty, the engine didn't skip a beat despite having a hard life on track (until very recently when IIRC it's most recent owner killed it outright), doesn't leak etc etc..

Cars are much better. People have more disposable income *or* are more apt to take finance (ignoring the statistical outliers that are the curmudgeonly old buggers who hang out here ;)) and prefer their cars to be like their kitchen white goods - they work, and when they are a few years old and there is a risk they might not work, they change them for new ones that don't have a risk of leaving them stranded without clean knickers. IMHO, anyway.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 February 2019, 09:32:15 »

Is it the right time to mention that ouir washing machine has now turned 20? ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 18 February 2019, 09:36:50 »

Are you still making Mrs KW stand over a Twin Tub??

;)

(That one is much fancier than my mother's was, there were no colours on hers or fancy plastic doors!)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 February 2019, 09:39:08 »

Bah! There's years left in her mangle yet! ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 February 2019, 10:06:00 »

What make? Ours is an LG and is fifteen. It has had an anti calcium build up tab  with each wash

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 February 2019, 11:45:42 »

I expect neither of you are hammering the hell out of it as you don't currently have kids (who account for probably 2/3 of  our washing so its getting used, in theory, three times as much)  :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 February 2019, 12:05:46 »

What make? Ours is an LG and is fifteen. It has had an anti calcium build up tab  with each wash
so at 4 washes a week for 15 years (3120 washes) calgon in tesco(quick google 12 quid for 45 tabs) = 70 boxes x 12 quid = 840 quid  :o
 ??? I don't put calgon in the shopping basket (and nor does Mrs Builder)current machine ,10 years old,hard water area , so far it's had a set of motor brushes ,at 7 quid  :P

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 February 2019, 12:16:11 »

I think all the scale build up in my 15 year old Zanussi holds it together!  ;D  No calgon for me!  :o  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 February 2019, 12:30:20 »

so at 4 washes a week for 15 years (3120 washes) calgon in tesco(quick google 12 quid for 45 tabs) = 70 boxes x 12 quid = 840 quid :o
 ??? I don't put calgon in the shopping basket (and nor does Mrs Builder)current machine ,10 years old,hard water area , so far it's had a set of motor brushes ,at 7 quid  :P

So the jingle should really be......'washing machines are more expensive with Calgon' :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 February 2019, 12:56:51 »

so at 4 washes a week for 15 years (3120 washes) calgon in tesco(quick google 12 quid for 45 tabs) = 70 boxes x 12 quid = 840 quid :o

So the jingle should really be......'washing machines last longer if you don't overload them and check the pump filter regularly , and when the washing machine rattles itself apart ,buy a new one ' :)
FTFY  :y

to add, if you use a tumble dryer all the time, it;s better to get a 1600 spin washer rather than a 1000 spin , saves on the electric usage of the dryer , although a washing line uses far less electricity  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 February 2019, 13:07:14 »

Have you looked out of the window today?  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 February 2019, 13:41:35 »

so at 4 washes a week for 15 years (3120 washes) calgon in tesco(quick google 12 quid for 45 tabs) = 70 boxes x 12 quid = 840 quid  :o

Because it is such a problem in Spain even premium anti cal tabs are cheap , no rip off Britain. If you dont use them the appliances only last a couple of years. Tumble drier?  Dont need one , we use the big yellow thing in the sky. Not seen it here in England, no doubt due to Brexit.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 February 2019, 15:55:11 »

Ours is a Zanussi.

It has not been without the odd bit of maintenance, of course. I think it's on its 3rd set of bearings, and on the last failure I didn't investigate the "funny noise" (= about 130dBA on spin  ::) ) quickly enough to avoid it giving the spider a battering, so it got a new one of those too. ::)

I think it's had a set of motor brushes and the last time it was apart I popped a new heater in it for good measure, although the old one wasn't too bad. Connectors to the motor also got a bodge at one point, due to a connection that had failed.

The pump is getting a bit noisy, so I've got a new one waiting to go in.

The reason I'm determined not to let it die, is that it's an awful lot more maintainable than the more modern shite, and it is a washer dryer that actually dries reasonably well, which seems to be unobtainable now.

I expect neither of you are hammering the hell out of it as you don't currently have kids (who account for probably 2/3 of  our washing so its getting used, in theory, three times as much)  :y

This is very true, of course. ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 February 2019, 16:06:25 »

Should have said that we live in quite a hard water area and for most of its life the machine has been straight off the mains water. There was only any scale worth mentioning on the element when I've had it apart, and even then it was still entirely serviceable. It's now fed from the water softener.

Given that a new element was about 15 quid, I'd say adding any descaling potions is a false economy if you're handy with the spanners.

Machines that I've fixed for relatives in the past have been in a dreadful state with horrible stinking sludge everywhere internally. I suspect this is the result of washing everything at 30 degrees C and always using the "quick wash" programme. ::) Ours gets used at 60 C by default for anything that isn't fragile. That's probably as good a preventive maintenance as any other.

Lots of modern machines don't even reach the temperatures advertised in order to reduce energy use and add tree-hugger appeal.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 February 2019, 18:48:59 »

Can,t beat a white goods thread.  ;D. Oh, it isn,t supposed to be. :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 February 2019, 20:06:04 »

Yes, we appear to have gone a bit "mumsnet". ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 February 2019, 20:52:06 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 February 2019, 15:43:27 »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 February 2019, 18:04:00 »

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.