Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: old style petrol stations  (Read 2825 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
old style petrol stations
« on: 10 August 2018, 13:33:22 »

http://autoshite.com/topic/24237-shite-places-to-buy-fuel-now-includes-thatched-petrol-station-i-kid-you-not-110718/page-2

A forum member posted this website as being of interest. Had a look and found this interesting thread with photos of old fashioned petrol stations. I remember some from my youth. There was one on the Colwick Road opposite Trent Bridge cricket ground where you just pulled up in the road and got filled from roadside pumps.

There has been some good dramas on BBC (like Hinterland and Hidden) set in Wales. Similar petrol stations exist there ! Again in my youth back in the 70's I remember Mr Jones petrol station which was a roadside pump on a T junction near Llangranog. You tooted your horn if you wanted serving.

Anyone else know of old style stations now or indeed remembers them ?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: old style petrol stations
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2018, 14:40:23 »

Love it!
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2018, 14:58:03 »

This garage was in Abergavenny up until a few years ago, filling up from the roadside, although not so sure about the double yellow lines being there when it was in use.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2018, 15:02:19 »

http://autoshite.com/topic/24237-shite-places-to-buy-fuel-now-includes-thatched-petrol-station-i-kid-you-not-110718/page-2

A forum member posted this website as being of interest. Had a look and found this interesting thread with photos of old fashioned petrol stations. I remember some from my youth. There was one on the Colwick Road opposite Trent Bridge cricket ground where you just pulled up in the road and got filled from roadside pumps.

There has been some good dramas on BBC (like Hinterland and Hidden) set in Wales. Similar petrol stations exist there ! Again in my youth back in the 70's I remember Mr Jones petrol station which was a roadside pump on a T junction near Llangranog. You tooted your horn if you wanted serving.

Anyone else know of old style stations now or indeed remembers them ?

Langrannog ? They let you in there then ?

If it's the same place on the main road at the turn off for Llangrannog, it is still there, but also a thriving general shop. I go there quite often, usually for Calor gas.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1351595,-4.438956,3a,75y,69.29h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbn64lh-YpU_vXGv0i2HI3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

« Last Edit: 10 August 2018, 15:04:23 by Mister Rog »
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2018, 15:31:08 »

We used to go from work in the Midlands. A woman had a holiday cottage there infested with mice.

The place as I remember it was on a very rural T junction with a pump by the roadside. That building looks quite new. I will ask my mate if he remembers it.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2018, 15:51:06 »

I dread filling up in places like that - normally when I'm in the back of beyond touring in the kit car. The engine normally pinks like mad until I can fill it up at somewhere that gets a bit more turnover. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2018, 17:10:50 »

I dread filling up in places like that - normally when I'm in the back of beyond touring in the kit car. The engine normally pinks like mad until I can fill it up at somewhere that gets a bit more turnover. ;D

Ah, memories of going from Trac Mon to the only petrol station for miles around that did Super ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2018, 18:12:35 »

Ah, memories of going from Trac Mon to the only petrol station for miles around that did Super ;D

.. and no doubt wondering if the 95 RON might be a better bet anyway seeing as they might have had their bulk tank replenished sometime within the last decade... ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2018, 18:13:57 »

.. and no doubt wondering if the 95 RON might be a better bet anyway seeing as they might have had their bulk tank replenished sometime within the last decade... ;D

Yep! I'm sure the only time he does any trade in Super is when there's a track day on. I seem to remember it being rather expensive, too.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2018, 19:41:51 »

Yes there is an old fashioned type garage in Goudhurst, Kent but a lot posher than the one in the picture.

The one I am thinking of has two pumps outside and restores / sells classic cars.  Petrol though is some 15p a litre more expensive than anywhere else!!  But it is a lovely old fashioned outfit! :D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2018, 19:45:14 »

There are still a few independents round here.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2018, 12:06:18 »

Back in the day people knew you were driving a 'performance car' when you reached for the 5 star pump.

It was worth an inch in length and two inches in girth.  :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2018, 12:09:07 »

Back in the day people knew you were driving a 'performance car' when you reached for the 5 star pump.

.. until they noticed you were putting it into a mustard coloured Marina Coupe. ::)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2018, 12:09:33 »

Ah . . . . a substitute then  ::)
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2018, 12:13:46 »

.. until they noticed you were putting it into a mustard coloured Marina Coupe. ::)

Even rocket fuel won't make a Marina attractive to girls. Blind girls could be an option though. :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.